Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 10:33

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yum!

Watch out for the two-days-after thingie though. sometimes the scale changes not the next day but 2 days after when I am experimenting.

Yes, that is what it seemed happened to me too. Either hybernating or overproducing insulin on the "high protein" plans - at least the way I did them. I wrote somewhere else that I used to have comparatively large protein servings and very small veg and it did not seem to work. I read too on the internet of very low carb slowing down thyroid and that seemed true for me.

Oh also! I was very low in iodine and vitamin D too. Just that much more stress on a metabolism that wasn't working very well.
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 10:49

Plan: Atkins/Reduced dairy
Stats: 280/200/180 Male 5'8
BF:30.4%
Progress: 80%

My concern about this plan is the amount of fat I would need to consume, like 200g which is almost double what I am eating now.
  #228   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 10:56

BF:

Well heck why would you change plans if what you're doing is working ...

How tall are you? 200g of fat for Optimal weight loss would be the max for someone 6' 6".

for weight loss, Dr K recommends 2x grams of fat per gram of protein at the beginning, and after things are flowing, one can lower the fat to 1.5x the protein, or even 1x the protien.
  #229   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 12:45

Not planning a change. Just thinking ahead with an open mind while trying to educate myself.

The calculation is based, in error, on my goal weight not my height. My goal weight is higher than what is recommended for someone my height however I have a very large frame and I'm quite muscular so I thought 180 was a reasonable goal for me.
  #230   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 12:54

BF:

Yes I am heavier and more muscular too, and it changes calculations don't it?
  #231   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 13:07

I don't know that it should. It's just what I did because I didn't consider it when doing the calculation.

Recalculating it based on my height put it at 145 at the top end which doesn't look so scary.
  #232   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 13:57

BF:

Ah ok I understand. yes, 145 not so scary.
  #233   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 11:49
Registered Member

Plan: Experimenting
Stats: 181/181/126 Female 5 3
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thought I'd start a daily menu plan - because I think some of my meals will freak out some of the other boards also, be interesting to see what you all eat and how many are still active with this plan?

Okay, today's menu was:

B 1 danish toast (11g) with fried egg,
L wasn't hungry so just a small piece of cheese
D 2 lamb chops and 4oz mashed potato (about 20g carb)

Coffees with cream - about 3 and maybe one more later.

Last edited by cielo : Sun, Nov-11-12 at 11:56.
  #234   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 08:41

Plan: paleo/optimal diet
Stats: 235/195/185 Male 5feet 11inches
BF:12%

Today's lunch will be an 8egg yolk omelette with 2 corn tortillas all fried in tallow.

I never eat breakfast except maybe coffee with heavy cream.

Dinner will be two 6oz salmon fillets cooked in coconut oil and 3oz potato hash browns also cooked in coconut oil.
  #235   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 10:01

BF:

My day looks kind of like yours, cielo.

B: 1 egg, 1 sausage patty, 2 oz cheddar. 1/2 baking powder biscuit (from K recipe)

lunch - not hungry

dinner - stew with veggies (small amts veg, for flavor only), potatoes lyonnaise (fried in butter)
  #236   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-13, 20:19

Plan: OptimumDiet / Kwasniewski
Stats: 195/188.6/135 Female 161 cm
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi to All,

I am a newbie trying to find my way in this community of dedicated “forumers” and “loosers”.

Seejay, thank you for your welcoming message you left in response to my introduction. I am also relatively older woman, but still young at heart and officially healthy. My only problem is my weight.
First week on OD is coming to end for me and I am feeling mostly OK. Tomorrow morning, one time a week, I will check my weight. I have intention to start a journal to become somewhat more accountable, disciplined and possibly to offer some needed info about OD and my personal experience to other dieters. I have read extensively about Dr Kwasniewski' approach to health and diet and hope that his diet will help me not only to lose weight, but also to remain healthy for many years to come, which is even more important in my view. Few days ago, I have ordered a book by Kwasniewski: “Optimal Nutrition” and I expect to receive it before the end of this month. I also use shareware program “Calculus Victus” (last edition), which helps to calculate proportions, etc.

Do you (or someone else maybe) know about any other good thread discussing Optimal Diet, or this one is the only one on this forum?

All the best,

V.
  #237   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 16:17

BF:

I haven't been able to find any other group of people anywhere on the net, talking about OD. weird huh! let me know if you find something. I think it falls in between most of the other popular programs. Too high carb for low carb, too high fat for low fat, too low veg for the veg believers!
  #238   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 20:40

BF:

There is an Australian web site at http://www.cybernaut.com.au/optimal...tion/index.html
They provide reliable information and also there is a forum, but for some unknown reason I cannot get an access to it. Maybe this forum is only meant for people from Australia or it is not working well. I did not find any other forum in English, which would suggest that it is specifically about Dr Kwasniewski’ Optimal Diet. Similar approach is often discussed on LCHF sites or Paleo sites, but they do not follow any proportions. OP way of eating is also the Paleo, but I believe that the Kwasniewski’ proportions are a key to the success.
V.
  #239   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 21:16

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I didn't think the Aussie site was current. Seems like it wound down a few years ago....maybe started back up.

Low Carb Friends had a long Dr K discussion under 'other plans', although there's a ton of info, not many posting now.
Maybe you can round up the peop who are still following.

I think many have just gone to the LCHF/NK sub forums just because they are more active.

Sounds like you are on the right path. Good luck.
  #240   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 07:54

BF:

Thank you Jem51.
I think that Aussie do not post to their site on current basis, because there is not much of a new development to this theory in resent years. It looks as Dr Kwasniewski retired and other optimal doctors in Poland follow still the same principles. Kwasniewski's last book on the diet was issued about year 2000. The last edition includes his latest observations and updated advice, and this is the one that I have ordered.

Last edited by Vista : Mon, Jan-21-13 at 08:04.