Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 00:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/166/125
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default New to this!

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself! I have been on this diet *Atkins* for about 5 days. First thing that comes to mind is... OUCH! I had a particularly rough first couple of days but things have started to perk up. I love pasta, chips, chocolate, Mountain Dew, (pretty much anything carby) so this whole carb. cutting thing was hard! But when I first saw the pounds start to melt away, I was way too excited and had to keep going!
I know it will be a challenge at first but am hoping to keep up the will power! I do have a few questions though...
First, I have seen at the stores a supplement called Carb Cutter and was wondering if anyone has used it and what they thought of it or if you would recommend any other supplements.
Second, what about the "cravings"- chocolate, chips, etc. What do you guys do when you get them? It takes a lot of will power for me to avoid them- and it has only been 5 days!!

Thanks for any future replies and Good Luck to all!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 02:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet Revolution Induction Programme
Stats: 251/233/140
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default hello

Hi - thought I would stop by and say hello

I have been on Atkins since September 15th but stopped due to a bereavement. Couldn't cope with a diet and everything else.

I have been back on 'the wagon' since the 10th of this month. I had only gained 1 pound. So seeing that and coming back to the forums has really helped.

I just wanted to say hello and stick with it

I live in England and haven't heard of Carb Cutter - but if my memory serves me well I do believe I have seen something about it around here - so if I can find the thread again I will let you know.

Atkins seems to think that cravings will go away. Personally though I think that as we have all grown up on high carb diets it's going to be jolly hard to get rid of ALL the cravings.

I find that recipes here can help a great deal with giving alternatives. There are so many new things to try and all round tips on what to do when the Carbo Monster decides that you are his next victim! For sweet cravings I like the Cool Cookies. I have been munching on low carb choc but I have just been told that they may have hidden carbs so I'm off to check that out too.

I also indulge myself in hard boiled eggs with a dollop of mayo - simply because I can't believe that I have found a diet that lets you have dollops of mayo - and it feels so naughty. I also eat pork scratchlings (I think you call them 'pork rinds') if I have a savoury craving - but I don't like to eat too much salt so I don't stuff myself silly with them.

Anyway - I hope you continue to do really well and good luck to you. I have enjoyed myself so much here that its hard to stop putting my little comments or 2 penneth (cents!) wherever I look.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 08:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: New to this!

Quote:
Originally posted by poochimama
what about the "cravings"- chocolate, chips, etc. What do you guys do when you get them? It takes a lot of will power for me to avoid them- and it has only been 5 days!!

Welcome to the forum, Poochimama. IMHO, this is a great site for information, recipes and support

I cant help you with the carb cutter product, but I can tell you that those cravings will subside with time. As your brain gets used to the idea its not going to be getting that serotonin high from tonnes o carbs things will settle down. You really are going through a form of withdrawal. When you feel particularly vulnurable be sure you eat something low carb to squash the craving and desire for something carby. And be sure to eat if you're hungry.

It will get better soon, eventually those cravings will disappear.... you may even come to find that the smell of something you used to love will turn you off. This happened to me with popcorn shortly after I started.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 11:38

Plan: LC
Stats: 193/159.9/125 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Poochimama,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new woe... I haven't heard of the " carb cutter" but during the 7 months that I've been low carbing I learned that I need to take my vitamins and other supplements.

Are you taking any supplement?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 11:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/166/125
BF:
Progress: 18%

I want to say thanks for the replies!

I haven't been taking any supplements besides a multivitamin... should I be taking anything else?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 12:06

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default carb cutter

Hi! and welcome.

I have looked at products like carb cutter, and at that specific product. I think it's a little *gimmicy*. I didn't see anything in the ingredients that make me want to take it. It's a little pricey too.

One good rule of thumb that I've learned here is that if the majority of people here haven't heard of it or don't use it, it is probably not a great thing.

Good luck, and welcome again!!
Brenda