Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/159/135
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Who is following Protein Power?

I would love to see who is actually following the PPLP way of eating. Could you post here, and if you have a journal, I would love to read it.

Looking at PPLP as our families WOE.

Thanks and God Bless!

Marsha, Tim, and Andy

Moving from Atkins
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 19:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/159/135
BF:
Progress: 37%

Gees! Doesn't anyone follow Protein Power???
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 20:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yep! I do. I've been LC for a long time though, so what I originally started with is blurry. The way I eat now has come about through trial and error, always aiming for maximum energy (but sometimes falling short. )

I have a journal, but don't post that much in it anymore. I go through spurts.

HAve you checked out the Protein Power Forum? You will probably get better ideas from newer PP users. If the member keep a journal, a journal icon will be at the bottom of ther post. A click will take you directly to their journal.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 09:21

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

I do PPLP--dilettant approach. (mostly organics, free range meat, but I do have cheese and the occasional dose of splenda)

My journal, however, is mostly about emotional eating issues--some menus at the beginning.

Natrushka is also a PP person--try her journal, as well.

HTH
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 22:55

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default gee, I guess I do . . .

Hi there --

Sure, I do PP. And keep a journal. I got there through a back door -- after reading a very persuasive article about LC I spent an hour in a bookstore sitting on the ground looking at cookbooks. I am an ex-chef, and I guess it did not occur to me to start with the plan itself; rather, I thought I could start with a set of recipes that would give me the right idea. I ended up with =Low Carb Living= by Fran McCullough, which I strongly recommend.

But then after a while I posted some technical questions and a person on this forum politely suggested it would make sense for me to RTFM (she didn't use the term, I did -- it means "read the =f= manual," and comes to us from the people who provide computer support!). So I picked up PP and have found it =very= useful.

All this might sound as though I am now something of a seasoned expert, but that is not the case. I mean, this all happened just recently ! But I have started keeping a very detailed journal; I cite what I eat every day, and I use Fitday.com to calculate the absolute amount of calories, fat, carbs, and protein, as well as the percent of fat, carbs and protein in my diet. Goal -- to consume 10x my body weight in calories each day (2600) and for that diet to comprise about 75% fat, 5% carbs, and 25% protein per day.

I've only been keeping the journal in this much detail for a week, but I certainly plan to keep it up. It is listed under "raharris meditative LC journal." Hope this helps -- RA Harris
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 08:12

Plan: protein power
Stats: 211/195/145
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default PP User

Hello, I've been LCing since March and lost about 2lbs per month. I've just recently decided to tweak my eating plan and the PP is the way I've decided to go. I have the old book and I figured out that I get 14 grams of protein as a minimal each meal. Then I picked up the new book (PPLP) and it says I should get I think 34 each meal. What a difference!! I can't imagine eating that much protein at one meal. I'm also resistant to measuring, and writing things down but looks like I'm headed that way if I intend to speed up my weight loss.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 23:41
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 157/128/137 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 145%

I am doing protein power and have been since July 1, 2002. Thus far, I have lost 9 pounds. For the first two weeks, i was sick as a dog and I increased my carbs to between 40-50 for about a month. Now I am backing my ECC down to about 25-35 and I am not having the nausea any longer.

I split my carbs up to about 15 for each meal and then maybe two 5 carb snacks a day.

For example...lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, cheese 1/4 c. apple 2 oz, ranch dressing, 6 oz grilled chicken. That is maybe about 17 carbs the way i make mine.

Protein shake..protein powder, 1 tbsp peanut butter, dash of splenda. depending on your power that makes about 7-9 of carbs.

I have maybe 6 oz of some kind of meat, 1/4 cup of some kind of pea, pinto bean, black eyed pea...green beans about 3/4 c.

I eat low carb bread...two pieces of low carb bread. 4 oz of turkey, 1 oz bacon, 1 tbsp mayo. dill pickles.

Breakfast..one piece of low carb bread, scrambled egg 2, bacon, sausage or ham.

I dont like to cook so i do a lot of protein shakes and sandwich type things.

I make a pizza that has low carbs but it has a lot of calories from all the cheese. It is delicious tho.

Even in Protein power you can have bread. Some people get very irate if you are not as strict as they are but I have felt no urge to go devour an entire loaf of bread.

Chat vol, I have protein of around 130g per day.

Hope this helps.

gina
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 10:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 260/185/185
BF:34%/20%/19%

MarshaS,

I switched from Akins to PP in April of 2000 after visiting the clinic in Boulder. At that time I was put on the “Purist” life plan because of existing health conditions. Although I have since strayed from the strict “purist life plan”, I still remain close to it’s way of eating. Presently, I rarely consume more than 20 grams of effective carbs a day.

I kept a complete record of my meals and exercise with “LifeForm” until I reached my goal weight. After that I became very lax, it has been over a year since I made an entry.

jfo
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 19:31

Plan: schwarzbein/atkins
Stats: 200/175/130
BF:?
Progress: 36%

Hi- I hope you are still reading this forum to get this response so many months later, but I am new to this forum. I have been doing Atkins for a while but had a hard time sticking to induction and didn't lose very fast anyway. I am metabolically resistant. But anyway I was frustrated with it and took out my old PP book which I bought a few years ago when I first discovered locarbing. I realized that what I have been doing is actually closest to their diet than anything else. I like it better than atkins because I like wine with dinner and feel that there need to be restrictions on quantities in order for me to lose. Today I finally did the whole computation of lean body mass/protein requirement exercise and realized I am probably eating too much protein for my 5'3" frame. I am hoping that if I cut out a couple of ounces of protein at dinner (the only time of day I was overeating protein) that maybe my weight loss will speed up. I also think that the Eades book seems less like a sales pitch and is more honest about what it takes to lose weight.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: None, now
Stats: 222.5/241/140 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: -22%
Post Glad to hear there's others...

I've been on PP for about 2 1/2 weeks so far, but having a hard time keeping my carbs below around 40 or so. I really think I need to get more strict. I also just read the atkins website, and am in a quandry about whether I can handle doing 2 weeks of that strict a diet (it DEFINITELY feels like major deprivation there!) - especially since I don't like to eat that much meat, and I don't like jello (yuk).

So I'm thinking I'll give PP another shot, and try to be better about measuring and counting ounzes. The weight loss promised by atkins is huge, so I don't know... but it's also a lifestyle issue... I have a long way to go, and I'm afraid that if I restrict my eating that much I'll just give it up and go back to eating ice cream for dinner...

Inna
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 20:14

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan since 6/6/02
Stats: 269/209/126
BF:Unknown
Progress: 42%
Thumbs up Protein Power Success X 2

Hi,

My husband and I both are having a great experience following PP.

I have been on PP since June 6, 2002 and he started on June
11. My weight has gone from 269 to 225 and his has gone from
292 to 248.

I no longer say I'm on a diet because people want me to explain
it (ugh). It's a new way of nutrition in my home, one I am
fascinated with after struggling with weight gain for the past 7
years.

Here's what we do.....for starters we drink 3 eight oz glasses of
water a day, we eat 6 times everyday....

7:30 a.m. 2 full eggs and 5 oz (or less) of one: sausage, bacon,
ham centercut, or beef kielbasa
10:30 a.m. 1 to 2 oz of cheese or 25 roasted, salted almonds
or 1/2 a deviled egg
1:00 p.m. 4 oz of beef kielbasa, roast turkey or chicken, or tuna
3:30 p.m. 1 oz to 2 oz of cheese or 25 roasted, salted almonds
6:30 p.m. 4 oz to 8 oz of one: london broil or chuck roast,
centercut pork chop, skinless chicken or turkey,
and
6 oz boiled, salted cabbage or brocolli with butter
or
1 large vidalia onion with 4 oz mushrooms, sauteed
in butter & garlic
or
6 oz snaps
and
1 large green salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, &
green onions
8:00 p.m. 1 large tbsp of creamy Jiff peanut butter
or
25 roasted, salted almonds
or
1 oz of cheese or 1/2 a deviled egg

Other beverages include decaf tea & coffee and lemonade made from that bottle concentrate...no sugar, we use a dash of sweetner. We tried low-carb bars but they gave us both headaches so we chucked them in the trash.

Our basic shopping list is: Fresh meats, poultry, and pork, fresh or frozen veggies (no canned veggies anymore), cheeses & nuts, and occasionally fresh fruit.

My food bill also has dropped down and that's been great!

It has not been hard to follow PP. In the beginning we were constantly looking for "the sweet snack". It's just not possible to continue with the old way so we donated our processed foods to a family member who thought we'd regret it.

Early on we found when we skipped the snacks we were hungrier at meal time. We now make sure we snacks to work. I like almonds because I can put them in a little sandwich bag in my pocket and nibble right at my desk.

It sounds boring but we enjoy it together and we chat and laugh about how much fun it is to have 5 inches of room in our shorts now.

We both have jobs where we walk a bit but we do not exercise for the sake of it. Maybe later....in a couple of months when it's cooler outside.

My first two weeks were hard because I was afraid I would fail or just not like PP. My doctor didn't think I could do it either....but I lost 18 lbs in the first 3 weeks and my blood pressure went from 140/80 to 120/66. From that point on I knew I could do it and by then my wonderful husband was hooked on all the freshly cooked food...it's been a great turning point in our lives.

I even put my 15 year old frail feline on the diet...fresh tuna and chicken for him several times a week...he's enjoying it!

Best wishes for your lifeplan.

Cheryl
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 07:36

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default lemonade

<<Other beverages include decaf tea & coffee and lemonade made from that bottle concentrate...no sugar, we use a dash of sweetner.>>

Hey, I thought I'd invented that!!

It's one of my favorite drinks -- I sput a splash of RealLemon in the bottom of a glass, add a packet of Spelnda and slosh it around. Then I fill the rest of the glass with lemon/lime selzer --

an wonderful, refreshing drink w/ NO carbs!

RA Harris
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 09:12

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan since 6/6/02
Stats: 269/209/126
BF:Unknown
Progress: 42%
Default Lemonade

The "RealLemon" brand and the house brand for Food Lion, in those little lemon-shape containers, is pretty good. What do you use? For some reason the lemon juice in the lemon-shape containers does not need refrigeration like the concentrate in bottles.

The empty green glass bottle is great for storage....I "sweeten" the lemonade and refrigerate a couple of bottles at a time for up to a few days.

It is a super drink! Yum!

Cheryl
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 21:42

Stats: 207.5/202/150
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default pp

I'm on pp. I started on the 1st of Aug. I had already lost 3 pounds, so I got a little head start. I've lost 9 pounds in 14 days. Some days I do't eat enough and on some days I've eaten pizza. I have several good receipes but still have trouble with meals on some days. I've always been a BIG bread eater and sometimes it's hard to think of a meal that doesn't center on it. I have the low-carb living cookbook and that helps.

I would love to get the receipe for the low carb pizza. Ane where do you get low carb bread. I use the tortillas from La Tortillia, but tried the garlic this time and didn't like it and I have to eat a case before I order again.

When I'm hungry or need to snack, I fall back on diet coke and almonds, or red grapes and almonds. I don't think I could get through this without the almonds.

I don't journal, at least not yet. I'm using a written one at home and struggle to remember to keep it updated.

One thing I'm sure of, I don't plan to quit. I'm tired of this weight and how terrible I feel. It wouldn't hurt to look good either.

judi
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 13:23

Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%

I switched to PP early on in my LC journey .

I was getting no where with Atkins and on the verge of giving up . That was 4 months ago . Since then , I have lost 20 Lbs .

I eat a total of 60g protein per day and occasionally I eat more from 1 oz nuts as a snack I find that I dont need to snack because I am hardly ever hungry between meals . I divide my food into 3 meals per day and my carbs are divided up as well . I eat 6 Flax muffins per day which I make , but the protein content is not significant . I eat them for their fibre and for their omega 3 oils . I also take 1 tbl flax oil daily as well as freshly ground flax in my morning shake .

I eat 25 to 30 grams carbs daily . I have limited my saturated fat intake because my cholesterol readings went up for the first time ever when I started this WOE. That is why I always remind people to have thier blood work done .

I now try to incorporate more oily fish into my food . I eat mainly fresh green leafy veggies and tiny tomatoes for colour .Occasionally I eat cabbage, or broccoli . I like olives in olive oil . Occasionally avocados too .

For fruit , I love strawberries by the cupfull , 1/2 apple occasionally.

For fats I use extra virgin olive oil frequently for vinnaigrette , for sauteeing , I use vegetable ghee or butter ghee and sometimes peanut oil .

Thats about it . When I find that my weight loss stops , I find that over a 24 hour period , a free for all seems to kick start the body into weight loss again ,and I have done this several times when I hit a stall .

I am just recovering from one such free for all

Rob