Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Mon, Nov-20-17, 07:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / South Beach
Stats: 265/246/185 Male 71 inhes
BF:
Progress: 24%

People frequently underestimate you often assuming because you are overweight you are also sedentary. Their surprise (shock) at your physical ability gets old in a hurry.

I was in a bike shop last summer and had one of the new employees try to steer me away from road bikes toward an upright "fitness" cruiser with a big, cushy seat and a riding position like a bar stool. He became very skeptical when I told him that I have been cycling for years and ride many 100+ mile events and belong to two cycling clubs, one of which is operated by the shop we were in.

I had another individual outright call me a liar when I was talking about having put over 3,000 miles on my road bike in a year. "If you ride so much how come you're still fat?" Hmmm . . . could it be that I eat too much?
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Mon, Nov-20-17, 11:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBGone17
People frequently underestimate you often assuming because you are overweight you are also sedentary. Their surprise (shock) at your physical ability gets old in a hurry.

I was in a bike shop last summer and had one of the new employees try to steer me away from road bikes toward an upright "fitness" cruiser with a big, cushy seat and a riding position like a bar stool. He became very skeptical when I told him that I have been cycling for years and ride many 100+ mile events and belong to two cycling clubs, one of which is operated by the shop we were in.

I had another individual outright call me a liar when I was talking about having put over 3,000 miles on my road bike in a year. "If you ride so much how come you're still fat?" Hmmm . . . could it be that I eat too much?

It's not how much you eat, it's what you eat...
  #183   ^
Old Mon, Nov-20-17, 21:56

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBGone17

OH GOSH! THIS!!! ALL DAY, THIS!!

I was on a thread once (not here) and I had mentioned my height/weight and that I have done 3 triathlons...I GOT BASICALLY BULLIED OFF THE SITE FOR BEING A "TROLL"!!!!!!!

I post videos REGULARLY on my FB page of Fat people doing ALL SORTS of amazing things...Ballet, Marathons, Surfing...everything you can think of and my caption is always "never underestimate the Fat Kid".
  #184   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-17, 23:22
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchile

I post videos REGULARLY on my FB page of Fat people doing ALL SORTS of amazing things...Ballet, Marathons, Surfing...everything you can think of and my caption is always "never underestimate the Fat Kid".

That's awesome!

A guy told a weird joke "fat people don't have to wear shirts to restaurants because they always have one on." I told him he was a fat-ist. He said you're just saying that because your fat. Then my 2 friends jumped in and said why can't you like fat people? The other said why don't have any manners?

Fat is the last bigotry that's socially acceptable.
  #185   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 20:53

Plan: Stay under 100grams/day
Stats: 360/275/170 Female 64 (inches)
BF:
Progress: 45%

Buying groceries and facing the critiques of the cashier on what I've chosen. This happens in at least two of the stores near my home.

For example, on one trip to the store, there was a very athletic young lady in workout clothes in front of me, and she had high-carb snacks, pasta, etc, all the things that I used to eat, and the cashier said nothing to her. Just rang up her items, handed her the receipt and wished her a nice day. A perfectly normal transaction.

Then she began my order. My order contained mostly low-carb items, but I have a husband who is underweight due to health concerns and still eats carb-heavy foods. After she scanned each item, she'd study the item, check it's nutritional facts, and then declare either "This is a good item. It's healthy" or "Hmm..." followed by a sigh and her shaking her head to let me now that it wasn't healthy in her eyes.

I once had a waiter take my family's breakfast orders at a little diner nearby, and he didn't say a thing to my son and husband about their orders, but when I ordered a meal from the healthy portions section of the menu, he literally bent over to my eye level and put his hand on my shoulder and said, "There you go. Now that's a VERY healthy food choice you made. I'm proud of you." as if he were talking to a little child. I slowly turned and looked over at my husband, speechless.

I just can't stand the judgement from others who have no right to judge.
  #186   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-18, 21:40
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy914
Buying groceries and facing the critiques of the cashier on what I've chosen. This happens in at least two of the stores near my home.

For example, on one trip to the store, there was a very athletic young lady in workout clothes in front of me, and she had high-carb snacks, pasta, etc, all the things that I used to eat, and the cashier said nothing to her. Just rang up her items, handed her the receipt and wished her a nice day. A perfectly normal transaction.

Then she began my order. My order contained mostly low-carb items, but I have a husband who is underweight due to health concerns and still eats carb-heavy foods. After she scanned each item, she'd study the item, check it's nutritional facts, and then declare either "This is a good item. It's healthy" or "Hmm..." followed by a sigh and her shaking her head to let me now that it wasn't healthy in her eyes.

I once had a waiter take my family's breakfast orders at a little diner nearby, and he didn't say a thing to my son and husband about their orders, but when I ordered a meal from the healthy portions section of the menu, he literally bent over to my eye level and put his hand on my shoulder and said, "There you go. Now that's a VERY healthy food choice you made. I'm proud of you." as if he were talking to a little child. I slowly turned and looked over at my husband, speechless.

I just can't stand the judgement from others who have no right to judge.

One time I was at a breakfast restaurant with some friends and I asked what Hollandaise sauce was (because I had never had it before) and the waitress, an old grandma type, told me it was very fattening and I did not want it.
  #187   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-21, 18:04
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 200/186/135 Female 61in
BF:
Progress: 22%

I know this is a very old thread, but I understand everything that was written here.

Here's my list:
1. When my pants make noise because my thighs rub together
2. People who talk to me about other fat people they know. I am thinking "Well, that includes me"
3. I hate taking pictures. When I see them, I am always mortified!
4. Shopping
5. Having someone look at me with judgment because I am eating something they think I shouldn't eat
6. Having people assume that every health problem I have is because I am fat
7. Having people watch shows like The Biggest Loser and thinking that I should exercise like those people do even though I already have knee pain