Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-10, 08:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction/CALP
Stats: 142/137/125 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default I wonder if VEGETABLE juice can cause stalling?

I understand that fruit will sabotage the diet, but I didn't want to give up my Green Smoothies, so I've been drinking 2 quarts of smoothie every day, made of low-carb vegetables: cucumber, spinach, celery, kale, lettuce, lemon juice, and 1 packet of Stevia. I thought that would be perfect, and easily allow me to get in a lot of vegetables--but I wonder if blending the vegetables (with water) makes them more likely to cause insulin problems? I know I gained weight when I was doing a traditional "juicing" diet. But that makes sense because all the fiber is removed when juicing. But now I'm wondering if even BLENDING vegetables is a problem.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 23:09
Registered Member

BF:

Well, now that I have done more reading, I think I can answer my own question: Yes.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-10, 05:08

Plan: low carbs/ NO SUGAR
Stats: 110/100/95 Female 4/11
BF:
Progress: 67%

HI! Well I drank pretty much the same as you have been for months and months and it didn't stall me.I gave it up though because it was getting to me too much effort and I was'nt really seeing any benefit, so now i just EAT the stuff. Just curious, the info you read what did it say? Ta.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-10, 06:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytan
HI! Well I drank pretty much the same as you have been for months and months and it didn't stall me.I gave it up though because it was getting to me too much effort and I was'nt really seeing any benefit, so now i just EAT the stuff. Just curious, the info you read what did it say? Ta.

It wasn't just one place, it was more a conclusion I drew after reading lots of posts of people who said they were stalling for all sorts of reasons that one would think would be pretty insignificant, and also some of the books in which I found information on how some people are EXTREMELY sensitive to any extra carbohydrates at all, or carbs in unusual form (I'm interpreting that juiced could be a factor). I'm glad you told me the juice didn't stall you. I may want to do it again some day. I actually find it to be LESS effort than eating all those raw vegetables.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-10, 15:19
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

interesting!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-10, 07:54

Plan: CAD
Stats: 176/-/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 10%

Even if you drink it during your R.?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-10, 22:26
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmindy
Even if you drink it during your R.?

It probably would be okay during the R.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-10, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 287.4/287.4/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

One thing that shocked me was when I found out how much carbs were in lemon juice.

I used to slice up some lemons and cook them over and under my chicken breasts in the oven. Gave them an excellent flavor, especially with chicken salad.

Well, every time I made the chicken this way and ate it, I would get hungry about an hour or two later. I just could not figure out why, and lemons, was on the "low carb" acceptable list for Atkins (did Atkins for a short spurt, didn't last long). Then I looked up the nutrition content, and was shocked to see that the juice of one small lemon is 8 carbs! I also made sugar free lemonade with fresh lemons, and again, would be hungry or ravenous in a couple of hours.

So, I got my answer when I looked up the nutritional value of lemons. If I want my lemon chicken or chicken salad made with the lemon chicken, I must have it with the reward meal now. Really stinks, as I have several versions of chicken salad, and most of them can only be eaten with the RM.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-10, 17:04
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
isn't it amazing!!!!
One of my friends was doing CALP with me a few years ago. SHe called all upset one day- she had tuna salad for lunch and was starving a couple of hours later. It ended up that the mayo had sugar as an ingredient- she switched to Dukes with no sugar and had no problem.

My chicken salad is just chicken, mayo/sour cream, pepper and celery- yum.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-10, 17:51
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 287.4/287.4/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
isn't it amazing!!!!
One of my friends was doing CALP with me a few years ago. SHe called all upset one day- she had tuna salad for lunch and was starving a couple of hours later. It ended up that the mayo had sugar as an ingredient- she switched to Dukes with no sugar and had no problem.

My chicken salad is just chicken, mayo/sour cream, pepper and celery- yum.

I make a Cape Cod Chicken Salad with cranberries and almonds. I also love another chicken salad made with grapes and pecans. So good, but again, have to save those for reward meals, lol. Could get me into trouble with the Cm's like my lemon chicken!