Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 18:21

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 190/165/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default Progress not perfection

I have done really well since starting Adkins diet in June 2013. I am proud of myself for exercising and keeping in Ketosis. Although I do not always eat as much as some would suggest. Today, I bought a fruit pie from the bakery and was planning to either bring it to a pot luck or give it to my mom. Then the thought occurred to me that I could eat one slice of pie to taste it. So, I cut a piece of pie and ate it. I felt guilty. But then, I ate another and another until half of the pie was gone. Now, I feel extremely guilty. I do not like to condemn myself for what I've done in sabotaging myself but I feel like a failure. How do you guys handle it when you have setbacks?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 19:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello and welcome. Congrats on your success so far!

For me, it's a matter of getting mad at myself, and harnessing the anger. Make a change. Learn your lesson and do something differently next time. Move on. It makes successes feel a little sweeter.

You might want to revisit whether or not it's a good idea for you to buy things like that and bring them home. There's no way in heck I would do that. I've learned that lesson the hard way too many times. I'm not going to torment myself and play games with myself. Now, if was on my way to that potluck, or to visit Mom, sure, I'd pick something up on the way... but never bring it home. Just an idea for next time. Something I find critical to success, be it low-carb or anything else, is to control your environment. If you plant mines in it, you can expect disaster.

Best of luck.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 20:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you don't learn something from the experience then it is likely you'll repeat it.

Start at the very beginning and ask yourself. "Why did I buy that pie?"
This time answer it honestly.

There are lots of things you could bring to a potluck or your mother, all of them perfectly legal on your diet.

You wanted that pie. You bought that pie for yourself.

Next time, don't buy the pie.

(P.S. I can't 100% know your motivations, maybe you don't even know your own motivations, but I'm guessing that pie wasn't at some level truly destined for either of those nebulous destinations you mentioned.)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 22:32

Plan: iDukan, Consolidation
Stats: 174/147/147 Female 5'7"
BF: Goal: < 30%
Progress: 100%

If you're asked to bring a carb dish, bring something you don't like. For me, that would be anything with coconut flakes, I won't touch it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 06:33

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 190/165/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks for your support

I appreciate your support and suggestions. From now on, I have a new rule: Do not bring sweets or forbidden carbs into my house. I don't know why I didn't have that rule before!! I am beginning a new day, carb free. Thanks.