Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 17:19

Plan: Protein Power, Atkins
Stats: 176/167/151
BF:19
Progress: 36%
Default the recipe !

OK Rob, excellent. Let's have the muffin recipe !! Sounds very good.
I am also interested on your approach b/c I think there is a very different LC approach required for those folks who are around the 200+lb mark and those of us in the 160-170 range, ie much closer to acceptable body weight/ composition, but looking to LC to get down to where we want to be and not sacrifice any of that hard-earned muscle
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 18:04

Plan: Zone
Stats: 235/190/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Rob
I would also be interested in your fax muffin recipe. could post it here please? Also, which protein shake do you use and what do you generally mix in with it. water? fruit?
thanks
kat
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 21:26
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 174/138/135
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default flax muffin recipe

Hello again Rob.

It appears that your muffin recipe holds some interest for others too! Thanks for sharing. I also find your approach to LC helpful.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 12:21

Stats: 135/125/120
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Calorie Counting

Hi Rob, You seem to know a bunch about all of this stuff and I'm really enjoying your input and advice. I do have a question for you though. One of the reasons I got so turned onto this way of eating is because of the promise that I wouldn't have to count calories so much. Do you think the old 10X or 12X body weight caloric formula still applies? I'm just real curious because I'm so close to what I want to weigh, but I seem stuck getting this last 5 to 10 lbs off. I try not to complain too much because I have stopped smoking while incorporating this new eating lifestyle, so I just chucked off the stall because of that - I mean, I didn't gain any weight either. But, if there's a way to push down these extra lbs. I'm interested to know how.

Further to my quandary about being stalled, I have added some of Dr. Atkins muffins and Aunt Paula's brownies into my diet. Do you think these might be adding too many carbs? It's not like I'm eating a box a day or anything for sure. Just for snack purposes in between meals.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 13:13

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%

Wow talk about sudden popularity!!

DebA,

( in my opinion) calories definitely do count but we dont count them formally . At the end of the day if you consume 1500 Cal while doing LC ( very easily done) and you should be taking in 1200 then it will go slow or even stall . So my advice is stick to 10 X body weight , definitely not more . Less if possible but not less than 1000 Cal . This is the minimal for basal metabolic rate ie: essential cellular function . Also , if you go too low you will get bored and hungry and it will all definitely stop . Be careful of carbs when you are eating fat !! the combination is lethal . Carbs = Insulin = fat into cells = adiposity . However I find that a small rise in carbs can stimulate your metabolism. Hope that helps .

PeterJ,

do look at PP , it will tell you how much protein you should eat in order to prevent your body from loosing lean body mass .

PJB and Kat here is my fab muffin recipe . Hope you enjoy em as much as I do . They are 2.5 g each

heat oven to 175 deg C
place 12 paper cookie cups into a 12 cookie tray

dry mix:

2 scoops soy protein isolate ( plain or vanilla ) mine is UK made
1/2 cup splenda
1/2 tsp stevia
1/2 cup golden flax seeds . Grind them in grinder
40 grams ground almond ( almond meal)
40 grams unsweetened dessicated coconut
1/2 tsp salt ( use potassium salt for better health )
2 heaped tsp baking powder
4 tbl butter . mix in as if making a crumble pastry mixture

wet mix:

1 cup water
80 ml buttermilk
1 and 1/2 tbl almond essence
1 and 1/2 tbl vanilla

add wet to dry and mix well

spoon into muffin cups ( average 1 and 1/2 spoonfuls per cup)

decorate tops with poppy seeds

place in oven and bake for 35 minutes

remove from oven and from cookie tray and allow to cool preferably overnight , they taste better that way .

You can play with the flavourings , cinnamon , chocolate and with the toppings ,sesame seeds etc.

Sorry I use cookie and muffin interchangeably ( I am in the UK )

ENJOY !!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 13:23
Registered Member

Plan: Keeping carbs under 20
Stats: // Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

Those sound tasty. Where in the US can you get the Flax?
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 13:29

I'm not in the US but I expect that you can get Flax seeds at any health food store

Rob
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 14:03

Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Successes following PP

I have through the PP message board watched this gal reach her goal wt. and become a poster gal for just how successful one can be following the PP WOL....truly amazing and a great testimony to PP... kudos to you Tracy J....B

http://bbs.eatprotein.com/cgi-bin/u...ic;f=2;t=000547
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 14:20

BF:
Default Isn't it great to be popular!

Hey Rob, thanks for the input on my stall. But even more, thanks for the great recipe for the muffins!!!

DebA
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 14:41
Registered Member

Stats: 174/138/135
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default stalls

Hi Rob!
Thanks so much for the recipe. I have some in the oven as we speak.

Just one more question if I may.........
when you increase your carb intake slightly to break a stall-----is this by having more veggies, fruit, -- or do you really break out and have some "forbidden " foods. I am stalled with only about 7 lbs. to go to reach goal----so I don't want to overdo and get the scale going in the wrong direction! Thanks again.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 00:55

PJ the first time I ate something really forbidden like real candy ,I felt awful for days with gastric discomfort and heart burn !!!

So I dont recommend you do that .

I would rather treat myself to a yumm LC cheesecake or eat some extra nuts or fruit etc.

Rob
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 07:31

BF:
Default Cheescake

Hi iRob. Since you're giving out recipes, what's this about LC Cheescake?!!!! How is that possible? I've been making REAL cheesecakes for years (it's like a holiday tradition for me) and I would LOVE to know how to avoid the excess carbs and still make one.

Thanks very much!!

Debra
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 12:29

DebA the way to make LC cheesecake is to use AS in place of sugar and for the crust use a nut meal eg: ground almond and butter . All the other ingredients are the same eg: cream cheese ,eggs ,cream , etc...

There are many recipes for LC cheesecake here and many other places on the web . Just type in "cheesecake " in the search icon at the top of this page

Rob
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 19:50

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Bloodwork results --

Hi all --

Before we got on our flax muffin kick we were talking about bloodwork results -- DebA reported how much better her cholesterol and triglycerides were in her last bloods, and I congratulated her, suggesting that my first bloods since going low carb had just been taken, and I promised to tell you all how it had gone --

Cholesterol -- 220, Triglycerides, 270

Now before you say anything -- the cholesterol is about the same as my last bloods, taken back in March. But my triglycerides are about HALF was they were in March! And this is the biggie: I was taking meds for my triglycerides then, and I'm not now!

So with triglyceride meds and on a low fat diet I was running about 600 -- without the meds and on a low carb diet I am half that. You tell me!

RA Harris, North Jersey Highlands
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 05:59
Registered Member

Plan: None, now
Stats: 222.5/241/140 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: -22%
Default flax muffin recipe

Hi,

Anyone do the amounts conversions? I'm having a hard time figuring out what the amounts would be in US measurements...

I also don't like coconut - maybe replacing that with more flax seeds or leaving it out would be ok...?

Inna