Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 15:35

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Ginger Root

Hi there,
I was reading on another lc board that ginger root (by itself, not with other stuff) is good for irritation and rashes (I have developed a rash in erm, the most unfortunate place I think because of the extreme humidity this summer ) so I ordered some from Vitamin Shoppe. However, I was doing more research and I see that it's also supposed to be good for headaches (I suffer from chronic headaches) and metabolism (I think it raises your metabolism) which would be a nice fringe benefit, if it were true. Anyone know anything about this suppliment?

I know ginger root has been added to several weight loss suppliments including one that Atkins brand puts out but I'm wondering what it does on its own. The capsules I ordered have 550 mg of ginger root per capsule. I also read somewhere else that it is supposed to increase appetite (hopefully this is false).

Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 11:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Tam,

I've never heard of ginger root being used for rashes or headaches Mostly as a folk remedy for nausea, upset stomach and indigestion. I just buy the fresh root at a grocery store, although I do have ground dried ginger on my spice rack.

Actually, the info at Healthwell.com does mention headaches as a traditional use for ginger, but there's no scientific basis for that.

Perhaps the fact that ginger can help to settle a queasy stomach is where the idea that it's an appetite stimulant comes from? In that case, it would be helpful for someone with no appetite or who feels nauseous .. but probably no effect on someone with normal appetite.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 11:23

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default I take it for my stomach

Funny, though, since LCing, I haven't needed it.

Can't say I've heard about the rash trick. Hot weather's a bear when I'm fat.