Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:35

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default 'Yo-yo diets hit immune system'

BBC News report

Women who repeatedly lose weight only to put it back on again could be damaging their immune systems, according to a study.
Doctors in the United States questioned 114 women who were overweight but were otherwise healthy.

They found that those who said they had a history of so-called "yo-yo" dieting had weaker immune systems.

Writing in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, they urged women against yo-yo dieting.

Killer cells

Doctors from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle took blood samples from each of the women who took part in the study.

They measured levels of their natural killer cells. These white blood cells are the backbone of the immune system, helping to kill viruses and protect against cancer.

The doctors found that women who had been the same weight over several years had higher levels of these cells. Those who had gone on yo-yo diets had much lower levels.

For instance, those who reported losing weight more than five times had about a third fewer natural killer cells.

The doctors said further research is needed to confirm these findings.

However, they said the study appeared to suggest that yo-yo dieting was bad for health.

"There's clear evidence that weight loss is beneficial for your health," said Cornelia Ulrich, a research assistant professor at the centre.

"What we're concerned about is this pattern of weight cycling where women go up and down."

She added that exercising to lose weight could be the answer, since it is known to boost the immune system.

The American Dietetic Association welcomed the study. Its spokeswoman Katherine Tallmadge urged people to avoid fad diets and to try to make long-lasting changes to the way they eat.

"Study after study shows that more moderate restrictions are more likely to last permanently," she said.

"That's why we registered dieticians are urging people not to do the fad diets and just try small changes that they're more likely to be able to live with - even if the weight loss is slower."

That view was backed by Nigel Denby of the British Dietetic Association.

"Sensible healthy eating combined with an increase in physical activity really is the perfect recipe for successful and more importantly maintainable weight loss," he told BBC News Online.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3768859.stm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 13:43

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I don't know of anyone who intentionally yoyo diets. They just try to lose weight by following some plan, (low-fat and weight watchers are popular), lose some weight and fall off the diet because it is too hard to stay on and then regain the weight. Nobody says "I am going to lose 20 lbs and then regain it."
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 14:30

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I don't know of anyone who intentionally yoyo diets. They just try to lose weight by following some plan, (low-fat and weight watchers are popular), lose some weight and fall off the diet because it is too hard to stay on and then regain the weight. Nobody says "I am going to lose 20 lbs and then regain it."

It's not just that it's too hard. It's that they see it as a diet, not a way of life. Many people even do that with low-carbing. Those of us who are/will be successful at keeping the weight off are the ones who realize this is for life. And I certainly wouldn't want to live low-fat/high-carb/low-cal all my life. Low-carb is much easier and more satisfying (and I won't have to live low-cal, that part is a diet ).
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 15:32

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I really disagree with the whole hurts your immune system! OK I am going to be mean on this one "WHATEVER!!"

I have a auto-immune disorder (Alopecia Areata) and this diet has helped me with that, I no longer have to take my medicine for any immune disorder that I have!! So thats a lie!!! Big time!!