Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 19:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think it's probably more accurate to state that I "went-off-my-dieted" my way up until I became diabetic. After that point, it seemed that no matter what I did, the weight continued to climb until I discovered low carbing. That's not quite true...I lost weight both times I was pregnant because I was terrified of having to go on insulin and everything tasted wrong when I was pregnant. I was a chubby child from the age of 3 but never dieted (as in deliberately tried to lose weight) until I was 14 at which point (looking back) I already had PCOS and likely insulin resistance. After that, I did WW twice without losing much and did low fat for a while in nursing school. The rest of the time, I ate what I wanted (which was usually all the wrong things for my body and my condition) until I hit 30 and became diabetic...then it was the ADA diet until low carb.
I also do not blame dieting for my weight gain. Eating all the wrong things..absolutely. Not understanding what refined carbs were doing to my body...definitely. Having no clue about carb addiction...bingo!
Bad choices, even made in ignorance, are still bad choices with the resulting negative consequences.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 03:55
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7"
BF:

This has been a very interesting discussion to follow, and I can see both sides of the argument. But I think that Lisa, Nikkil and Potatofree have touched on a very important issue - if you allow yourself to feel like a victim and don't take responsibility for your past, present and future, you're probably standing in the way of your own success.
  #123   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:07

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

From this mornings Atkins Newletter:

Quote:

We are pleased that Atkins now has a “seat at the table” as we collectively struggle with how government policy should influence the way in which people eat for both weight management and long-term health. In this spirit of shared concern, we welcome any comments you may have on this crucial subject.

Remember a few posts up where I said I wanted the Atkins folks representing me, not NAAFA? Did someone listen??? Nah...just luck!
  #124   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:43

BF:

From the NAAFA site:

Quote:

HISTORY/EXISTING CONDITION:

Historically, obesity researchers have sought an answer to the question, "How can we make fat people thin?" and have spent a half-century and billions of dollars in an unsuccessful attempt to find permanent behavioral, dietary, pharmaceutical, and surgical treatments for fatness. The underlying assumptions in such a pursuit are that thinness is more desirable than fatness, that fatness increases health risks, that permanent weight loss is possible, and that weight loss mitigates morbidity factors and increases longevity. These assumptions run contrary to the experience of most fat people, which is that permanent weight loss is impossible to achieve, that dieting makes them fatter, that many of them are healthy, and that valuing thinness over fatness is a cultural bias.

This is the proof for me that the original statement that NAAFA is "obseity-enabling" is correct. Permanent weight loss is NOT impossible to achieve if you "permanently" change your WOE/WOL. Notice, too, that the statement that says "many" are healty...not "all". The fairly young might be healty right this minute, but they certainly aren't going to stay that way!

To even imply that "diets" are the reason so many people are obese is sad. What about individual responsibility for eating too much of the wrong food? NAAFA would better serve their members by giving them the resources to help them out of the "morbidly obese" category rather than implying it's everyone else's fault. Yes...no one should be discriminated against for any reason. But no, in the real world you aren't going to find a lot of support from the "average joe" who knows there has to be some personal accountability on this issue. If NAAFA really wanted to change attitudes, they wouldn't take such a militant stand by saying obese people can't lose weight. The very people they are trying to win over to support their agenda won't buy it.
  #125   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:34

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I realize its useless to point out ---
-
But a lot of the posts here seem to be focused on the being Outraged by the idea that anyone, much less a whole group of people, would have the audacity to think they deserve to be HAPPY with themselves, no matter WHAT SIZE they are.
-
How DARE they not go on a diet, after all we've made all these sacrifices to lose weight, why should THEY still be allowed to stay fat, much less think they have the Right to be content to be that way?
-
There is an interesting parallel here -- Often, a chainsmoker who stops smoking and suddenly starts attacking any poor soul who still smokes -- don't they know that they are now suddenly offensive in the eyes of their former smoking buddy?
-
NAAFA is one organization, if you don't agree with them, you are not obliged to associate with them.
-
They, in turn, are NOT obliged to change just because you do not approve of their philosophy.
-
ONE organization is not representative of an entire population -- just as ONE low carb diet is representative of all Low Carbers.
-
PREJUDICE is what NAAFA is trying to stop. TOO BAD that prejudice seems to be being rife among those who should be the most understanding of the need for acceptance they try to promote.
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:38
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hear hear!!!
  #127   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:58
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I honestly don't think anyone is saying people of any size don't have a right to feel good about themselves...that's kind of kitchen-sinking and not the point of the discussion at all, IMHO.
  #128   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:59
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sunslyte, I am only going to say this once more, so I implore you to listen to me this time. I (and I am sure this goes for everyone else in the thread) don't like being accused of believing things I repeatedly have said I do not believe.

Everything in your post that NAAFA works for, I agree with. I agree fat people should feel comfortable with themselves. I agree fat people should not be encouraged to diet just because they are fat.

My problem with NAAFA is that it discourages members from dieting, even members who have [b]health or quality of life issues caused by obesity[b/]. Telling a 400 pound man whos knees are swollen, is immobile, can barely walk down a hall without putting strain on his body, and has diabetes that his weight has NOTHING to do with his ailments, and that he SHOULDN'T diet, is downright disgusting IMO.

It is because NAAFA encourages people to live in la-la land and stay obese in instances where health is comprimised that I take offence with the organization.

I don't think moderately overweight people who are otherwise healthy should feel like they need to diet. I do, however, believe people with weight-related diseases should not be fed irresponsible lies and encouraged to retain the weight, and lifestyle, that lead to his diseases. No one is telling NAAFA to tell even the most unhealthy obese person that he should considering dieting. All I am asking is that they be reasonable, and take a neutral stance towards making the decision to lose weight.

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 22:02.
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 07:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunslyte
But a lot of the posts here seem to be focused on the being Outraged by the idea that anyone, much less a whole group of people, would have the audacity to think they deserve to be HAPPY with themselves, no matter WHAT SIZE they are.

Whoever said that, Sunslyte? Can you cut and paste anyone having said that people don't "deserve" to think or feel happy when fat? I have not seen that sentiment in this thread. The main argument is that the organization has a flawed philosophy. I think anyone who wishes to remain fat and is happy being so should do it. It's not wrong to question whether that's a sincere position, either. I have mostly been fat and mostly been happy in my life. However, I always knew that I wasn't healthy, and I always knew thought about being thin. I'd wager that's a breathtakingly common mindset, even among people who say it isn't so.

The fallacy is easy to spot -- if you're happy being fat, why do you think about it enough to join a victims group?

Quote:
How DARE they not go on a diet, after all we've made all these sacrifices to lose weight, why should THEY still be allowed to stay fat, much less think they have the Right to be content to be that way?

Again: cut & paste a post that bears that sentiment. Nobody's wanting to force diet on someone else. It's quite different, though, to criticize an enabling group for a flawed position. NAAFA can have its position, and no one is questioning that. We also have the right, and the freedom, to go after that position.

It works both ways. NAAFA is a public group, and as such should be willing to face scrutiny on its positions. It isn't even a person, and it certainly isn't private.

Quote:
There is an interesting parallel here -- Often, a chainsmoker who stops smoking and suddenly starts attacking any poor soul who still smokes -- don't they know that they are now suddenly offensive in the eyes of their former smoking buddy?

Wha...what are you saying? That formerly fat people are attacking fat people on subways and public places? Never mind that smoking in a public place inherently forces the smokers' bad habit on those around him, and fat usually doesn't.

I assume you mean verbally, of course. People attacked the position of a group, and not a single individual. Surely you can make that distinction.

Quote:
NAAFA is one organization, if you don't agree with them, you are not obliged to associate with them.

You are also not obliged to shut up, either. It's wrong for you to tell others what they can and cannot say. I think NAAFA is a victims group that tends to do more harm than good. I am not obliged to shut up about that. I'm fat -- and NAAFA does not represent me or my views. It is perfectly fair of me to say so anywhere I choose.

Quote:
They, in turn, are NOT obliged to change just because you do not approve of their philosophy.

Nope. And I'm not obliged to remain silent about their enabling, victim-driven stance.

Quote:
ONE organization is not representative of an entire population -- just as ONE low carb diet is representative of all Low Carbers.

Right, and we can deliniate our differences with that organization as well. There is no harm here in discussing NAAFA is there? Why do you seem to be threatened by the discussion?

Quote:
PREJUDICE is what NAAFA is trying to stop. TOO BAD that prejudice seems to be being rife among those who should be the most understanding of the need for acceptance they try to promote.

I fully support most of the things these groups do to point out and fight the discrimination fat people suffer. It's the stance that seems to say diets are the problem, and that they do not advocate weight loss that disturbs most of us. The reality is that anyone following that philosophy is guaranteed a shorter life with greater health risks - at the very least.

I also do believe that anyone who is morbidly obese and says that they have no desire to change that situation is not being honest. I know that's enforcing my worldview on others, but it's almost surely the truth in almost every situation.

Last edited by kyrasdad : Fri, Feb-13-04 at 07:17.
  #130   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 07:46

BF:

Quote:
I realize its useless to point out ---
-

You are right...NAAFA is ONE organization...an "activist" organization which hold views I, and others, strongly disagree with, which includes banning any research on weight loss. Which also holds the view that weight loss should not be a goal for anyone, including the morbidly obese, because it is a goal that cannot be achieved and sustained. Which is demanding to be consulted on any health care issue relating to the portion of the population that would fall into their targeted membership eligibility group. Most importantly, by "activitist" methods, wants to inact legislation which would affect non-members, members of the targeted membership eligibility group, who strongly disagree with some of their views. They want to do the very thing you are objecting to...force people into accepting views they do not agree with. Not one person posting here has said it is okay to discriminated against fat people, or that they should not have an organization to represent them. We all have been or are, fat...that is why we are all members of this board. Given the fact we are all in the population NAAFA claims to represent, who better to argue the merits of their agenda?
  #131   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 09:35
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Quote:

So is AMA. Expressing any critical views about it does not mean I hate all doctors. I don't think doctors don't deserve to be happy or feel good about themselves. In fact, this is not about feelings at all - I'm just expressing my opinion.
In my previous post I was just wondering who can tell whether a person will succeed in adapting a LC eating style, to take it as an example.
You say it's not OK to 'make' somebody 'diet'. I agree. It is not OK either to tell somebody not to try, just because it can fail. Or make somebody feel bad just because she/he is trying.....

Let each and everyone decide for themselves.

Alina
  #132   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 17:02

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVA
You are right...NAAFA is ONE organization...an "activist" organization which hold views I, and others, strongly disagree with, which includes banning any research on weight loss. Which also holds the view that weight loss should not be a goal for anyone, including the morbidly obese, because it is a goal that cannot be achieved and sustained. Which is demanding to be consulted on any health care issue relating to the portion of the population that would fall into their targeted membership eligibility group. Most importantly, by "activitist" methods, wants to inact legislation which would affect non-members, members of the targeted membership eligibility group, who strongly disagree with some of their views. They want to do the very thing you are objecting to...force people into accepting views they do not agree with. Not one person posting here has said it is okay to discriminated against fat people, or that they should not have an organization to represent them. We all have been or are, fat...that is why we are all members of this board. Given the fact we are all in the population NAAFA claims to represent, who better to argue the merits of their agenda?

FromVa, I think you nailed the issue squarely. This is an organization that is presuming to make decisions and attempt to enact legislation that directly affects me as well as those that belong to their group. They are proceeding under the assumption that they are 100% correct in their positions and that they can/should speak not only for their members but for all people of size who may or may not agree with their philosophy. They have positions that I strongly disagree with, the major one being that they wish to cut off a major source of funding for research into effective weight loss methods.
If those that join their group wish to remain fat, so be it but I strongly object to their attempting to make decisions and enact legislation that affect me that I do not agree with. Based on that, I also have a right to state loudly and clearly that I do not agree with certain policies that they promote. Remaining silent in such a situation is tantamount to agreement through lack of dissent.
I want to make it clear that I disagree with some of the positions of this organization and am criticising an organization, not any one person specifically and/or directly. It seems that some posters have been taking this whole discussion very personally as if these criticisms of NAAFA are aimed directly at them. They are not.
Expressing bewilderment at why anyone would willingly wish to remain obese when a shortened life, health and mobility problems will likely result is not the same as saying that they have no right to choose that if that is their wish, nor is it saying that they do not have a right to be happy, not be discriminated against or have an organization represent them.
Stating that I do not agree with certain positions of NAAFA does not mean that I am prejudiced against people of size. Hello! I AM a person of size (formerly a person of much greater size)!! Does attempting to become smaller and disagreeing with NAAFA's position that it's not in my best interest to do so automatically mean that I hate myself and all people who are in the same position I am? Let's not be ridiculous here. To be accused of hatred and/or prejudice against the overweight/obese because of a disagreement with some of an organizations positions is...well...unfair to say the least. Disagreement does not equal hatred OR prejudice.

Last edited by Lisa N : Fri, Feb-13-04 at 21:21.