Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, May-06-19, 16:39

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Insulin resistant fat, formed by consumption of high glycemic carbs including too much sugar. Yes, if you live in the dark ages and still think humans form fat from eating fatty meat, it might mean something to you. However, that process has been refuted if the meat isn't accompanied by carbs, so BarnYard's rationale has no anchor. My keto n=1 resulted in much fat including visceral fat eliminated. Maybe I wasn't doing keto correctly????
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, May-06-19, 19:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

For me this is a real problem for vegan ethics. Animals dying to farm soy for people to eat doesn't pose a significant problem that I can see--because, personally, since not all the meat I eat is going to be grassfed, and the animals I eat are going to be eating more corn and soy than I ever could, whatever the result of my eating corn and soy would be in the deaths of various wildlife is going to be multiplied by my diet choice. That's just true. But my eating a high carb, plant based diet would cause not just the death of some animals, if a smaller number of said animals, but also a more painful, and probably briefer and certainly less enjoyable life for me, and for a lot of people like me. Some folk like to frame it as, people are harming animals to live in a way that's also hurting the person, it's neat that way, and a cleaner ethical problem. It's just not true. Some animals are sacrificed for my well being, and for the well being of many people that I care about. I think I and they are worth that sacrifice.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, May-06-19, 19:28

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm a veteran as were my older brother and my next younger bothers. 17 years ago I was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic. My physician convinced me to switch from following a very low-fat eating plan to Atkins. My brothers were diagnosed with diabetes and went on the ADA recommended eating plan. Both my brothers died from diabetes-related heart attacks. I am now over seven years older than either of them were when they died. My recent blood tests show me to be very healthy (my physician rated my test results as an A). I am convinced that both brothers would be alive today if they had gone on low-carb eating plans and that if I had done the ADA diet I would be dead.
Bernard is a quack.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, May-07-19, 05:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Oh Mike, how sad for you. The ADA advice is a tragedy. It is my perspective but reading the first sentence "Currently, VA offers medical care including diet counseling, weight loss programs, and blood glucose monitoring for the 1.5 million Veterans enrolled in VA health care who have Type 2 diabetes." ...my reaction was "And how's that been working for you?" Likely VA would not be spending money to use Virta Health services for a Pilot Study if they had actually cured those 1.5 million diabetics! :roll eyes:

But maybe you know Vets who are still following ADA, have high HbA1c and need to lose weight?
Posting this on the LC forums where I hang out will not help find the 400 vets who would most benefit from this Pilot Study. My on-line buddies are already LC and often well-controlled or have reversed their diabetes.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, May-07-19, 05:40

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Mike, that is a woeful report. If only your experience could have "scientific" support. So many people would live longer and better lives. I'm glad you are!
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-19, 18:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

More exciting two year results from Virta

New Virta research: sustainable diabetes reversal results lasting 2 years

https://blog.virtahealth.com/2yr-t2...sustainability/

New Virta Health Results Show Sustained Type 2 Diabetes Reversal at Two Years and Continued Reduction of Insulin

https://blog.virtahealth.com/t2d-outcomes-trial-2yr/