Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 13:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/131.7/132 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default Vancouver Sun Column

Hi Karen:

I loved your column on comfort foods in the Vancouver Sun.

Here's what I just emailed to Denise Ryan, the Features Editor:

"I just wanted to tell you how very much my husband and I loved Karen Barnaby's column on "Tough Cuts". I've tried her pork shoulder recipe and it was truly delicious. Her writing style with her childhood memories are quite engaging. From past experience with her recipes, I know these will be yummy and relatively easy to cook. I can hardly wait to try them. I also appreciate her list of where to eat the foods and where to buy the ingredients.

I really have begun looking forward to her monthly columns and hope you will continue them."

I was going to add the sentence, but didn't : I hope you find equally stimulating and motivating columns for the three weeks in between.

(By the way: I couldn't find the recipe for the Lamb Shanks in the Low-Carb Gourmet Book. I hope it will work without the red lentils which are probably the ingredient for contributing all those carbs.)

Cheers. Ruth
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 13:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ruth, I really appreciate your support.
Quote:
I hope you find equally stimulating and motivating columns for the three weeks in between.
You should have!

The lamb dish is from my "back burner" files. If you make it, you can add some well drained, pureed canned tomatoes for texture - instead of the lentils - and put the lentil seasoning into the lamb when you braise it. Use less total liquid (including the tomatoes); just enough to cover the shanks

The beef brisket is really good too. When I make it, I use Heinz 1 carb ketchup from the US and daikon radish in place of the potatoes and carrots.

Here's the link to the article Tough Cuts

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Wed, Mar-02-05 at 13:52.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 15:05

BF:

Thanks for the suggestions for making the recipes more low carb and for the link to the article. I'll email it to my sister in Atlanta and others I know will find it of interest.

Darn, I should have picked up some 1 carb ketchup when I was in Seattle for the Flower and Garden show. I'll get it on my trip to California in May.

Wednesday I went to Don Letendre's class at Barbara Jo's. Somewhat low carb. He made Vij's lamb popsicles; (he added a hint he got from going to see Vikram because the recipe didn't work when he made it--Stir in the cream just before serving and use fenugreek leaves chopped not the seeds ground); spicy Japanese eggplant with calamari (low carb except for the flour. I haven't had much squid and loved these); and then Korean Kim Chee Prawns with Login Berry Compote (ok-- the compote is no way low carb. Interesting flavors new to me. He served it with a salad--raw bok choy, almonds and other things) The first two recipes are in the Vancouver Cooks book. He appears to be a very genuine and pleasant person and creative --almost like you.

He showed me some of his favorite cook books--one by Moro, Guy Savoy's Simple French Recipes and then some professional books (and very expensive) --Spoon Cook book and The Culinary Chronicle. Fun to look at.

When we ate at the Moustache Cafe when he had first opened there, he let me go look at his library and recommended Michel Roux's Sauces, Flavors of the Riviera by Colman Andrews, and Food of the Sun, all of which I bought.

In the meantime, enjoy these last days of late winter. I'm planning my spring cleaning, getting ready for Easter.

I've signed up for the March 22 class and April 5. I was going to do the Halibut but it looks not enough low carb for me. I'll probably do the May ones as well.

Cheers. Ruth
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 22:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

That sounds cool.

I'm reaching a class at Tools & Techniques from Vancouver Cooks in June I think? It's going to be all Indian.

Do you mean Cuisine of the Sun? It's a great book. I've owned it since 1979. Did he show you the el Bulli cookbook?

For the ketchup, you can take a quick trip across the border.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 11:30

BF:

Good morning Karen:

I checked the book and it is Food of the Sun: A fresh look at mediterranean cooking by Alastair Little and Richard Whittington, 1995, Raincoast Book. Thanks for mentioning the el Bullie book. I'll check it out next time I'm at Barbara Jo's.

He did show me Tony Botella, Cocktail Cuisine; David Bowley, East of Paris; and Hugh Fearnly-Whittengsall, The River Cottage Cookbook.

I'm going to make your Blueberry Maple Flax Muffins this morning, except I'll use a cup of cranberries (I'm still working on a bag I didn't use at Christmas) and a cup of rough chopped almonds with skins on. I'm on maintenance so I seem to be all right with a few extras now and then. Also, I make them into mini-muffins so not so many carbs at one time. And they're "cute" looking. I freeze them and 30 seconds in the microwave heats one up just fine every morning

Have great day.

Cheers. Ruth
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 17:04

BF:
Default Muffins

I just finished baking the muffins and my kitchen smells fantastic! Better than I remember with the flax muffins. They turned out yummy. I got 3 1/2 doz. mini-muffins.

One change I made: your recipe in the book says 15-20 minutes for the flax muffins, your recipe from class (Karen's New Low Carb Breakfast..., Oct. 12/04, says 30- 40 minutes. 20 minutes worked for me (muffin shrunk away from the pan, springs back to the touch, clean toothpick and taste test.)

I have three different types of muffin tins. My newest one is a Wilson, and my oldest a Mirro, black, maybe teflon and I like both of them. The third is one on of those flexible ones and I don't like it at all.

I used to melt butter and brushed the tins, but finally took your suggestion of spraying and that works much quicker. I think any taste I lose is marginal.

Cheers. Ruth