Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 16:03
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default calp and exercise

Ok, I have been on Atkins for over a year, a CKD for several months and currently FLOUNDERING.
I exercise (typically cardio 2-3 times a week, weights 3 x weekly) so I'm thinking one reason Atkins failed towards the end was that I kept my carbs way low. When I introduced the CKD and the carb up I could really tell a difference in added muscle. NOW I would like to lose the last 25 pounds I have been trying to dump for the past 9 months. I've read the CALP book (twice) and attempted it this week. I have found it difficult not to go over board on the carbs with this plan but still afraid Atkins is too much the other way. (am I making sense?)

So here's my thoughts - either CALP (again) or back to induction and increase those carbs slowly like I was supposed to. IF I chose the CALP option I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to have my reward meal in the morning as it is my understanding the carbs would be best utilized shortly after a workout (which I do in the morning). I would forgo the salad and I know I wouldn't be as tempted for sweets (never was one for eating cake in the morning, well ok, pancakes....) as I was with the evening reward meal.

Anybody else exercising and successful on CALP? Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 16:55
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Sorry I can't help you on the exercise bit.

CAD/CADL can be moved to any meal. If you have cravings on CAD or have trouble stopping at your reward meal, you need to examine the non carb meals for hidden carbs. Carbs (other than allowed foods) at non carb meals/snacks can cause insulin surges and rebound appetite/cravings. Shakes and bars are notorious for this effect in carbohydrate addicts.

Some of my best weight loss on CAD was to have my reward meal every day for lunch. That strategy gave me a chance to work the extra carbs off through the rest of the day.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 09:46
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default thanks

I have opted for the higher carb breakfast at this time but I think the lunch would work, too. Just too tempting at night to have dessert. Not a behavior I'm concerned about at any other meal and you're right, I'm thinking it would be easier to work the carbs off earlier in the day.