Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 16:52

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 257/253/143
BF:
Progress: 4%
Cool greetings from the Holy Land

Hi

Anyone out there from Israel by any chance?

Or am I the only person in the entire country who is low carbing?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 13:34

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 167/143/135 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Hi to Israel

The lack of response kind of indicates that you might be the only one out there, however we are all here to support you no matter how far away !!!! Hope you are doing well on LC. I am in my 3rd week and am amazed that I am never hungry. Have lost 10 lbs and hope to get through "the holidays" without falling overboard too much.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 13:41

BF:

Hi
Yes, thats what I was thinking!

Thanks for the e-mail and support. Especially welcome at the moment as there was a very bad terrorist attack about an hour ago. Well, I wont depress you.

Well done on the fantastic weight loss, you are doing brilliantly and I hope it continues. I am losing weight very slowly, the first 2 weeks on induction I lost 2kilos but now about 2 kilos in 3 weeks. Better than nothing though.

Again, thanks for writing.
Harley
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 13:50

BF:
Default Hi Harley

Sorry to hear about the attack, it makes me sick to think of anyone innocent, in danger.

Help me out, do you know what the equivalent of pounds and Kilos is??
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 14:07

BF:

Hiya

1 kilo=2.2lbs

The holidays really are the hardest, at the moment the festival food is doughnuts and fried potato cakes. There is the smell of doughnuts everywhere and driving me crazy. I dont even want to think what Im going to do when confronted with x.mas cake! (any ideas - apart from saying no and to break down sobbing)

Harley
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 14:18

BF:
Default Potatoes are my downfall

It will be tough for both of us. I love fried potatoes in any shape or form. This and bagels are my biggest downfalls and I can have neither. At any rate, I have been using the low carb Atkins bars, which I can conveniently pick up at the grocery store. If I have a sudden urge to eat, they are either in my purse or right down the street. Can you order stuff like that online and have it shipped??? I can't imagine you can just run down the street to buy them, however I may be wrong. Hang in there. Cheating on this diet is a no no, it really sets you back. Not to say that I haven't cheated, but I am less inclined to because it really can mess up your progress.

Lisa (thin2win)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 14:33

BF:
Default odd

No not you, I just wrote a long letter to you and it disapeared.
Never mind, it wasnt that interesting.
Bagels, smoked salmon and cream cheese. Sigh

We dont have any Dr A products here but I have found a few sweet things for when I am desperate and buy a protein bar whe I travel. Like you I never go anywhere without a bar in my bag. i was actually surprised at the number and quality of locally produced low carb products, the reason for it is because there is a large amount of diabetics in Israel so there are a lot of sugar free products.

I spose I cold order online but was told it's expensive plus I dont like buying things if I dont know how they taste. Have almost convinced myself I am better off eating simple foods. Can you recommend anything though as I have someone coming from the US in January and they could bring me something. It might make a welcome change.

Thats the problem with this diet, we cant have just a teeny bit of cake/choc whatever as its sets us so far back but on the other hand it makes it harder to cheat which is good.

How many carbs do the Dr A bars have? Are they yummy?

Well, yak, yak, yak.

Bye (again )
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 15:56

BF:
Default Tell them to look for Atkins

Most Atkins bars are pretty good, my favorite is Almond Brownie... really tastes like a brownie. Another product I have found is called Carb Solutions. They are low carb bars, just like the Atkins stuff. They list about 2-3 carbs per bar and say that they dont list the additional carbs from glycerin because they don't affect your insulin levels. Anyway tell your friends to make sure that they look at the carb content on anything they buy for you because a lot of "Protein Bars" have a high protein count but also a high carb count (45-50 g). Well, I am signing off now. Feel free to email me ~ lisa.m.robertson~mail.sprint.com!!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 15:51

Plan: Looking in to Dr. Atkins
Stats: 195/195/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Welcome

I live in California, but born in Samoa (South Pacific) and raised in Hawaii. It is wonderful to know that not just Northern American people struggle with wait. Today is the start of my induction, and I hope to reporting in a week that I am still sticking to it.

Welcome.
E&J
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 16:02

BF:
Default Good Luck E&J

My parents live out in Huntington Beach!!! Anyway, it has been nice visiting with Harley who is in Israel! Good luck with your induction. I lost 10 lbs in my first 2 weeks and will check again on Monday to see how I am doing. After you get through the first couple of days, you are not hungry, so it gets pretty easy. Best of luck to you!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 16:05

BF:
Default Hi

Hi there

Well done on starting low carbing and welcome, welcome. Stick with it. I beleive that people struggle with there weight all over the world. Shame
Youve moved around quite a bit, know how you feel.
Have you started a journal?
If not you really should for several resons: by recording the food you eat (and even the times if you can be bothered) and then by recording how you felt etc it will come in very useful if you need to 'tweak' the diet to suit you. Also it is very very easy to eat too much (whethre carbs or cals) without realising. You will also get good advice from others which can be invaluable. Everyone here just wants to help, the support and kindness I have recieved has been beyond my wildest imaginings, so dont feel that you will be under the microscope (well not in a bad way anyway ggl)

Take each day as your target, not a week, 2 weeks etc. At the end of the day reflect on it and prepare yourself for tomorrow, and so on.

Read the posts on the forum, theres a lot of interesting and useful stuff there

Good luck and hope to see you around.
Harley
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 16:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi Harley!

I live in Texas, but grew up in New York ... I know the doughnuts and potato cakes. I just LOVE latkas! Too bad.

The cream cheese and smoked salmon is OK, but you have to leave the bagels .... this is going to be especially difficult for me on our trip to New York this Christmas ... I just love New York Bagels.

I hope you don't mind me keeping you in my prayers ... about the terrorist activity.

Take Care,
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 16:29

BF:

mind? why should I mind? The opposite, it's lovely of you. We are going through such a terrible time I cant begin to describe it.

Pleas tell me you arent seriously suggesting having the salmon and cream chees without the bagel? Why, thats just fish and cheese then. Dont you know that there is a special chemical reaction between the bagel and theb salmon and creamcheese that gives it thaqt special taste? (ggl)

Thank you
All the best and enjoy NY

Harley
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 16:53

Plan: Looking in to Dr. Atkins
Stats: 195/195/150
BF:
Progress:
Default New York?

I love NY. My brother in law just moved from there, and he says California is way to slow for him.

I will keep at it, and I liked the idea of making it a day to day goal.

Make sure your visit that big museum in manhatten.

e&j
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 02:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

Harley,

I know that lox, cream cheese and bagels are akin to the Jewish trinity <G> and eating one without the other would be blasphemous but, I do know that cream cheese and salmon are a great morning snack, or anytime for that matter.

Regarding the situation in your country ... I have never been to Israel, though I was planning to host a group there last June. We decided not to take the trip as the political tensions and attacks were starting. I am very concerned for your country and your people and feel connected to you all through the bonds of the holy places there. Though I have to admit, I am not knowledgeable about all of the political complexities.

If you want to write about your experience there, I would be willing to listen ... I would welcome the opportunity to hear from you first hand. What part of Israel are you in? E-mail me privately if you'd prefer. mailto:BaileyWS~collie.net