Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 08:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/161/120 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I've gone on the Fat Fast a few times. I find its the only thing that really gets me into ketosis. When I first did Atkins a year ago i didnt loose a pound during induction and found the fat fast on the web site and gave it a go. I lost 5 pounds in 5 days then moved on to induction. Now I do it anytime i feel I might be slipping out of ketosis for a few days. i usually eat a 1 egg omelet fried in sunflower oil in the morning with a slice of brie cheese grilled on top. For lunch I have around 30g walnuts(68.5% fat, the highest fat content I could find). Then in the evening I have a 2 egg omelet with brie cheese. This may sound a bit boring but I usually only do it for 3 or 4 days and the brie cheese omelets are lovely. I dont loose that much weight on the fat fast, not even a pound a day, but it helps me get into ketosis easily and i dont find it that hard to do. Saves me loads of money for the week as well which is important cause I'm a student.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 10:49

Stats: 140.5/121/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default the results

finished a 5-day fat fast yesterday, the results: 3 lb loss.

not the most thrilling results, but I'll take it. At least I got below 126, which seemed like it wasn't going to happen on Induction. I realize now that I was eating too much salad, too large and too much Splenda in the dressing, not enough water.

this is how it went:

each day I drank at least 8-10 8 oz glasses of water, had a 10 oz mug of decaf coffee with 1/4 cup h. cream and two packets of Splenda in the morning. Cut out my afternoon mug of decaf tea with h. cream and 2 Splenda.

Day One: ate a small filet of beef, fried in canola oil, sliced and 2 Tablespoons of 0-carb bleu cheese dressing divided into three servings. 1 oz macs divided into 2 servings. Lost 1 lb.

Day Two: 2 1/2 cup servings sugar-free jello with 1/4 cup heavy cream each, sugarless ham salad made with mayo, 1 oz mac divided into 2. Lost 1 lb.

Day Three: 2 oz chicken salad, 1 oz macs. Went out with friends and had three glasses of wine Gained 1 lb back.

Day Four: 4 oz chicken salad, divided, 4 oz havarti cheese with caraway seeds, 2 1/2 cup serving of sugar-free jello with 1/4 cup h. cream. Lost that drat and bother lb.

Day Five: (yesterday) 1 oz chicken salad with 1 oz macs, 2 oz ham butter with 2 oz cream cheese, 1/2 oz macs with 1 oz cream cheese. Lost 1 lb.

I know, I know, the glaring mistake was having wine while on the ff, but it was Memorial Day for goodness sakes!

all in all, though, it wasn't that hard, the first 2 days I wasn't hungry, but the fourth day I was really hungry, probably from having wine the day before.

Yesterday went fine though, back on track. As others have said, all the little 'meals' kept me from hunger, it was just enough to keep hunger at bay.

today I'm on the modified fat fast, will stay on for five more days, no wine. I'm very satisfied with the results of the FF, will try it again sometime.

Thanks, Val, for your good wishes! Actually, while I am new to the boards, I have been LC-ing since 2000, not a newbie where Atkins is concerned. I've posted my history elswhere, but I guess I should have maybe mentioned it here too. Didn't want to bore others by repeating all that, blah, blah...

Last edited by VAgrrl : Thu, Jun-03-04 at 17:02.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 17:00
Registered Member

Stats: 172/145/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 73%
Unhappy Exercise & Fat Fast

Has anyone tried doing the fat fast and while on an exercise regimen? I'm curious.

Last edited by Shai1113 : Sat, Jul-03-04 at 17:07.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

depending on how accustomed your body is to burning fat, how many calories you currently consumed and what KIND of exercise regime you have you could have no prob or you just have to say forget it. The first time I did one I was exhausted and could not even think about exercising. Now.. I'm tired, can't work out as hard.. but it's not a big deal. If you can't do what you're used to, walking and running for a week is fine, add some calisthenics and you're good to go.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 22:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks

Meg thanks for the info. I figured this but I didn't know if others were feeling the utter malaise that I've been feeling on the fat fast. I feel like doing it longer than it's prescribed but would also feel guilty if I couldn't work out. I guess I should go with how I feel while doing it, rather than trying to overdo it. Thanks again for your post.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 18:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default Help!

I've done the fat fast for about 3+ weeks and lost 5lbs.
(Even though that doesn't seem like much compared to some of you on it for a week and lose 8 lbs!)

Well the reason I went on the fat fast in the first place was because although I was getting smaller in size, the scale wouldn't move an ounce for months! Well maybe an ounce here and there. (and no I haven't been working out, gaining muscle or anything).

Anyway, now I'm wondering about going back on Induction. Has anyone experienced going on the fat fast, losing weight, then going back on Induction and become stalled again??! Since I've had such a hard time losing weight and seem to be incredibly metabolically resistant, I want to know if anyone has experienced such stubborn weight loss that even after the fat fast, Induction didn't work? Stalled again?

...and how long can someone be on the fat fast anyway? It seems to be the only thing that has been able to break through that barrier, I just want to continue to lose weight. makes me want to stay on it forever if it's the only thing that'll work ...but how long can I really eat this way. I'm committed but get tired of the food and the lack of energy. Any suggestions or answers to any of my questions? Please help.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 12:59

Stats: 140.5/121/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I gladly went off the FF after 5 days! no way could I stay on it for longer--so I slaute your dedication for staying on so long.

after I went back to Induction, tho, I gained a pound back so my net loss was only 2 lbs.--not really worth it, in my view. Although I didn't really do it properly b/c I had wine while on it. Probably won't do the FF again though.

If I remember correctly Atkins cautions against staying on the diet for longer than 5 days, don't think it would be healthy for longer periods.

I felt a loss of energy too. The feeling of lethargy is probably your body telling you it needs more food
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 20:44
Registered Member

BF:

Well thanks for the post VAgrrl. I do belive you would've had better results if you didn't have any wine. Wine is calories and sugar without any fat so that would've defeated the purpose of the fat fast. I find it working for me though.

My worry was going back on Induction, but I'm no longer worried about that. I'm not going to add L-Carnitine.

I read it on another tips and stalls thread called
"18 mo. stall ended with L-Carnitine"
it might be useful for those with crawling weight loss.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 16:45

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 220/214/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 9%

Fat Fast *sigh* I've never felt worst in my life. I was on it for TWO days, lost 1lb and a lot of energy. As soon as I got off the fast, I had this bad urge for carbs and food. I cheated! I cheated all right. I had rice and fish curry! I had two low carb ice cream bars, low carb wrap.. and God knows what...
I was kind of disappointed with that, but athe next morning I weighed 2lbs ligher! Finally after like 2 weeks I had lost something! What a relief! So I am thinking either the fat fast initiated it, or I was having too little food. Either way, something worked.

During the fat fast, I only ate cream cheese and macadamian nuts, which tasted like pure fat to me. I got sick of it, but I guess if I had more choices of food I would've stuck to it longer.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 17:24
Registered Member

BF:

Ahsatan, the fat fast is very difficult, no doubt. It's suggested by Atkins if you find you are metabolically resistant, so that may be why it helped. Even though it was only for two days. If you've read my posts, I've been doing it for weeks, with one weekend off (only to regular Induction) and then back on. Also check my last post for another thread that is worth checking out. If you believe in yourself and surround yourself with positive people you will accomplish your goals, weight loss and other wise. My friend gave me a quote worth sharing today...

"If you want to soar with the Eagles, you can't sit around with the Chickens!"
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 03:10
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy

Okay guys, I had to go off the fat fast because I was taking some medication that required me to eat more food. I totally went off everything, even low-carbing. Figured since I've been metabolically resistant it might've been because of restricting my calories so low for so long (was doing the fat fast for a few weeks.) Heck I was metabolically resistant before I went on the fat fast... that's why I went on it!
Well today I go back on the fat fast. I'm going to do it the way it is suggested 5 days first phase and then 5 days the modified fat fast.
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/21-237659.html
Wish me luck because I can see that I gained some since going off! Hopefully I'll be back on track in a few days and it will all just fall back off! The fat fast is tough... I'm not looking forward to how I will feel, but I know I can do it.. and I DO want it badly enough! hehehe... I'll let everyone know how I'm doing!
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 15:19

Stats: 350/205/180 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 85%

In all honesty, if you loose weight slowly then starving on a fat or meat fast is really the only way to loose weight that won't come back.

No pain no gain though, the weight will always be there to loose untill you loose it so just pace yourself and do it in chunks.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 20:26
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks BD231 I appreciate the support. I went on the fat fast in the first place to break through a stall. It's suggested that when you have a stall on low carb, this is sometimes necessary because you may be metabolically resistant which it became evident that I was. I agree that the pace in whcih you lose can be the pace you gain it back.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 21:16
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'2''
BF:23%/22.5%/18
Progress: 70%
Thumbs up FF is working for me as well!!!!

I am finishing my third day of FF and I lost already three pounds and a half. I started with 116.5

I made my goal, I am so happy. Please, I need some advice for not to regain the weight back

Saludos

Agua
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 11:09
Registered Member

BF:

Well Agua Fresc, I know some people say they gain it back and some don't gain it back. I think the key it to finish it for the prescribed time (5 days regular fat fast, 5 days modified fat fast) then go directly to Induction. (20 grams of carbs or less from green veggies mostly, and carbohydrate free proteins and cheeses).. Like prescribed in Atkins. If you're not familiar with it you can always go to the Atkins website at www.atkins.com and it tells you exactly what you can and can't do on Induction. I think if you go to regular low carbing instead of Induction the chances are higher that you will gain the weight back.