Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Why did you choose low-carb?
To lose weight 466 58.69%
To improve my general health 81 10.20%
to avoid things like diabetes 34 4.28%
to help my diabetes 24 3.02%
all of the above 189 23.80%
Voters: 794. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:
Question Why did you choose low-carb?

Inquiring minds wanna know And I am just wondering how many other diabetics there are here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Well, i voted, but i'll explain also. I'm going to embark on a low carb diet to;
  • Drop a few pounds
  • Find a way to controll my carb cravings
  • Help maintain my weight for the rest of my life
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 17:08
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Sounds like good reasons to me -- and I agree with them too!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 19:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi there, don't really know you....or remember you...LOL

Why did choose this wol? Oh my....well I wasn't even looking for this type of thing at the time. I got into a sewing forum which is similar to this forum. I got thinking....gee the support for sewing online and learning is terrific, wonder if there is somewhere for folks to go when feeling down about their weight? I have dieted many of times and was fed up with it, and knew dieting was not for me anymore....no way was I going on a diet.....for no one..not even for me.....and I'm 43 yrs old....not happy with myself..but ain't dieting ever again!!!!

Someone led me to this site....or there abouts....but I found this. I began reading...as I never knew about carbs.....shoot..all I knew about was low fat....low fat this...low fat that...Dr. Bernstein..taking shots..not sure about the Americans talking about a Dr. Bernstein...but the guy I knew was into shots....and a diet...that killed!!!

I spent two days reading the posts here..and the information and thought my.....this isn't a diet...this is just cutting out the bad stuff....yet I feared as I also read about kidney problems and saw folks posting about gall bladder problems etc......I expressed my concern on these matters and got answers that satisfied me.....

I'm low carbing...cause I can....I don't suffer like I have when on diets....with low carbing I don't feel like I am on a diet..and thats a big plus for me......If I want something real bad....I feel I can have it.....not like I am going to put on the twenty three pounds that I lost...heck no....I eat it...then say...ok Wendy.....now thats it...you got what you wanted....now continue eating the way you should....healthy eating all...thats all it is....

I like feeling the way I feel......happy....energetic....a bit thinner..and sometimes on some days man I feel real thin....sort of like a hair day..some days..oh pooh...I suck....other days..wow I'm beautiful....look out world here I come...hehehehe...all in the attitude I do believe....now don't talk to me when I am pmsing....lol...thats another story....hehehehe...working on it though....

Love you guys
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 19:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Wendy!

Yeah, I'm pretty new here, just found this cool place this week. My mom gave me the book Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution so that's how I came to be a low-carber. I have more about myself in the introduction section and in my profile. Thanks for writing so much about yourself and voting in my poll too!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 19:53

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%

did the low fat thing for over 10 years..worked for a while then BLAMMO!!!!!!!!!.....i started gaining weight...i didn't know what the heck was going on......then the "revolution" that i learned through the news and studies is that carbs if not burned can turn into FAT...hmmmmmm...so with that, HERE I AM!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 21:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Not diabetic here (yet), but strong family legacy of ALL the Syndrome X problems. So yes, I want to lose weight, but I also do want to prevent the tragedies that have happened in my family from happening to me... type2 diabetes, heart disease and atherosclerosis, obesity, strokes ....

The original Atkins was the first diet I ever went on, back in the 70s. I was 16 at the time, lost 25 or 30 lbs over the summer. I cut my hair too, and when I went back in the fall, nobody recognised me. It was great (class Nerd here .). I maintained for a few years by continuing to lowcarb, until college and nursing school, where the fear of FAT was drilled into my brain.

Oh ya, I did Scarsdale, and Wt. Watchers, Diet Center, Wt.Loss Clinic, tried McDougall (mega lowFAT) and even went vegan for almost a year. I have other chronic health problems too, and medication.... in recent years, I was told about Protein Power by my acupuncturist, herself a vegetarian, but she recognises and respects that we're not all the same, and some people NEED to eat meat. I've been lowcarbing faithfully for over a year; the weight loss is slow, not steady, but it is loss nonetheless, after a decade of GAINING on lowfat, high-grain diets. (I wasn't even a big candy and junk eater). And my cholesterol and triglycerides have improved, and blood pressure is down.

Just ask me if I plan to go back to the old lowfat, highCARB way of eating. No way!

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 22:42

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Hi, Deb!

I voted 'to avoid diabetes,' but there's a bit more to it than that!

Originally I started this diet to lose weight; a few years ago middle age spread hit with a vengeance!

But the more I read and learned, the more I realized that this way of eating is the only way I can avoid the family legacy of obesity, diabetes, and heart problems that I'm in line for (I'm with you, Doreen!). My grandfather died of diabetes (30 years ago, when treatment was far worse than it is now); my mother has diabetes, my sister's pre-diabetic, my father died of complications from atherosclerosis, my younger (!) brother has high cholesterol .... yikes! So yes, I wanna be skinny and gorgeous, but more importantly, I wanna be healthy.

If eating yummy food, losing weight, and looking and feeling better is what it takes to be healthy .... well .... sometimes we just gotta pay the price, ya know? Gosh darn it all anyway!

Rachel
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 13:02

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Default HI

Don't have diabetes..but figured that was where I was headed!! My health and not being able to really enjoy playing with my kids was a big issue!! And theweight was the reason for both! I've also tried every thing esle...this is the only thing that REALLY WORKS!!
Lorraine
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 17:22

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 215/195/195
BF:
Progress:

I have been an avid weight lifter, snowboarder, rollerblader, etc, etc for years. I seemed to maintain a high level of bodyfat no matter how hard I would train. I heard the science behind low carbs and decided to give it a try. After 6 weeks on an induction level diet, I had lost 20lbs with a bullet. I kept my muscle because I actually got stronger in the gym.

I like the level of bodyfat I have now, so my new diet is this. Under 30 grams of carbs Monday - Thursday. Friday - Sunday I eat as many carbs as I like. I gain about 3 lbs over the weekend and they are gone by Wednesday. I don't have to turn down social drinking or pizza on this diet. I don't go crazy with it, but I can enjoy the naughty foods and still keep the weight off. Sorry to go on and on, but wanted to mention my zig zag diet here.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 17:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%

Quote:
Originally posted by grondike
Sorry to go on and on, but wanted to mention my zig zag diet here.

Actually, this zig-zag now has a name, the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD). It's very useful for active (or those willing to get active) in weight lifting/bodybuilding. Some of our mebers have acheived great results (Fern comes to mind) and we have just started a seperate forum for it.

Wa'il
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 18:20

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Wa'il-
Without reading your post I was going to respond to groundike and say, hey, that's the CKD!!! Then I saw your post.... you're too quick!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 18:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%

Quote:
Originally posted by fern2340
Wa'il-
Without reading your post I was going to respond to groundike and say, hey, that's the CKD!!! Then I saw your post.... you're too quick!

Awwh, I'll take that as a compliment

Wa'il
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 19:24

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 215/195/195
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Gang! Excuse the rookie mistake. CKD is a great name for it and I will cruise that forum too now. ;0)
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-01, 11:17

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Re: Hi, Deb!

Deb, Yup, I'm a diabetic. I found Dr B's Diabetes Solution on the web, went out 3 days later to buy my own copy along with Dr A's New Diet Revolution. Dr A explains the low carb WOE much better IMHO, but Diabetes Solution is invaluable in understanding diabetes & related health issues. Diabetes abounds on the paternal side of my family.

In Dec 2000 I faced head-on the fact that I'm morbidly obese, diabetic, have shortened life expectancy, multiple health problems, etc. This was hugely difficult. (Pun intended, bad I know). Some tough soul searching: Do I carry on as I am, getting bigger than the proverbial barn and forget about buying RRSP's because I won't live long enough to need them? Or find a way to lose weight, get healthy & enjoy my life? I've dieted B4 (haven't we all) and the old WW model/exchange diets didn't work too well in the short term. Long term, regain of lost weight, plus more was depressing.

Why even bother? Being hungry ALL the time just isn't an option for me... the sense of deprivation & urge to eat & binge is too strong. I began to seriously investigate various weight loss surgery options and started a dialog with my GP about WLS, which she doesn't recommend. For 2 months I believed that WLS was my only hope to achieve a healthy weight.

In the course of my investigations, I stumbled upon Dr B's site & here I am, a big loser of 31 lbs! Thank God I found Dr Bernstein's book. (I mean that sincerely). WLS is so drastic and I'm glad I found an alternative that works for me.
My blood glucose levels are the same now as before LC, when I took 5mg glyburide daily. No more glyburide for me!

Ruth, a happy low carber