Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 08:29

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Just to follow up, I have decided to try going back to a less formal approach. I lost most of my weight just avoiding flour and sugar. I only adopted a stricter regime to get those 10 -15 lbs off. To better understand the process, I started testing with keto sticks, checking blood glucose, and added testing blood ketones while recording the macros for everything I ate. That provided good information, and did help me understand how different foods affected me, but was not intended as a long term way of life. Anyway, I have stopped checking if I am in ketosis, and stopped checking blood glucose. The only measurement I am taking is weight and recording that once a week. This doesn't change how I eat, for example, while I didn't log what I ate yesterday, I know from experience I was at less than 10g carbs. The other hold over from my experimenting is IF. I have been intermittent fasting most days for about 7 weeks, usually with a 16/8 fasting/eating. This has really helped me stop snacking after dinner, so I will continue, between a 14/10 and 18/6 for most days. Of course, this is always subject to change.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 14:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

After three weeks on induction to lose the 5 pd gain and only losing one pd. I am toying with the idea of carb cycling. I have started a one day per week fast to lose the next four pounds but I am thinking ahead to easier way to maintain that loss. Snacking on carb legal food in the evening is what gave me the gain. Two much cheese and sf jello with cream as well as a few spoonfuls of peanut butter a day. I am thinking along the lines of allowing those things on weekends and eating clean during the week. I am still not sure on how to happily maintain so just throwing those things out there. When maintaining I am good on cals. and carbs all day then blow it by about 200 cals after bedtime. That's my hubbys snack time and its carried over to me since I started low carb. It wasn,t a issue to ignore his evening snack prior to doing this diet.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 21:38

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I think overeating on-Plan foods was my problem as well. I have a large salad everyday for lunch and was putting way too much cheese and nuts on it. Then I was snacking before dinner on things like pork rinds or creamed coconut and also having second helpings for dinner and often a homemade coconut cocoa ice pop in the evening.

Being back on induction I am reminded how hard it is to stay under 20 carbs! Just adding up my allotted tbls. of cream, 3 oz. cheese, salad greens, .6 for each egg, my one cup of cooked broccoli and the like for dinner, I am often slightly over for the day and feel like I have barely eaten anything. I'm also trying to stay below 1500 cal.
Despite that, I seem to be controlling hunger more easily, with no more snacks. I was obviously eating way too many carbs before, and driving my appetite high. It's amazing how little food I really need to feel good.
I have lost 4 lbs. in 2 weeks. I'm going to continue with induction till I get down to 120 and then add in one food - cocoa in my coffee - and see if I can control things a little better.
Madeyna, I think you know your answer as well - too much snacking. If you have been sucessful in breaking the habit these past two weeks, why blow it by adding them back, even if only on the weekends?
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-17, 12:56

BF:

I want to add them back so I don,t continue to lose after I get back to 130. I think its the balance I am having trouble with.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-17, 18:19

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard
Madeyna, I think you know your answer as well - too much snacking. If you have been sucessful in breaking the habit these past two weeks, why blow it by adding them back, even if only on the weekends?

Snacking was my biggest problem. For the past month I have been intermittent fasting for about 16 hours 6pm to 10am and eating for 8 hours 10am to 6pm, although for the past week I have shifted to eating just 2 meals per day, at 11:00am and 5:30pm. I can't say if it is the effects of fasting, or psychological, but I have been able to avoid snacking in the evening, and have no need to snack between the 2 meals. So far, it is working for me.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-17, 19:19

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyna
I want to add them back so I don,t continue to lose after I get back to 130. I think its the balance I am having trouble with.

Ah, I see. I'm planning to just add extras to my meals - higher carb veggies like onions and tomatoes, some nuts and increased cheese, and slightly more calories. I'll watch my weight carefully and immediately cut back if I go over that 3 lb. buffer I set for myself.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-17, 16:17

BF:

I still journal and can clearly see where I have gone wrong before. I cann,t just jump off plan without it quickly escalating to months gone by and pounds regained . The three legs of dieting for me are journaling watching cal carb intake and exercise. To be successful long term I need to maintain at least one of these legs at all times. That way I am never totally giving up control