Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default are all pastas created equal?

I was surprised to read on the labels that even wheat-based pastas had 39-41 gm carbos per serving. So even spaghetti w/wheat pasta is a no-no?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 08:13

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I would say it would be a good idea not to eat any pasta. SP is essentially a whole foods WOE that encourages avoiding refined/processed/manufactured foods - which would include whole grain pasta. Obviously, it is up to you and you can give it a try and see what happens...but still that's pretty high in carbohydrates and it depends on other factors, like serving size, learned behaviours around eating pasta (i.e. quantity, etc.)...

Good luck!

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 11:16

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%

Pasta is a food that's easy to overeat. I have enjoyed taking my favorite LC sauce recipe and loaded it with ground beef and onion. I'll fix my husband the pasta and I'll put mine over spaghetti squash.

It was much better than I expected it to be. Even leftover it was good.

Susan
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 12:18

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Spaghetti squash is great! Another option is to take a vegetable peeler and keep peeling wide strips of zucchini (stop when you start to see seeds peeking through) - fry in olive oil and garlic and serve w/ meat-laden tomato sauce.

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 12:59

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default vegetables instead of pasta

I've also just shredded zucchini in the food processor and sauteed it. You don't get long strands, but it's faster (and easier for a 3-year-old to assist me with). Green beans and broccoli also taste good with pasta sauces. Entrees that I used to serve over rice I now often serve over steamed collard greens or Swiss chard. One pasta I found that is a little lower in carbs is a lentil bean pasta. I know it sounds terrible, but my family actually couldn't tell a difference, and I thought the flavor wasn't as strong as whole wheat pasta. The low-carb pasta from Keto tastes like soggy cardboard. I was bummed because it is really high in protein.

Jen