Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-11, 21:10
Registered Member

Plan: Newbie to Paleo!
Stats: 184/184/132 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Care to help a newbie?

I am seriously trying to consider going paleo, thanks to a certain woman's weekly magazine explaining it in part. I need a few links or something in order to figure out what I should do.

Also, I know to cut out processed and fake foods, but what about truvia? Its supposedly natural, also what about protein powder? Any food lists that you all know of?

Please, I'm like a sponge...............
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 09:45

Plan: Was Paleo...now Zero Carb
Stats: 270/213/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 57%

When people ask me the same question, I usually send them to the PaNu website... Of course, he recently renamed his site to "Archevore" but it's the same information and idea - cut out grains, sugar and processed foods, eat more "real" food.

http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Anne
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm mostly paleo. I cut out grains, dairy and most other neolithic foods, but I still use truvia and splenda from time to time. How strict you want to be is up to you. Every now and then I test going 100% paleo and see if it makes a big difference than from being most-paleo and I can't really detect any difference.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 01:50

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2live
I am seriously trying to consider going paleo, thanks to a certain woman's weekly magazine explaining it in part. I need a few links or something in order to figure out what I should do.

Also, I know to cut out processed and fake foods, but what about truvia? Its supposedly natural, also what about protein powder? Any food lists that you all know of?

Please, I'm like a sponge...............

It's like Atkins (which I see you are on) but without the dairy. Try cutting out the dairy and see how you go.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 10:38
Registered Member

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 163/145/000 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm not doing the traditional Paleo thing, mostly because I discovered Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint first and got interested in the whole lifestyle because of his exercise recommendations. His website, Mark's Daily Apple has a TON of free information.

He does have a free link to a shopping list , and you can also get his Primal Fitness Blueprint for free, although you do have to sign up with the site to get it. His book is less than $10 for a Kindle, but he sells an actual book for about $27. Amazon sells it for about $16 plus shipping.

I respect Mark Sisson's knowledge, and he gives away a lot of it. I'm very grateful for that, and I think he is truly interested in helping others to live healthier lives. But I will say that he promotes his company's nutritional supplements on the site. He also sells 30 days of one-on-one support for $200. I hate it that he's a bit of a schill, but he does just give away the information you'll need to get started. His Primal Blueprint 101 has a lot of valuable information.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 08:44

Plan: Mixture .. mainly Paleo
Stats: 168/163/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hello Ready to Live Try The Paleolithic diet nutrition page http://www.paleodiet.com/

There are lots of articles on this page. You might find Introduction to the Paleo diet by Ben Blazer interesting. He is a family physician and writes a very simple and straightforward article.

I accidentally fell into eating what I call Nature's Diet. I had very bad heartburn and each time I ate bread I was sick. I decided to give it up and my heartburn disappeared almost immediately. I also noticed that I was losing weight and was delighted with that. I ate meat, fish, cheese, eggs, salads, veggies and fruit, mainly berries. I also had the very occasional cream cake which didn't seem to make any difference to my progress. I also ate a tiny bit of potato each day. Paleo is against potatoes. So, I don't exactly fit into Paleo, but it is similar. I have never tried Atkins because it seemed too strict for me, but I really appreciate that it has helped thousands of people to lose weight. I lost a lot of weight, but unfortunately, I tried to fit in with others and also wanted to prove that I could eat anything I wanted in small amounts, but all it did was put me back to square one ... fat. I know lots of people who eat whatever they want and are slim, but lots of us cannot do this. Anyway, I am back to regaining my health and slimmer body. Good luck with the Paleo.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 09:03
4 phases Use them

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 70 Inches
BF:ack/ack/ack
Progress: 0%

Atkins at later levels is very very close to Sisson's primal blueprint.

Mark is what I call Dairy Agnostic. So I am more Paleo with a few slashes of heavy whipping cream.