Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 20:22

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

I had it happen again tonight, was talking to my mom on the phone, i have a severe sore throat and my voice is very hoarse. She asked if i thought it was due to my diet - no mom my diet has nothing to do with it. Well are you getting enough vitamins - yes mom i take a multi vitamin everyday.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 20:29

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
I had it happen again tonight, was talking to my mom on the phone, i have a severe sore throat and my voice is very hoarse. She asked if i thought it was due to my diet - no mom my diet has nothing to do with it. Well are you getting enough vitamins - yes mom i take a multi vitamin everyday.

yeah! I told my mum I had slightly elevated blood pressure, so she never shuts up about my diet! I've been reading protein power, I highly recommend it. Like probably most on a CKD I started to lose body fat, but after reading Protein Power I realised I'm really doing a great thing for my general health.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 20:36

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

I am lucky in that regard, i have been fat forever, i am 32 now and still haven't had any problems with my blood pressure no matter if i was low carbing or not.

But i figure it is time to lose some pounds rather than pushing my luck since i figure the odds are against me.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 20:38

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
I am lucky in that regard, i have been fat forever, i am 32 now and still haven't had any problems with my blood pressure no matter if i was low carbing or not.

But i figure it is time to lose some pounds rather than pushing my luck since i figure the odds are against me.

well this is why you should read Protein Power!!! It talks a lot about insulin and insulin resistance which happens with age. So the longer you push it the more side effects you'll see!!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 08:43

Plan: Adkins-With tweaks
Stats: 182.5/166.2/140 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Family Being A Pain In The ***

I fully understant what everyone is going through. My husband is one of those skinny poeple that drive the rest of us insane. He doesn't have to try. He would like me to loose weight, but not really supportive. Actually on the grally side because I can't stop binging. Anyway, family tell me I'm just right, or going to float away in the breaze. Most are a little heavy. Im 40 lbs. over weight. Even my therepist thinks my size is perfect, women should be rounded. Please! There is no encouragement. Last night I fixed mashed potatoes for the family. My son actually pushed me to eat them because they were soooo good, he said. My jerk of husband, put a spoon under my nose like hes going to teese me. Ya right! I think people like fat, even though they claim they don't. Maybe there afraid what will happen when we loose the weight?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 12:54

Plan: Healthy Low Carb
Stats: 190/143.6/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Don't want to know
Progress: 71%

It's too bad your family is messing with you. Maybe you could give them a list of things they could make for you, especially Grandma, so they won't feel so rejected and keep questioning your choices.

I'm a mom and keep both fat and carbs in the house. I'm constantly thinking that my kids can eat some of the carbs, but then shouldn't eat the fat, or eat the fat, but no carbs.....but they are too young to restrict totally. Anyway, I have all of it in my house. You learn to get comfortable with what you eat, even if everyone else is eating other things, and I think it makes you stronger. I make bagels and peanutbutter sandwiches on a regular basis, but can't wait for my eggs and bacon!

Good luck!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-08, 05:36

BF:

I doh't mind eating differently most of the time. Oh, yesterday, my husband left cheeze its on his plate and just slid them to the middle of the table. I felt really weird inside! I wanted to eat them. I dumped them down the garbage disposal. Something about that disposal just makes me feel great!
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 21:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF (F-5)
Stats: 182/172/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I have absolutely no patience with those who crown themselves The Food Police! EACH OF US IS OUR OWN BOSS--and the sooner you make people understand--rudely if you have to--that your WOE is your own private business, the easier your life will be.

I always handle any funny looks and questions by telling a partial truth. Nobody around here could understand what I am actually doing anyhow(they are all WeightWatcher Steptford Wives or low-fatters.) So I never try to explain--just say, "Oh, I come from a long line of diabetics and have a screwed up blood sugar--cant handle starches or sugars." And guess what--people fall all over themselves being helpful! They have sympathy for this poor little pre-diabetic --no one even gives me a second thought anymore . I eat my steamed broccoli and meat when we go out to dinner and that is that. At parties, I just nurse a seltzer with a lime twist and move around a lot and visit.

My husband is tall and naturally slim and doesnt eat like I do but he lets me eat whatever I want and never says a word--neither do my grown kids. They're fine with this because they see how good I feel and the weight is coming off slowly but surely. I have boundless energy most of the time and carbs make me mean as hell, and depressed, and tired, so no one is going to guilt me into eating crap and they all know it so it is a non-issue.

I have never felt I had to justify my eating habits or anything else to anyone since I was young--We are adults for God's sake and dont have to go around making excuses for what we eat. When someone makes the mistake of crowding me, I get very sharp-tongued. Since I have a very calm and reasonable disposition the rest of the time, people generally dont try to make me unhappy (and nasty) by barging into something that is none of their business..

And hey, if someone has nothing better to do than scrutinize what someone else is eating, they need to GET A LIFE! And I would never hesitate to tell them so: My body. My food choices. Go stuff a doughnut in your mouth and leave me alone.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 09:03

BF:

You have it there! My sons 1st b-day party. 2 weeks ago, I looked at lot diff than the last time my father and his wife saw me! His wife asked me if I lost weight. I wasn't going to say a word. I just said yes and let it go. Well they had to ask how I did it. Stupid them! They really don't want to know, so why ask? I told them I ate LC. My dad started in on the speach, you know, unhealthy, loosing my hair, lack of energy. Where do they get all this crap. On top of it, dad has always been against heavy people. He's big now! His wife, she just wants an easy way to loose her weight. She's been heavier for ever, now he's heavier, they can do what they want, just don't tell me about it.

22nd of July, I'm going to Florida to meat my grandfather and his friend. I've already sent them pics. Explained to his friend that I can't have any form of sugar because of my cravings. Not a word from them on this subject. Mom has told me, that they believe I'm to skinny and there is no reason for me to limit the food. Going to spend a week with people that think I'm to skinny Mom says we will not eat out, and her and I are going to buy the groceries. She says I'm to eat what I want. That doesn't help the comments and funny looks.

Jacki