Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Mon, May-24-10, 14:28

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

I run really early in the morning (around 5:30am)..about 15 min after I wake up. Should I try and eat something before I run or just run on an empty stomach...I'm not hungry but don't know if eating a little something helps w/ your endurance etc.??
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 05:31

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Try eating before and not eating before, and see how you feel.

After that, see how you feel and make the best decision for you...
  #123   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by niudog
Try eating before and not eating before, and see how you feel.

After that, see how you feel and make the best decision for you...

Well that makes sense! Why didn't I think of that?! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I overslept for the first time in ages this morning so my run will have to wait for this evening...So far I've only ran/walked outside on pavement but because it's supposed to be pretty hot this afternoon I thought about trying out the treadmill at our gym at work. Kinda nervous tho about the change to trying to run on a treadmill.

Anyone have any experience in switching?

Last edited by gweny70 : Tue, May-25-10 at 12:03.
  #124   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 09:11

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

One thing about the treadmill is in gyms usually the air is not moving like outside so a gym air conditioned to 75 degrees can still feel pretty hot and promote dehydration. If they have fans on the treadmills, turn them on or stand under a fan if there is one on the ceiling. The main problem with tredmills is the constant unvarying pace can lead to injury, so switch up the pace, the incline, etc. to mimic the dynamic nature of outdoor running.
  #125   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
One thing about the treadmill is in gyms usually the air is not moving like outside so a gym air conditioned to 75 degrees can still feel pretty hot and promote dehydration. If they have fans on the treadmills, turn them on or stand under a fan if there is one on the ceiling. The main problem with treadmills is the constant unvarying pace can lead to injury, so switch up the pace, the incline, etc. to mimic the dynamic nature of outdoor running.

Wonderful advice! Thanks!!! I'm going to give it a try although I've always hated treadmills (5 minutes seems like 50 when I'm on a treadmill). I enjoy the sights and sounds when I'm out for my run or walk early in the am..plus they distract me from my struggle a little bit & the time seems to go by so much more quickly . Plus once I get started I realize I have no choice but to finish if I want to make it back home...well I guess I could call my hubby or a cab to come get me but even I'm not that desperate.

But maybe my hate hate relationship w/treadmills will change or at least grow to a tolerable relationship. My goodness I hated running for 33 years up until 3 weeks ago and now I'm doing the C25K program. Still don't LOVE it but it's definitely growing on me.

Last edited by gweny70 : Tue, May-25-10 at 12:15.
  #126   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 09:39

Treadmills were all filled up last night & I didn't have time to wait around so I had to wait until this morning for my run.

SO excited to say that after completing 3 rounds of C25K week 1..this morning I finally moved on to D1 of Week 2. And it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be!!! In fact I didn't have to stop once! I had to double check my iphone app to make sure I was actually on week 2. LOL. I took my time, focused on my form and going slow and before I knew it I was done. In fact I even ran an extra minute on the last run interval!! So here I was worrying about running 1.5 minutes ~ a time and on my very last run interval (when I was my most tired) I ran 2.5 minutes!!! Not intentionally tho..I missed the cue to switch to the walk mode. I am so happy I was able to complete this and excited to keep improving..and miracles of miracles I actually enjoyed the run. IMAGINE THAT. YAY!!
  #127   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-10, 23:47

Plan: If, fast 5, warrior diet
Stats: 178/174/143 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi everyone my names Jessica and I'm currently on week 5 run 2 of the c25k program! I havnt been low carving with it because I was told you need carbs for energy! Is this true .. How is everyone finding lowcarbing and running? I'm thinking of starting the dukan diet (very low carb diet) ... Any comments are much appreciated :-) :-) thank you thank you :-) oh and I'm going to enter a 12 k run in 3 months so there will be plenty of running going on between now and then!
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 12:21

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi all - I am trying to psych myself up to do the couch to 5k. I have NEVER been a runner. Always hated it even when I was an avid tennis player. I walk 4-6 miles at least a couple of times a week now but am def not a speedster. I think I might be helped in this effort by a podcast that cues me when to walk and run. Any favorites out there you would suggest downloading? thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 13:01

Hey there! This morning I did D2 of Week 3. It wasn't easy in the heat & humidity but I did it..no stopping. YAY!

I have never been a runner..ever. And actually before I even started Week 1 (which I did 3 times) I wasn't even walking much. So if you are already walking 4-6 miles a couple times week you already have a huge headstart from where I started out at.

I haven't used the podcasts but did download the Couch 2 5K iphone app and love it. It queues me when to run or walk but also allows me to play my own music while the app is running...and I NEED my music!! LOL!

Give it a try--I'm so glad I did. I am over 100+lbs overweight, out of shape, & never ran a day in my teen or adult life..So I never thought I would be able to do it let alone that I would even come to almost enjoy it....but surprise surprise!!

And just so you don't get down if you find it difficult at first..for me the first week was the hardest (well so far.lol). I thought I was going to die..and that was only 60 sec run/jog intervals..But now a few weeks later I am doing 3 min run/jog intervals with less difficulty than those initial 1 min jogs.. Yes it is a SLOW jog..but darnnit it IS a jog! It is amazing how quickly we can improve if we stick with it!!

Granted--I might have to come back and reread this post when I'm faced with Week 4, 5, and 6! AAHH!!

Jessperth: Because I'm such a beginner I really can't answer your question but so far I have been running early in the am's..no food in my system..Only some water and cup of coffee..and then I'm off. Of course I'm a beginner and not running much..So Im sure energy needed would be much different as you run much longer distances & increase your speed.

Maybe one of the running experts here can give you some more advice on that one.
  #130   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 13:09

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweny70
Hey there! This morning I did D2 of Week 3. It wasn't easy in the heat & humidity but I did it..no stopping. YAY!

I have never been a runner..ever. And actually before I even started Week 1 (which I did 3 times) I wasn't even walking much. So if you are already walking 4-6 miles a couple times week you already have a huge headstart from where I started out at.

I haven't used the podcasts but did download the Couch 2 5K iphone app and love it. It queues me when to run or walk but also allows me to play my own music while the app is running...and I NEED my music!! LOL!

Give it a try--I'm so glad I did. I am over 100+lbs overweight, out of shape, & never ran a day in my teen or adult life..So I never thought I would be able to do it let alone that I would even come to almost enjoy it....but surprise surprise!!

And just so you don't get down if you find it difficult at first..for me the first week was the hardest (well so far.lol). I thought I was going to die..and that was only 60 sec run/jog intervals..But now a few weeks later I am doing 3 min run/jog intervals with less difficulty than those initial 1 min jogs.. Yes it is a SLOW jog..but darnnit it IS a jog! It is amazing how quickly we can improve if we stick with it!!

Granted--I might have to come back and reread this post when I'm faced with Week 4, 5, and 6! AAHH!!

Jessperth: Because I'm such a beginner I really can't answer your question but so far I have been running early in the am's..no food in my system..Only some water and cup of coffee..and then I'm off. Of course I'm a beginner and not running much..So Im sure energy needed would be much different as you run much longer distances & increase your speed.

Maybe one of the running experts here can give you some more advice on that one.

AWESOME and inspiring post!!! You will be going farther than you ever thought possible soon!

I think everyone's stomach is different as far as food is concerned. I like to eat before a run and I have an iron stomach, but it's not absolutely necessary to eat beforehand.
  #131   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 18:31

BF:

I did it! D1W1 finished without stopping. Can't say I enjoyed it. Hopefully if I persevere I can experience that runner's high I keep hearing about. LOL for now all I got was runner's gasps.
  #132   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 05:17

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

WTG - keep up the good work!!!
  #133   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 06:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnseeds
I did it! D1W1 finished without stopping. Can't say I enjoyed it. Hopefully if I persevere I can experience that runner's high I keep hearing about. LOL for now all I got was runner's gasps.

YAY YAY YAY! Congrats!!!! The enjoyment part might take a little bit..but I betcha it will probably come sooner than you think. I would have been the last person ever to think that was possible but it's starting to happen with me....Once you see how quickly you improve and how great you feel afterward--physically + the feeling of accomplishment--that's where the enjoyment is coming for me. Plus I love being outside early in the morning...when it's so quiet & peaceful.. and it's just me...taking the time for me..knowing I'm doing something good for myself..it helps my mood for the rest of the day.

Can't wait to hear about W1D2!! Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!!!
  #134   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 07:15

BF:

Thanks for the encouragement. Sore today. Does anyone have any hints for doing this on the treadmill? It's calling for rain here tomorrow which would be my W1D2.
  #135   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnseeds
Thanks for the encouragement. Sore today. Does anyone have any hints for doing this on the treadmill? It's calling for rain here tomorrow which would be my W1D2.

I think when you are starting out being sore is somewhat normal. It was for me. I was pretty sore the first 1-2 week..It was the worst the 1st week..I really believe that when I take the time (no rushing) to properly stretch (both before & after & even on my rest days) that it makes a difference.

Hope you too find that the soreness lessens in time.

WIsh I could give advice on the treadmill but I haven't tried it yet. I would like to hear input on that too..when it storms or is too hot I'm going to have to give the treadmill a try as well...So hopefully you'll get some good feedback....