Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 04:38

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Fat is back: introducing The Real Meal Revolution's high-fat diet

Quote:
From The Telegraph
London, UK
19 July, 2015

Fat is back: introducing The Real Meal Revolution's high-fat diet

Fat. It causes high cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart disease, right? Think again. A new cookbook explains why 'banting' - the high fat diet - can be a healthy choice

Fat, if the past year’s headlines are anything to go by, is no longer the enemy. It’s back on the menu (the trend for butter-laden Bulletproof coffee, anyone?), back in our kitchens (low-carb “fat bomb” recipes abound), and even back in the good books of US government dietary advisers.

Their report, released in May, declared eating cholesterol-rich foods has very little bearing on the amount of cholesterol in your body. If the US government adopts its advice, it could mean a reversal of the dietary information given to Americans since the 1960s. Big news if you’ve been itching for a fry-up.

Now a new book by three South Africans, the scientist and ultra-marathon-runner Professor Tim Noakes, the nutritionist Sally-Ann Creed, and the chef Jonno Proudfoot (above, left to right), is about to be published in the UK. It explains how we can load up on butter, cheese and cream, while staying healthy and – miraculously – losing weight.

The Real Meal Revolution, published here on 30 July, has become a bestseller in South Africa since it came out in 2013. Flicking through its recipes, it is easy to see why. The ingredients lists are a mouthwatering roll-call of forbidden fruits: cream cheese, Parmesan, streaky bacon, pork belly ribs, thick Greek yogurt and coconut cream. Oh, and lashings of full-fat milk.

Noakes, Creed and Proudfoot prescribe a low-carbohydrate, high-fat (LCHF) diet that is, they acknowledge, far from new. They credit the eating habits of early humans, the hunter-gatherers who ate wild animals for fat and protein but consumed few grains – a proposition familiar to anyone well-versed in the Paleo diet. But while Paleo is low on carbs, the Revolution goes even lower, and includes dairy in its eat-your-fill list – a no-no for Paleoites.

Revolution also pays tribute to a 19th-century undertaker from London who experienced such extreme weight loss that his name became synonymous with low-carb dieting. In 1862, William Banting (obese at 5ft 5in and 14˝st) eschewed the typical Victorian diet of beer, bread and potatoes, and cut out sugary, starchy carbohydrates. Within a year he lost over 3st. Banting wrote about his diet and before long “to bant”, a verb meaning “to lose weight by practising Bantingism”, had entered the Oxford English Dictionary.

For Noakes, the conversion to Bantingism came about quite unexpectedly. Emeritus professor of exercise and sports science at the University of Cape Town, Noakes had for most of his life followed the dietary advice adopted throughout most of the Western world in the late 20th century: avoid saturated fat and go big on grains and cereals.

But after reading The New Atkins for a New You, which promoted a low-carb lifestyle, Noakes took a punt and rid his diet of carbohydrates. His weight loss was so dramatic – 1st 10lb in eight weeks – and his running times so improved, that he wrote about it in a 2012 article called Against the Grains. This caught the attention of Sally-Ann Creed, a Paleo nutritionist, and Jonno Proudfoot, a chef who was training for a 285-mile swim.

The food they recommend in The Real Meal Revolution is far more palatable than Banting’s kidneys, mutton and “a rusk or two”. On the “green”, go-for-broke list are cheese and eggs, all green, leafy vegetables plus any that grow above the ground, and all meat and seafood – not to mention butter, ghee, avocado and mayonnaise. Grains, along with such high-carb foods as potatoes and rice, are off the menu, as are processed food, soya products and sugar.

What’s key, Creed writes, is that we need to “relearn what 'full’ feels like”. Proteins and fats “are rich in nutrients. They make you feel full when you are full”, hence they star in all Revolution’s recipes. By contrast, carbohydrates do not satisfy hunger, and they “illicit an insulin response […] a fat-storing hormone”. The more insulin resistant you are, the harder it is for you to process carbohydrates and, “The more you must restrict your carb intake,” Creed says.

“Low-carb, high-fat should actually be interpreted as incredibly-low-carb and don’t-worry-about-fat,” says Proudfoot. He suggests we shouldn’t feel guilty about eating tzatziki made with full-fat Greek yogurt, because it is the fat that will make us feel sated, so we don’t need to keep eating – ultimately aiding weight loss. His hot chocolate fat shake, made with coconut cream, butter and full-fat milk “is the most natural form of appetite suppressant you can get”. According to Revolution’s authors, once you have adopted their eating plan, “your cravings disappear”.

Reducing hunger pangs while losing weight is an undoubtedly desirable outcome, and the diet is recommended especially for those who suffer from high blood pressure or type 2 diabetes. But Noakes, Creed and Proudfoot also report improvements in energy levels, sleeping habits and mental focus. The nutritionist Petronella Ravenshear explains that “most people do very well on a low-carb regime and experience better energy levels.

However, for a few it doesn’t work, perhaps because the body has got so used to burning sugar or carbohydrates for energy that it simply can’t switch to burning protein or fat for fuel.” Revolution advises that people with a medical issue should consult their doctor first.

“Ultimately,” Proudfoot concludes, “you have to get comfortable with the idea that everything you thought was unhealthy, is not.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...h-fat-diet.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 06:07
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Thanks for posting this. Maybe after the brainwashed public gets their brains un-washed (or until the new brainwashing takes effect), the USA and UK can escape the obesity plague. Those of us here, of course, already know the truth. We are evidence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...h-fat-diet.html
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 08:50

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Interesting as articles like this are appearing more and more these days. Yet, the majority of nutrition advice from the medical community has not yet adjusted to this trend. As stated before, I have somewhat of a morbid curiosity to see how long this way of thinking about diet and nutrition becomes mainstream. We all know how hard it was to embrace fat consumption after having the opposite drilled into us for so long. Then there is the large group having financial interests in maintaining the opposite message including food manufacturers, pharma, the medical communnity, and Jillian Michaels and her ilk who perpetuate the message that fat can be eliminated by the physical exhaustion of calorie burning. Yes, I'm calling her out. It is going to be interesting to see how this trend evolves with all the forces at play . . .
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 08:57

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I don't know, Glenda...one can only hope. Everyone around here in my "active adult" community, artery problems and dementia notwithstanding, are committed to a butter-free, steak-free life. Because their doctors said so.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 09:00

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Then there is the large group having financial interests in maintaining the opposite message including food manufacturers, pharma, the medical communnity, . . .

Don't even get me started on this. It's a crime.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 16:48

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I edit for a publisher with authors who have expertise in diet (typically nutrition or medical degrees). Most remain versed only in the high-carb, low-calorie, low-fat dogma, and when I ask them to put some balance in their work reflecting recent research findings about fat, I get a ton of resistance. In my experience, it appears they learned the dietary dogma during their schooling, and they have a lot of difficulty moving beyond that. It is going to be slow to change because so many people are very dogmatic in their belief/understanding of dietary "wisdom." Even when I send them supporting studies, etc., it takes a lot to get them to even budge a little bit off low-fat/low-calorie. What seems intuitively obvious to me is completely not obvious and even blatantly wrong to them because that's not what they learned in school.

I recently wrote a nutrition book for a publisher, and I put a lot of information in it reflecting new understandings of diet. The publisher allowed it, but I had to have hours of discussion with my editors along with providing supporting documentation. I'm really happy they chose me as the author of the book, because had it been someone else, it would have very likely been another fat is bad, carbs are good kind of book.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-15, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I edit for a publisher with authors who have expertise in diet (typically nutrition or medical degrees). Most remain versed only in the high-carb, low-calorie, low-fat dogma, and when I ask them to put some balance in their work reflecting recent research findings about fat, I get a ton of resistance. In my experience, it appears they learned the dietary dogma during their schooling, and they have a lot of difficulty moving beyond that. It is going to be slow to change because so many people are very dogmatic in their belief/understanding of dietary "wisdom." Even when I send them supporting studies, etc., it takes a lot to get them to even budge a little bit off low-fat/low-calorie. What seems intuitively obvious to me is completely not obvious and even blatantly wrong to them because that's not what they learned in school.

I recently wrote a nutrition book for a publisher, and I put a lot of information in it reflecting new understandings of diet. The publisher allowed it, but I had to have hours of discussion with my editors along with providing supporting documentation. I'm really happy they chose me as the author of the book, because had it been someone else, it would have very likely been another fat is bad, carbs are good kind of book.

It takes a loooonnng time for people to change their thinking even with evidence supporting the change as healthy.

NW - That's great, the book is a start and efforts like that will begin to change people's beliefs. The changes are more likely be adopted by a different generation, however, as baby boomers are very educated and invested in the low fat, high carb dogma having it drilled into us for many years. Today, I still hear the comment over breakfast uttered by someone who is eating bacon and eggs that what his cardiologist doesn't know won't hurt him.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 07:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Last local support meeting a week ago, Dr Westman suggested following a Banting FB page with 140,000 members. Interesting from the perspective of how LCHF has impacted a smaller country. Today was a link to the RealMeal website and this open letter to Prof Noakes:

http://realmealrevolution.com/real-...-nico-kleynhans

[QUOTE]My Dear Prof Noakes,

Although we have met fleetingly on several occasions, I have never been able to speak from my heart. Here is a very public acknowledgement of what your vision means to me.

Banting has saved my life.

I can drive a car again. My sleep apnoea was so bad that I had to stop driving.

My breathing apparatus lies unused. I no longer wake up at night choking and struggling to get my breathing started again.

I am able to enjoy a bath again. I got stuck and it was frightening to realize that I did not have the strength to get out and others were not strong enough to lift me out.

I can walk to the jet. I do not need to be carried to it. I am grateful that I no longer need a wheelchair to get in and out of an aircraft.

I enjoy being able to get into and out of a bed. Before I had to roll over and then jump out. I could not sit up in bed. I was too heavy.

I once weighed 164 kg . Kids no longer ask their mommies if I am going to have a baby.

I no longer need a trolley to lean on at the supermarket. It seemed silly to use a trolley to buy one item.

I do not have to rest every five minutes. I can handle up to 12 km of walking in a day.

I still don’t like looking at myself in a mirror, but that will change. Eventually I will realize that mirrors are there to remind me to comb my hair.

Having my photograph taken is still a pain, but fellow banters and their mobiles are helping.

We learn to hate ourselves. It's tough to learn to love ourselves again.

I am happier. My energy levels have increased. Life has become fun again.

You are like the dream uncle every family needs.

Your vision and determination enables us to claim back our lives.

Thank You.

Nico Kleynhans
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 09:23

BF:

That letter is touching and provides a list of health improvements that deserve notice. LCHF has become a grassroots movement for many today. I first heard of the health benefits of this WOE from family, then Atkins books, then forums like this, and now from many knowledgeable people who have written books, hosted websites and supported the LC method while providing the confirmation of the many benefits of this path. When one takes the risk of applying this knowledge and experiences improvements, those experiences tend to foster the realization that this is not a temporary fix to a temporary problem. It must become a way of life.

That letter is touching in that Noakes had the courage to recant much of what he had written in the past regarding the benefits of carb loading in athletes. Many would have quietly stayed in the shadows to protect their credibility, but Tim took on the issue directly. Due to his actions, he's helped grow this grassroots community, spreading the word in a very beneficial way. I don't mean to be maudlin here by any means, but those who address their health issues directly and personally by breaking away from previous and current conventional advice to develop a WOE that works show courage, perseverance, and patience. This is not an overnight thing, as we all must adjust our approaches to find what works for better personal health during this journey.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 11:33

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

What a wonderful letter! I can relate to many of the things the writer mentioned. LCHF gave me my life back, and it is an amazing and beautiful thing.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 13:03

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.”

“Science advances one funeral at a time.”

Max Planck
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 14:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

As outlined in Taubes fantastic tome, Good Calories, Bad Calories, the Lipid Hypothesis got traction from the cataclysmic events of WWII. First, war crimes discredited the incredible work on hormones done in Germany during the 1920's and '30's, and then the lack of food in Europe allowed for conclusions to be drawn... Though they were the wrong ones.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 15:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Karen, this is completely off topic: but every time I think to look at your stats, your current weight is down a little more. Congratulations for your commitment to your WOE, and thank you for all the insightful comments you make in this forum.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-15, 09:23
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 206.5/161/155 Male 69.5"
BF:20%
Progress: 88%
Default This is encouraging

Thanks for sharing this article. I'm looking forward to reading the book. This is very encouraging and it gives me hope that the epidemic may eventually be stemmed.

This is exactly how I eat. They don't mention sweeteners and fruit in the article but I've sworn both of them off. Having reached my goal (for the most part), I really empathise with those who suffer the effects of decades of bad science.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-15, 18:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
However, for a few it doesn’t work, perhaps because the body has got so used to burning sugar or carbohydrates for energy that it simply can’t switch to burning protein or fat for fuel.

I really hope they didn't say this otherwise they are guilty of the same hocus pocus their detractors are.