Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 20:10

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%
Question Anybody Workout

I pretty much follow the Schwarzbein plan recommendations:

2-3 days strength/weights
2 days cardio
2-5 days yoga/pilates

I workout 5-7 days a week. I've cut down on the cardio after reading Dr. S's book. I've also started doing the yoga again.

I do lots of FIRM tapes, and have some Cathes too. I also belong to a gym and do kickboxing, step, and spinning there.

What about YOU??

Carole
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 22:28
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Smile Good Question!

You have an admirable workout schedule CaroleSP!

I've posted this before but here goes:

Tai Chi 2 X per wk
Walking min 40 min 3 or 4 X per wk, sometimes yoga instead
Somatics class 1X per wk, pratice 3 X

I am trying to incorporate some strength training 2X per wk but have been inconsistent so far.

My goal is to get some form of physical acitivity in everyday, even if it's not "exercise" per se, like somatics.

My body needs movement to heal as well as the right foods.

Just do it!
amieK
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 11:45

What is somatics?
Carole
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:35

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default :wave: Hi and Good Morning

Regarding exercise and workouts:

I joined a gym close to where I work. I workout a minimum of 3 x's per week during my lunch hour. This gym is really great - has a variety of programs. Monday's we do cross training (step cardio + bands/weights); Tuesdays is circuit classes; Wed. is all cardio (since reading TSP II I discontinued taking this class and I do 20 - 30 min. on treadmill then I do 20 - 30 min. of weight training and stretching); Thursday is circuit class; and Friday is stretch class - usually using a fitball. I take (beginners) yoga on Thursday evenings at a local community centre (I am hoping to gain better balance and flexibility thru yoga). I am in the midst of menopause and I figure the weights are good for the old bones! I LOVE working out - I find it good for relieving stress and now that I am on Schwarzbein, I can actually see a difference in my body - YEAH! I find I have sooooooo much more energy too!

Chow for now!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 16:12

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default workouts

Well I was a compulsive overexerciser. Probably my old workout schedule is posted somewhere on this forum. After reading SPII my New Year's resolution was to stop overexercising before I totally burned out my adrenals. God decided to make sure I stuck to this resolution by allowing me to drop a 25# weight on my big toe. It still hasn't healed, in fact, it is infected now.

Since I can't wear closed-toe shoes, I can't use the weight room. I've been doing Pilates 2x/wk and yoga 1-2x/wk. But the dr said to quit doing yoga for awhile or at least don't do the poses where I'm up on my toes. (I was impressed that she realized that yoga was more than just stretching). I took a month off from cardio as suggested. Now I am back to teaching my water aerobics class once a week and running 5-10min on the Precor 2x/wk. I will increase my time on the Precor when my foot gets better. What I need to make time for is stretching every day.

Jen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 21:29

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default I do

You can check my gym log
Mostly I do the firm..
I will get back to doing some of the Cathe heavier workouts.
and hope to get acouple of more of the Fitprime workouts.
I love the weights.
Oh..and if I am just too tired or stressed I have Leslie Sansone to fall back on.
Nedra
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 09:10

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Over the last several years I have come to realize how important being consistent about exercise is to my well being. The TSP bks. have reinforced this for me, and showed me how balance is also important .

I love to walk, and have always had dogs, so find this is necessary anyway. I walk one dog around 3 city blocks and the other around 2 at least 5 days per week (the youngest is great incentive--he tears up the house if I don't help him burn his energy) When it is just too bad I rely on videos and my treadmill. In the summer I will walk to the grocery also (about a city mile one way). DH and I will take long walks with the dogs in our nearby city park in good weather about once a wk. also. I find wearing a pedometer helpful and fun also.

I also use hand weights of 2- 5 lbs about 3xs weekly. I have noticed a bit of a difference in body composition when I started doing this.

If feeling stressed I find simple yoga, tai chi, stretching or isometric tapes especially helpful at reducing it.

The type I have to really have a talk with myself to include are abdominal workouts, but they help me the most. I have a 15 minute tape by Joanie Greggains that is most helpful. I keep telling myself 15 minutes is not long and try to remember how beneficial it is within just a few days.

I think it is important to have one day wkly. when one just doesn't do any routine also.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 18:52
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Carole -

It's easier to state the purpose of somatics than define it. The purpose is to retrain the muscles in order to let go of bad habits the muscles have fallen into.

Somatics is all about the mind/body connection and reteaching the muscles how to move correctly. I'm quite excited about it. It's not really an exercise class so much as....what? very simple movements, sorta stretches but not. The focus is on fully releasing the muscle after contracting it.

Hope that it explains it a bit,
amie
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 10:17

Somatics sounds interesting and beneficial. Do you have to do it in private sessions with a trainer? Is it expensive?
Carole
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 09:35

Plan: shwarzbein/protein power
Stats: 165/135/125
BF:
Progress: 75%

I do Pilates 4-5x a week. Walking when I can( it's really icy here right now) Light free wights every other day. Need to add some more cardio that's kid friendly.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 15:40

Stats: 140/137/115 Female 60"
BF:Not Sure
Progress: 12%
Default My Workout

I came back after a couple of weeks of no posts here to find a lot of posting. How exciting!

I walk 20 mins every day. On a break from work we walk up the parking structure and back down, which ends up being a mile. I don't really consider it a "real" workout, but it is good for improving my mood since I'm not overly thrilled to be at the job every morning.

I try to do T-Tapp 3 times a week, but I'm not very good at doing it that much. If you've never heard of it, it's kind of like Pilates, I suppose. It focuses on muscle fatigue in a specific order, and muscle retraining, I guess like the other workout on this thread. I've met Teresa Tapp (hence T-Tapp) personally and she is a really neat lady. It's the only workout that I've ever seen make any difference on my body whatsoever. For me, something has to start showing results pretty quick or I give up altogether.

When I got to the part in SPII about overexercising, I kinda laughed. "Grass must be greener" as the phrase goes, because that would NEVER in a million years be my problem I'm a chronic underexerciser. It's not that I'm lazy and/or too tired, I just don't make it a priority. I'm taking baby steps to correct that habit, but it all takes time. Right now I'm focused on eating properly. Soon that will be second nature and I can focus on adding workouts in more often.

-Tiffany
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 19:50

Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I do The Firm Tapes mostly. I try to get at least 5 workouts in durning a week. I also do Leslie Sansone tapes. I have also backed off in how much I was working out, but I'm ready to increase again, because my level of weight loss has some what decreased during the winter. I won't add much, maybe 1/2 hr to 45min a week of Leslie tapes, and also add some extra abd work. I would like to get some fit prime tapes but budget doesn't allow it at the moment.
I have also started a exercise log.
Tanya
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 20:10

Thumbs up Fan of the FIRM

I really love the FIRM tapes, I have about 25 of them. I also have some Cathes and 2 FitPrimes. I've got quite the video collection... even have some pilates and yoga tapes too. I need to have variety in my workouts, I get bored easily. I like to switch up my routines every now and then.
At the gym, I'm really liking the Kickboxing and spinning classes.
Carole
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 22:03

Plan: schwartbein principle
Stats: 148.5/139/126
BF:35%
Progress: 42%

I take a tai chi class twice a week, and try to practice 15 minutes a day most days. And I just got a treadmill -- I do about 15-20 minutes a day, most days, while listening to a meditation tape. That's fun for me, I get bored without a tape to listen to. My poor dog just stands in "heel" position by the side of the treadmill. He faces forward, alert, just standing there. Poor guy . . .I can't wait for warmer weather! (the blizzard hasn't helped either!)
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 11:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%
Exclamation Body for Life Yeah

I have been doing the Body for Life program for 14 weeks and I am seeing amazing results. I didn't care for the eating part of the program so I switched that part to SPII. The Body for Life is:

Monday Upper Body Resistance Training 45 minutes
Tuesday 20 minutes Cardio
Wednesday Lower Body Resistance Training 45 minutes
Thursday 20 minutes Cardio
Friday Upper Body Resistance Training 45 minutes
Saturday 20 minutes Cardio
I also squeeze in some Pilates

It works great with SPII. So far I've lost 2 inches in my bust, 2 inches in my waist, and 2 inches in my hips/gut. And I'm toning up