Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-14, 03:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/192/100 Female 58 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Post Been there, done that, doing again

This is such a long-winded story, I should provide coffee to keep you awake.

It'sages since I committed myself to a diet, even though last year and 3 years ago I went a year (twice) without sugar and bread. My all-time top weight was a few years ago, around 275. I was wheeling my elderly mother around a hospital, huffing and puffing. I realized I needed a wheelchair more than she did. Well I lost a little, my mother died, my son married, and I fell into a rut.

My daughter had a baby shower Feb of last year. Someone who hadn't seen me for years remarked that I looked like I'd lost weight. I went home and weighed, and found I was down to 240. Days later, the scale went haywire. I low carbed for a while, but I was dealing with a load of stress, and I slacked off.

So this October, I weighed again; I had gone up a little and down a little, back to 241. I didn't really feel resolved. I missed sugar in my coffee. I bought a cherry pie at the grocery on Friday night, and the next morning had a big piece for breakfast (instead of my usual avocado on wasa) AND put sugar in my coffee.

That Saturday morning, Oct 18, I piled into the car with my laptop and my dog, going to babysit my granddaughter. I never got there. A woman pulled out and knocked my car across 5 lanes of traffic. The next thing I knew, I was in the emergency room, spitting out my front teeth, with a splint on my left hand and left leg. Two emergency room visits, weeks on my daughter's couch. I was literally in too much pain to eat. Then surgery to put pins in my ankle was scheduled.

I found myself in a hospital bed explaining low carb to hospital staffer after staffer, and was met with blank looks. I was limiting myself to 30 grams of carbs/day. I explained protein, meat, cheese, fish, eggs were ok. Salad veggies ok. Sugar, fruit, starch, bread, potatoes, not. I could not eat 70% of practically every meal they sent. For e.g., for breakfast, they would send a fruit compote, oatmeal, juice, toast which I refused, but there would be eggs and bacon. They hardly ever sent meat,but never forgot dessert, sugar, fruit, starch, bread, potatoes and pasta. Tea came already sugared. I hardly ate for a week. Once, someone realized a chef salad fit the bill, and it took half a day for me to eat what little I could swallow, but it was a welcome sight.

Surgery came and went, and as I waited a few days to go home, my kids came to see me, and noticed I looked like I had lost weight.

I had told the hospital I thought I was 235 when I got there. A week later when I left, the bed said I was 224--and that's including two splints.

Two more weeks taking pain meds on my daughter's couch, and I was back at the hospital for a new cast. I saw a scale in the corner of the room. I asked the tech how much the cast weighed. --8 lbs.

So before I left, I pushed my chair to the scale, stood balanced on my good leg and saw it stop at 212.

212 minus the weight of the cast...I was down to 204. (Not even counting the weight of the cast on my hand.)

So on November 25th, I weighed 204. That was 16 days ago. I am somewhere in the 190's, maybe at the high end because I think I might be eating a little more. For a few days last week, I rolled the wheelchair into my daughter's kitchen and made a broth out of a chicken wing and a handful of frozen (italian mix) vegetables. I had the broth as one meal, and the chicken and veggies as another, and that was all I had all day.

Every day, I am taking a vitamin.

For the first few weeks, I had a bag of pistachio nuts, and limited myself to 29/day (books say that is one oz.) Last week, a friend brought over some sharp cheese, that I had an ounce or so of each day, as a snack. This week's dinners have been a slice of roast beef rolled in a lettuce leaf. Lunch has been a celery stick w/peanutbutter.

Anyway, I know this has been a long account.

I have read most of Atkins books, but I have been following the first one, except keeping loosely to induction numbers.

I probably slowed down the rate of loss a couple of days ago when I set out to cook a few kidney beans to put in a salad, and screwed up and ate a whole cup of them. In butter. Starch city.

And when I tasted an M&M's worth of the peanut butter fudge my daughter bought and left on the dining room table not 12 feet from where I sleep.

I don't expect to keep losing at this rate, approaching 50 lbs in roughly 8 weeks. The real challenge will set in when I am back in my own kitchen, and have my normal appetite back. And when plateaus start to hit, how will I handle if I'm not out of the cast, able to walk off the calories? I wish I had a scale handy too, that would be incentive.

Sorry for the typos. Left hand is out of cast but not up to typing yet.

Anyway, glad to be here. I've been reading all your stories, so I feel I know you all. Thrilled to have feedback from all
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-14, 04:47
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hello and Welcome, LolaJane! Wow you have been thru a lot recently! Glad you are on the mend and boy, you type better than I do and I can't use the excuse of a cast!

Just wanted to welcome you to the BEST LC WOE site on the planet, IMHO.

Huge Congrats on your losses so far!

You said:
Quote:
but I have been following the first one, except keeping loosely to induction numbers

Just FYI: If you're doing Atkin's 72 Induction you have things on your menu that are not on his Acceptable Food List for Induction like the nuts and peanut butter. Those are both high in carbs and are added later.

What did you mean by "keeping loosely" to induction numbers? Are you not trying to stay "biologically zero" carbs as is recommended in Dr. A's first book?

Anywho... we have lots of wonderfully supportive and knowledgeable people on this site, if you have any questions or need any help, someone will have an answer or the help you seek!

Wishing you much success on your LC WOE journey!

Jo
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-14, 06:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome
Wow, you have been through so much and very strong, even to insisting on low carb in the hospital! You are determined and surely will continue to succeed at home. There are a few buddy groups, and the amazing Jo!, Who can help you with Atkins '72 and a nice group for support. All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-14, 14:24

BF:

Jo,
I've read so many of the Atkins books, and not very recently, so they're probably a little mixed in my head. I think of induction as 28 to 30 grams of carb, I have been following it loosely.Atkins really requires more food than I'm eating. Mostly because I would be surprised if I ate more than 500 cal daily, which is not Atkins, but I know to fill up on protein and fat, which is. The nuts have been a secret weapon for me. (1 oz is 7 grams, 3 of fiber so net is 4. ) If I felt the need to get up and eat late at night, or knew of something I really shouldn't have, a pistachio nut would fuel my resolve. No one else in the house where I'm staying has a weight issue, so there are really more carbs here then anything else. I mentioned fudge. There are also tortillas, bread, potatoes, rice, pizza, delivered coffee creamer instead of real cream. Every night, they eat ice cream as if it were going out of style. I could go on. Fortunately, at this point I don't even want any of that stuff.

But sometimes I feel, if I don't get a piece of chicken I could gnaw off my own foot.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-14, 14:37

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Hello and welcome! I'm disabled and surgeries later, and such...you will just eat MORE fat and more protein when you go home. You'll come here and say'Ihave apound of this, a little of that..what can I make?' and we'll help you Stick around!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-14, 14:39

BF:

Janet,
I'm not all that strong. I really was not hungry. And it was hospital food. There was a little card to fill out but there really weren't choices. If IIscrawled along the bottom of the ticket no carb: bread starch, potato, etc., the next day they would send rice and milk. They would send fruit like pineapple in syrup, saying this is what we give the diabetics. It was crazy. So I explained and explained and explained. Ironically, when I got out, there was an Internet article about how bad the AMA diabetic diet is for diabetics. And how good low-carbing is to control sugar.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-14, 20:38

BF:

Neanderpam, I love cooking/crafting low carb food when I am at home. Looking forward to it.