Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 264/220/198 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress:

Hello
I followed Atkins 20 years ago, but I always treated it as a quick fix. I thought the high fat level was unhealthy, so I just lost the weight and then got back on my normal diet ie lots of carbs and watch the fat. I would put the weight back on at some stage and have to do it all over.
I would say that this guy is thinking the same thing. Once he gets back into the carbs he will find it very hard to control and in 6 to 12 months when he puts it all back on then he will do the LC thing again. Also his diet was fairly boring and I think he should of eaten a lot more salad and veggies so he may of been lacking a few nutrients.

I got the latest Atkins book last year and have really changed my mind about the long term health benefits of a high fat diet. Looking at Mercola's site and reading Weston Prices book have also really opened my eyes.
Steve
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 17:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/194/140 Female 5'6
BF:Lose 50 in 2004
Progress: 46%

I saw the "middle of the year" show, so I enjoyed reading the end results on this thread. (At that point the marathon runner had not lost anything). I agree - I can't imagine eating all those hamburgers in one week. (Although I too get in my own ruts like shell-less taco salads for five days in a row). Low carbing is so much healthier than that suggests - I eat more veggies now than I ever did eating low fat. Hopefully, people who saw his success will learn more about the program from other sources.

Teresa

Last edited by TAK : Sun, Jan-11-04 at 17:37.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 08:11

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

We eat a lot of ground beef, because it's economical, but we don't make burgers out of it every time. You can make burritos of it with LC tortillas, or use La tiara shells and make tacos, or have it mixed up in a casserole kind of thing. There are other options. We do quite a lot of chicken for the same reason. I have tried to get away from the concept of food as boring or exciting. Every once in a while, it can be, but I want to think of it as fuel, no more important than that. Food is not a reward, not an event. It's just something I do to stay alive.

(Not saying I've achieved that, but I'm trying to set myself to think that way).
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 09:05

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

"kyrasdad: Food is not a reward, not an event. It's just something I do to stay alive."

That is an attitude I have seen expressed before and, for me, is the attitude I find helps with the "emotional" eating issue.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 11:36

Plan: Superfoods RX
Stats: 270.5/228/170 Female 68.5 inches
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 42%
Lightbulb Hmmm

I need that tatooed on the back of my hand. Or use it as a mantra when I try those relaxation/meditation exercises...um tell my brain to shut up please, or engrave it on my fridge....good good good quote!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 12:50
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
Food is not a reward, not an event. It's just something I do to stay alive.

(Not saying I've achieved that, but I'm trying to set myself to think that way).

I had said once before in another post that each day I visit this forum, that I learn something "new" and/or see something in a different way so that I understand it from a different "point of view" and today this is the post!

I am an emotional, event, reward, no reason needed eater!!!! (I even eat to clean out the fridge so we don't waste and throw food away , now thats dumb.

I like this quote, and I am going to post it everywhere to remind me, I seemed to have forgotten that food is fuel, I seemed to have lost that thought along the way, thanks for the reminder
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 01:03

Plan: schwarzbein/atkins
Stats: 200/175/130
BF:?
Progress: 36%

I just have to say that I can see why he suffered a bout of gout.... I'm sorry but I just don't count the piddly amount of lettuce and tomato a fast food place gives you as being ample vegetables.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 12:27
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle
I just have to say that I can see why he suffered a bout of gout.... I'm sorry but I just don't count the piddly amount of lettuce and tomato a fast food place gives you as being ample vegetables.

And something that concerns me also when you watch these programs, it seems like Atkins Induction is all there is and all they show!.... there are 4 phases of his program too! each phase should be given credit where you add in different foods. Atkins last book, Atkins for Life is the way we all will and should be eating someday after we work through the 4 phases. That is the wol/woe I am looking forward to! but, these shows, show Atkins diet as if it is only the induction phase and no progress into other foods after that

I would really like to see a show that would give this woe the credit for all 4 phases!

Last edited by SeeMyself : Tue, Jan-13-04 at 12:30.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 12:42

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default And you thought the Atkins Day 1 menu looked bad....

did you see what the Day 1 Weight Watcher menu was? Talk about a bad advertisement! And they say low carb is vegetable deficient

"Day one
Breakfast: Breakfast bar and black decaf coffee
Snack: Water and Weight Watchers bar
Lunch: Chicken cutlet, apple and water
Dinner: One cup of whole wheat pasta, chicken with free mozzarella and red sauce
Snack: Coffee and piece of cake"

And just in case you thought it got better...

"Day two
Breakfast: 1/2 cup Special K cereal with 1/2 cup skim milk, 1 packet of Equal and black decaf coffee
Snack: Water and grapes
Lunch: Hamburger with fat free cheese, whole wheat bun, lettuce and tomato, and iced tea
Dinner: Three steamed Peking dumplings,
Snack: Water, 1/2 cup sugar free, reduced fat chocolate ice cream, and decaf coffee"

What is a steamed Peking dumpling Whatever it is, I'm sure 3 of them would not be a very appetizing dinner!!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 13:36

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Can that WW menu be right? I am amazed at the lack of vegtables. What gruesome food!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 16:05

Plan: Superfoods RX
Stats: 270.5/228/170 Female 68.5 inches
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 42%
Unhappy Yuck!!!

And to think you have to PAY WW to make you suffer. Perhaps they should advertise on some masochism websites. OOOOH I would love to be eating lunch next to person on that program. They would die of envy. Let's see lunch today:

2 cups romaine lettuce
topped with : 4 oz freshly broiled with spices chicken breast sliced, portabello mushrooms, onions and bacon sauteed with 2 slices chopped bacon. Topped with diced plum tomato, 1 oz sharp cheddar grated, and ranch dressing..could barely finish it!

Lemon Zinger herb tea with .5 packet of Splenda

Strawberry Sugar Free Jello, two sliced frozen strawberries (GAWD after a month without fruit those tasted like ice cream in themselves), and a tbsp whipped topping

So girls, how did you like those peking dumplings YUCK!
AND I DIDN"T HAVE TO PAY ANYONE TO TELL ME TO EAT IT