Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 10:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Young adults are succombing to diseases that were previously the afflictions of old age, as sugar consumption has increased and highly processed starchy foods have become staples of the diet .. white bread, rice krispies, instant oatmeal and sunny-type fruit drinks. Etcetera.

For the record ... children as young as 10 yrs old are now being diagnosed with atherosclerotic plaque build-up in their arteries, high cholesterol, Type 2 diabetes and Insulin Resistance. This is a testament to the increased consumption of sugar, fructose and processed starch foods in the last 30 years.

Check out this recent report in the Research/media forum .. It's What We Swig That Makes Us Big.

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 10:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Can you say fickle!
Hey, I heard a guy was killed in a car accident....man I'm not driiving again!
and hey, what about the guy who choked to death on a piece of carrot....thank god I hardly eat any carrots!
Think a little bit about statistical probability. One guy in 300 million has a mild heart attack at the same time that he's "supposedly" doing Atkins. How overweight are you? Maybe you should check on the incidence of death due to overweight. I expect it's a little greater than 1 in 300 million. Obesity is certainly a greater threat to life than Atkins!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 17:28

Stats: 234/188/180 Male 71 inches
BF:22
Progress: 85%
Smile They scared me too

The anti-low carb folks scared me too. I actually went to the hospital with chest pains. It was only heart burn. The doctor told me not to worry. My cholesterol has gone from 228 to 180. All other indicators are down. The best thing to do is to go get your cholesteral checked. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Mitch
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 17:50

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I'd check his family history. The more I read, the more signs pointing to genetic disposition I see. Diet, smoking, exercise, can help anyone have better odds, but if you're genetically predisposed to heart disease, you certainly have a larger bullseye on you than others.

I got bloodwork done before Atkins, and next month I'll get it redone. Pretty much everyone doing a diet of any kind should do those tests.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 00:07
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

My brother's friend was 20 when he had his heart attack. Needed a roto rooter job too. He's been on the all American junkfood diet all his life. When I heard about Brian, I changed my kids diet whether they liked it or not! They eat maintence level carbs. Bah Humbug on the naysayers.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 23:32
Registered Member

Plan: Low Glycemic Load
Stats: 260/228/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 32%

"He was healthy before the diet.."

Did he have a heart cath just before he started Atkins that showed no blockage? It is very likey that the blockage had been developing over the years. When did he start Atkins?

I am amazed by how few deaths and heart attacks I have heard about happening to low carbers (not that I think that it is unhealthy but years of bad eating before Atkins can catch up with a person!). Although I wouldn't disagree with watching your fat intake somewhat, I haven't seen anything that convinces me to quit Atkins (and I'm so much healthier now that I would be afraid to quit).

Last edited by Zimms : Mon, Dec-01-03 at 23:35.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 14:24

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Lowfat diets kill too. . .

Think of how many MILLIONS of heart attack victims are sent home on a LOWFAT diet. And how many MILLIONS continue to get worse anyway. Or even have ANOTHER heart attack.

Why doesn't anyone blame all THOSE recurring heart attacks on LOWFAT diets?

My father suffered a heart attack at age 58. Was never particularly fat. Doctors put him on a LOW FAT diet, which he followed religiously. Cholesterol kept going up. Had three angioplasties. Followed the LOWFAT diet religiously any way.

Three years later, had a fatal heart attack, having been on a LOWFAT diet for years.

I blame the LOWFAT diet.

Anyone who eats LOWFAT is looking for trouble.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 15:27

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Think of how many MILLIONS of heart attack victims are sent home on a LOWFAT diet. And how many MILLIONS continue to get worse anyway. Or even have ANOTHER heart attack.

Or go on to develop type 2 diabetes from their high carb/low fat diets.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 19:37

Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Unhappy Diabetes Low-Fat link

I was a lacto-vegan only allowing fish as an a occasional treat when I develop Type II with a BG of 599. I was 24% bf at the time. It wasn't a low-fat diet per se that caused my problem, but the high-carbohydrate diet I ended up eating, all the fruit, pasta, bread, I wanted.

4 years later, and normal blood sugars and I am trying to get undiagnosed since I actually passed a GTT without any meds last month (highest measurement being 139 ~ 1 hour). Trust me, it's easier to be diagnosed, and impossible to be undiagnosed because the medical community has no way to diagnose a "cure".

Later,
wsgts
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 22:50

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Use your knowledge of what Atkins and Protein Power's Drs. Eades and all the other knowledgeable low carb doctors teach. Fat,by iteself does not cause heart problems, cholesterol, strokes gout etc. These things are cused from the body being bombarded with carbs which effects insulin. If insulin is affected then everything else will follow suit. Is it possible that becuase of the diet the heart attack was not as bad as it could have been. Many young people die in their thirties of heart disease without being on a low carb diet. Some doctors prescribe a low carb diet in liu of open heart surgery so there is no way a low carb det can cause your neighbors problems.
The way I see it, the diet may have saved your neighbors life.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 15:58

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

To me, it's the opposite: the fact that people have lowered their fat intake from 45% to 32% over the past 30 years, and heart disease and diabetes have greatly increased over this same time period.
Using these statistics, the more fat I eat, the better.
It just goes to show that probably your friend laid the foundations for his problem over years, and I really don't see how Atkins could have precipitated this problem.
It's not an eat fat/have more fat in your body situation. Or I wouldn't have lost 40 pounds by vastly upping my fat intake.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 13:36

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am not from Mars or Venus. My cholesterol is way low ( total=148 ). Triglycerides are way low 59 and glucose is 98. I achieved these results on the Atkins diet. How can I been out of the ordinary? Oh I forgot, this is ordinary on this diet.

Black57
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I work on a cardiac floor in a hospital. We get people that are positive for heart attacks every day. Most of them look perfectly healthy!

Another problem is the cholesterol meds like Lipitor and the other statins. They CAUSE heart attacks by depleting the body of CoQ10.
CoQ10 and health

Last edited by Quinadal : Fri, Jan-02-04 at 14:47.