Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 10:52

Plan: dr brienstien
Stats: 143/142/120 Female 5'3.5
BF:
Progress:
Default confused about SUGAR and DAIRY

sooo i have a few questions...regarding phase 1 -SB diet

1) if this is a no sugar diet.. then its okay to have dairy products and skim milk that have sugar? doesnt that effect the weight loss ??

2) how much carbs can you have in total ?

3) what to do about constipation and bloating?

thank you kindly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 12:36

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Hi rish, and WELCOME! I'll do the best I can with your questions, but let me tell you in advance that I don't know ANYTHING about the SB diet, but I do know an awful lot about Dr. Bernstein. I see in your profile that Dr. Bernstein's plan is your chosen plan, so that's what I'll comment on. (My son is type 1 diabetic, and we embraced Dr. Bernstein's way of eating (WOE) as a way to help control the diabetes, along with regular insulin injections and exercise. We are thrilled with the results...this method WORKS.)

About DAIRY: Most dairy products contain lactose, which is a sugar. The lower the fat, the higher the sugar. The only dairy Dr. Bernstein recommends ingesting is high fat whipping cream (35% fat) in small amounts, i.e. you use it to lighten your tea or coffee, or maybe to make a hot chocolate. 2Tbsp of whipping cream will not affect your blood sugars.

You can also eat cheese as long as the carb count is quite low. The hard cheeses (cheddar) have the lowest amount of carbs.

Sour cream (high fat) can be used in small amounts too, as can yogurt. Just check the label for the carb count.

How many carbs in total? Dr. Bernstein recommends following the 6-12-12 plan: 6g of carbs at bkfst, 12 at lunch, and 12 at supper. These carbs should come only from vegetables (not the starchy ones!) or from high fat dairy. The rest of your meal will be protein and fat. Try not to snack...if you must, choose a very low carb snack, ideally a protein.

Constipation and bloating may be a temporary thing due to the drastic change in your diet. Drink, drink, drink that water! That will probably do the trick. Also take calcium/magnesium supplements...the magnesium in particular will get you moving!

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 14:53

BF:
Progress:

thank you for your reply, you sure answered my concerns..
i m not currently on Dr B, just because i didnt see me losing weight for the last 2 weeks and thought it was a waste of time.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 15:04

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

in that case, on SB:

you are allowed up to cups of low fat or fat free dairy per day (milk or yogurt)- cheese is considered a protein.

carbs are not counted on SB. Just eat the correct amounts of the allowed foods for each stage

for bloating and constipation- I think Sue already gave you great advice.
It's most likely just a little shock to your system.

You might want to post in the SB forum, too.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 16:16

BF:
Progress:

will do thanks so much