Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#376   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 15:01

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You can use either.
Sponsored Links
  #377   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 07:14

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is
Progress: 36%

Hi Bawdy- I LOVE this recipe and have made it numerous times- it always comes out well. I've tweaked it with flavored daVinci syrups (Irish cream, raspberry, almond) and added cocoa a couple of times. My kids and dh all think it's great.

On leaking- I am too lazy to use a springform. I did the first time, but after that, I've just put it in a deep pie dish. It works just fine. I have two ceramic type deep dish pie plates/pans.
  #378   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 18:46
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Bawdy, I tried your recipe and am in love! I used natural sweeteners instead of the Splenda, and added blueberries. I will forever use this cheesecake recipe. SO creamy! I hope you don't mind that I plopped it on a shortbread crust and posted it at my blog (with credit to you, of course!). Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe with the world! I was not a big cheesecake fan until trying out your recipe.
  #379   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 22:25

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I made this using Bawdy's original recipe, using SF DaVinci Vanilla syrup instead of splenda in the batter. It was very, very good. I made the recipe as cupcakes and baked them for 20 minutes. I didn't bother with the bowl of water 'cuz I don't care about cracks. What did bother me, however, is that I couldn't get all the batter into 12 cupcakes -- had a bunch of batter leftover that I put into another container and cooked separately. Then, the refrigerated cupcakes next morning had all sunk in their centers QUITE a bit. Would the bowl of water have prevented that problem?

My coworkers enjoyed the cupcakes - as did I; I intend to make this again in maybe a couple of weeks, and try a different flavor, or add in blueberries. Maybe add a little lemon juice.
  #380   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 18:00
Glamazon

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/193.5/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Ok, this is delicious!!!!

I made the original recipe, plain, no crust. I used the foil muffin liners, and got 20 regular-sized muffin cup servings.

I used granulated splenda... yum. I just ate one at room temp, I can't wait to taste it tomorrow! It came right out of the paper.

Thank you for sharing this recipe, I love that I can do so much with it, and there's no hard to find ingredients!

I plan on making the pumpkin version next. I will do the whole can of pumpkin, the 1/2 cup of sf maple syrup, and the pumpkin pie spice, probably a tablespoon. I will have to taste it, I like more spice than some.

Will let you know how it turns out!

Thanks, Bawdy!
  #381   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 10:49

Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I will definitely try one of the flavors you mentioned but it won't be till I go to the grocery store sometime this week!
  #382   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-08, 23:09
Absurdtive

Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

We made this for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. I used half splenda and half stevia in the batter and made a crust with 1 cup of ground macadamia nuts, half a cup of ground golden flax meal, butter, and splenda. I also added some lemon zest to the batter along with the vanilla extract. It was not a very tall cheesecake, shorter than I anticipated so I probably could have used an 8" springform rather than the 9" one. Not a problem though, since it is very rich and a cake that was twice as tall would probably be too much cake.

We cut it into 8 slices, which are a little larger than the original recipe called for but I think that this is offset by the carb savings from subbing stevia for half of the splenda in the batter. We par-baked the crust for about 10 minutes at 350 and then let it cool in the fridge before adding in the batter. The cake cooked for about 35 minutes and then sat in the oven with the door cracked by an aluminum foil snake until it hit room temp, then was transferred to the fridge with some saran wrap overnight.

That's probably more play-by-play than anyone needed, but someone may find it useful. I will make this again, although not for a while since I'm still in induction.

--Melissa
  #383   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 05:37

BF:

Play by play is good! People always want to know the details. I always like to know what people use for a crust, as I've never found a crust I particularly like (or, more to the point, that my husband likes). So, I almost always make this without a crust.

I know what you mean about the thickness. The first time I made it, I used a large springform pan, but it's was way too skinny. Now I use a very small pan.

Glad you enjoyed it!
  #384   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 17:25
Absurdtive

Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Play by play is good! People always want to know the details. I always like to know what people use for a crust, as I've never found a crust I particularly like (or, more to the point, that my husband likes). So, I almost always make this without a crust.

I know what you mean about the thickness. The first time I made it, I used a large springform pan, but it's was way too skinny. Now I use a very small pan.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah, I'd never made a nut crust before. I think adding the flax meal helped make it a little more crust-like and also had the added benefit of reducing the amount of nuts needed to make the crust. I love mac nuts, so I really liked that crust, but I could see that it wouldn't be good if you didn't like them.

I think next time I will use the 8" pan--that's the smallest one that I own. I didn't realize that it wouldn't need the 9" pan since that's what most recipes call for. I think I am going to go freeze the rest so that I don't eat it all this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.

--Melissa
  #385   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 21:17

Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

This sounds like a wonderful recipe! How did the cupcake/muffin tin size turn out? How do you count it? How much batter do you put in each? Do you have to spray Pam on the liners?
Sorry for all the questions...I really think it would be easier for me to manage not to eat the whole recipe if it was divided!
  #386   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 14:15

Stats: 220/255/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -88%

So, I've been playing around with different flavors with this recipe. Last time I added cinnamon to the batter, probably less than a 1/4 C, and it was so flippin' delicious! It really added another layer of tastiness to the whole thing. It wasn't very strongly flavored, more like a very creamy cheesecake with a hint of cinnamon smokiness.

And the batter I made today, I added coconut extract and unsweetened coconut flakes. I still have one ramekin left (I use individual ramekins, using no crust, for portion/carb control) of the cinnamon cheesecake, so I'll be eating that tonight and trying the coconut cheesecake tomorrow. But holy cow, I'm glad you posted this recipe. I eat it daily now and it's not interfering with weight loss, so yippee!
  #387   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 14:26

BF:

Glad you like the recipe.

I just made one a couple weeks ago. Plain, but dropped in little spoonfuls of sugar-free strawberry preserves, and then swirled it through. Hubby loved it!

The coconut variation sounds yummy. Let us know how much extract and coconut you use, and how it comes out.

You added 1/4 cup of cinnamon to the batter? Did you mean 1/4 teaspoon?
  #388   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 15:58

BF:

Well, I don't tend to measure when I start adding things in, so...I did mean 1/4 C, but like I said, I used less than that. I just poured some in, mixed it, thought it needed more, mixed that in as well and then I think I added a shake more at the end. So, it was really just "to taste" and no idea on the measurements. It was enough mixed in that I could sometimes feel the small bits of cinnamon when I focused on it, but definitely not overwhelming.

Same with the coconut one I made this morning. I probably added a couple teaspoons of coconut extract but no idea on the coconut flakes. Probably less than half a cup, but more than a 1/4. It just looked like it had the right amount, so I went with that. They smelled delicious! I'll try one tomorrow and let you know what I think of them.
  #389   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-09, 21:17

BF:

Oh man. So good! It has a very light, coconutty flavor to it, totally rocks.
  #390   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 18:41

Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Lovin' the cheesecake. I do make smaller sizes, either cupcakes or small ramekin size. YUM I like to put strawberry fruit preserves or maybe blueberries on it.