Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 14:56

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
How much Phenocane are you taking?

I looked it up and it seems like Phenocane isn't a real thing, just a name for a mixture of stuff including phenylalanine and curcumin.

I might try it again, I sure would love to have something other than Aleve that works.

Yes phenocane is a combination of herbs. The Curamin is the same thing....same ingredients but different company. I take one capsule twice a day.

Weather affects my aching pretty bad. The warmer and more humid it is the more I ache. When I go to a dryer climate like colorado I feel my aches go almost away.....not quite.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 16:18

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
Yes phenocane is a combination of herbs. The Curamin is the same thing....same ingredients but different company. I take one capsule twice a day.

Weather affects my aching pretty bad. The warmer and more humid it is the more I ache. When I go to a dryer climate like colorado I feel my aches go almost away.....not quite.

What is causing the aches? I'm curious what it is you're trying to relieve........... inquiring minds want to know, without having to look at all the previous posts....
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 06:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
What is causing the aches? I'm curious what it is you're trying to relieve........... inquiring minds want to know, without having to look at all the previous posts....

I have no idea cajunboy. I just assume I have arthritis since I know that past xrays have showed it in one shoulder. But when I get really achey my hands and feet ache the worst but both shoulders and knees also ache. No back or hip ache thank goodness. Maybe I should go to the doctor and get tested but I really don't like going to doctors. They always want to give me a drug for one thing or another.
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 07:58

Quote:
I have no idea cajunboy. I just assume I have arthritis since I know that past xrays have showed it in one shoulder. But when I get really achey my hands and feet ache the worst but both shoulders and knees also ache. No back or hip ache thank goodness. Maybe I should go to the doctor and get tested but I really don't like going to doctors. They always want to give me a drug for one thing or another.

Please be patient with my questions...

I am curious if what you feel in the hands and feet are different from the shoulders and knees.

Can you describe the pain in more detail?

Examples: dull, sharp, throbbing, stabbing, numbness, tingling, more at certain times, or after certain activity, etc......
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 11:51

BF:

Quote:
Please be patient with my questions...

I am curious if what you feel in the hands and feet are different from the shoulders and knees.

Can you describe the pain in more detail?

Examples: dull, sharp, throbbing, stabbing, numbness, tingling, more at certain times, or after certain activity, etc......

the hands and feet feel the same.............a burning, aching and sometimes stiffness upon awakening in mornings. The shoulders burn and ache too and so do the knees. The knees usually ache when I am doing some kind of activity but just sitting or being idle they do not.

Right now at this very minute my hands are stiff and achey. My feet also have a burning aching feeling while I am exercising if it is high impact. Burns all the way up to my ankles. OH...........there is also sometimes numbness in my fingers and toes and my elbows. I notice that when I stay off the computer for long periods of time my right hand and wrist are fine.
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 14:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The burning sounds to me like peripheral neuropathy rather than arthritis.
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 14:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The burning sounds to me like peripheral neuropathy rather than arthritis.

so what does that mean?
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 15:17

It sounds like you have diabetic neuropathy in your hands and feet. Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is good for that. Google it, but I think I took 400mg twice daily till it corrected itself. Also, controlling my blood sugar and getting it below 6.0 helped, but the ALA is known for improving problems caused by diabetic neuropathy.

Your shoulder may be arthritic, but also might be a "frozen shoulder" which is another diabetic symptom. If it is, it will correct itself in 6-18 months. I've heard different accounts. My left shoulder corrected itself in about 14 months and now, I've been fighting with my right shoulder since July.

The knee is probably arthritic, but if your neuropathy in your feet is bad enough the burning might be registering high enough up the legs to make you feel it up to your knees. I had knee problems, mostly in my right knee, but both knees were painful. Living in China and forced to walk up many flights of stairs everyday strenghtened my legs and my knee problems stopped, probably because my legs support my knees better, but I'm not sure....

Whatever is the source, good luck getting it under control. An old man once told me; "When your feet and/or your back hurt, you can't think about anything else".... Later in life, as I began aging, I learned how true that was....

Ron
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 16:16

BF:

Can I still have this even though I'm not diabetic? Why does it only ache in the hot humid weather?

I know that I have tendinitis in my right shoulder .....caused from repetitive work in yoga (updog downdog) because an MRI showed this a few years ago. It goes away when I quit exercising and comes back when I start again. I can do pushups but I have to be careful as to how I am positioned with my arms.
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 16:27

Quote:
Can I still have this even though I'm not diabetic? Why does it only ache in the hot humid weather?

I see you don't have a journal and it would take too long to research all of your posts, but didn't you say you thought you had pre-diabetes in a prior post? Perhaps my memory is wrong....

If you were pre-diabetic, that is a diabetic condition and I suppose neuropathy from diabetes is possible, but I really don't know.

As for aches only in hot humid weather, I'm not sure what to think. I know a humid climate is tough on arthritis.

Ron
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 16:28
Registered Member

Plan: modified paleolithic
Stats: 165/165/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:

I know that I have tendinitis in my right shoulder .....caused from repetitive work in yoga (updog downdog) because an MRI showed this a few years ago. It goes away when I quit exercising and comes back when I start again. I can do pushups but I have to be careful as to how I am positioned with my arms.

Been there done that. Stop eating glutenous grains.

I'm an aging runner. I was pushing it trying to maintain 1 1/4 mile three times a week. The fatigue, pain and muscle cramps were about to ground me. I went gluten free, and within two weeks I doubled my distance with lots of stamina left at the end.

Now? No more cramping fatigue or pain.

Keep eating low-carb, and drop the gluten. It works.

#87   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 16:48

BF:

Yes i know that gluten is bad. I dont' make a habit of eating it. But I do eat it once or twice a week. Small amounts.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 17:10
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Yes i know that gluten is bad. I dont' make a habit of eating it. But I do eat it once or twice a week. Small amounts.

The "bad" in gluten does not come from a metabolic effect. It comes from a series of immune reactions. If your pain and deterioration come from gluten it's because gluten makes your intestinal lining into a sieve. Gluten ushers antigens into the bloodstream. They 1) attack your tissue, or 2) cause your immune system to attack your tissue.

The immune reactions are not triggered so much by the amount of gluten you eat. They are triggered by the presence of gluten ........any gluten. Dropping all but a little gluten does little good.

If you react with digestive antibodies, they take about two weeks to totally clear the body. If you react with blood antibodies, they take about 6 months to clear the body. The sieve effect should start to close within a few days.

Try it.

#89   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 17:41

Don't most vitamins contain gluten? Is there is list of gluten free foods?
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 18:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Don't most vitamins contain gluten?

Lots of vitamins contain gluten. Lots don't. You have to read labels .......every time. Products change.

Quote:
Is there is list of gluten free foods?

No. You have to eat plain meats and veggies. Don't eat processed food, like cereals. Even Rice crispies and corn flakes have gluten. When you eat out, you have to be on your toes. No chicken fried steak or southern fried chicken, and no gravy. Some restaurants even put a flour "grill baste" under their meats .......Ask.