Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 08:58

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%
Question sourdough bread

You know how there is a belief that fermented foods contain less carbs than regular foods eg: yoghurt actually has 4 grams per 1/2 cup? according to lowcarbluxury.com

Well I was wondering if anyone could throw some light on sourdough bread and say something about the carbs in it .

I was an avid sourdough bread maker in my low fat days and would love to try it again in limited quantities .

Rob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 19:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lactic acid is present in sourdough bread, same as yogurt. But, I suspect the chemistry may be a little different. Someone else may have the answer.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 21:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Alas, the fermenting occurs in the starter, wherein the beasties do SOME conversion of complex carbohydrates to lactic acid... but as a former sourdough baker, Rob, surely you have an idea of what a SMALL proportion of the loaf is the sourdough starter.

The sourdough's distinct flavour (from the lactic acid) is a mere sideshow to the gas bubble producing and leavening main action of the starter in sourdough breads (so the carbs remain intact in the remainder of the ingredients).

There's a few very good and detailed items about the composition and making (fermenting) of yogurts and cheeses in the Health::Candida (if I remember correctly) Forum.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 14:02

Judi ,

thanks for answering . As you know there is more than one way of making sour dough ; there is the method that uses a wild starter as well as a quick rise with commercial yeast which I believe is the way that most bakeries make sourdough bread because it guarantees a uniform loaf .

Then there is the other way that I use , which is the traditional European way of using a starter and then continuing with a lengthly additional fermentation over 36 hours so that in fact the whole thing ends up as one huge starter from which you take a small piece and begin the culture again .

So in fact I think that the yeast and bacteria in traditional sourdough bread do eat up most of the carbs . Correct

Rob
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 17:24
Registered Member

Quote:
So in fact I think that the yeast and bacteria in traditional sourdough bread do eat up most of the carbs . Correct?

Well, probably not...

In yogurt, there's a limited amount of carbs of lactose, a relatively simple sugar, to start with (say, 12g or so in 500mL of 'whole' milk, or thereabouts). Those very few carbs produce plenty of yogurt, and Dr. Goldberg (see http://www.go-diet.com), the only known lab-tester of the actual produced yogurt rather than the usual method of carb-count-by-difference, estimates half the carbs are consumed in the normal process of fermentation to completion.

In flour, loaded with complex carbs (starches), etc., the likelihood of all or even a majority of carbs being consumed infers only, say, fiber would be left. I find it hard to believe even traditional sourdough is composed mostly of fiber carbs.

Here is an excerpt from the USDA database for Std Reference re food values on French or Vienna Bread (no clear entries for traditional sourdough, sorry!). French or Vienna is traditionally made 'straight' with very little in the way of added stuff, like sugar.

Bread, french or vienna (includes sourdough)
Nutrient Units Value per 100 grams of edible portion:
Proximates
Water g 34.30
Energy kcal 274
Energy kj 1146
Protein g 8.80
Total lipid (fat) g 3.00
Ash g 2.00
{total} Carbohydrate{s}, by difference g 51.90
Fiber, total dietary g 3.0

Not to say that I don't think the traditional sourdough is better; I DO, at the very least because I believe the lactic acid is excellent in the GI system , but yogurt and traditional sauerkraut are my methods of high choice and low {carb} risk for getting it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 14:06

Judi ,

I thought you might be intersested in this link I found about nutrients in sourdough

Rob
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and Eades
Stats: 132/115/110
BF:
Progress: 77%

Great link Rob. I I love sourdough bread.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 14:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264.5/161/154
BF:
Progress: 94%

What's the thought of using sourdough starter, then adding LC flours to bake the bread?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 16:13

Plan: Atkins, Perricone, my own
Stats: 157/144/120 Female 5 feet 1 1/2 inches
BF:do/nt/no
Progress: 35%

There are some commercially made low carb breads, but I have not found any that are willing to SHIP outside of their area. I wouldn't mind trying that. Anyone know of any mail order sources?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 16:54

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i saw an overnight starter that didn't call for sugar at all and only one cup of flour. i don't really understand the process, so would it be impossible to make a starter using a zero carb bake mix or reduced carb flour? and then to use those same products to finish off the loaf?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 11:14
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
i saw an overnight starter that didn't call for sugar at all and only one cup of flour. i don't really understand the process, so would it be impossible to make a starter using a zero carb bake mix or reduced carb flour? and then to use those same products to finish off the loaf?

The problem is the same as with yogurt. What happens is the starter will eat the sugar and ferment. If there is no sugar, the bacteria has nothing to eat. If the starter doesn't call for any sugar, then there is a chance it already has some in it. I would email the company and find out exactly how thiers does work.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 14:06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
The problem is the same as with yogurt. What happens is the starter will eat the sugar and ferment. If there is no sugar, the bacteria has nothing to eat. If the starter doesn't call for any sugar, then there is a chance it already has some in it. I would email the company and find out exactly how thiers does work.

According to commercial and professional bakers, yeast (and that includes 'starter') actually don't need added sugars, they eat the carbs in the starches. Sugar is added to recipes for speed.

That being said, they still gotta eat SOMETHING, so some starch will be needed to make sourdough.

I believe there's SOME info on sourdough baking with JenaMarie's flour blend that includes SOME regular flour.

Google on "JenaMarie low carb flour" and you'll get her site (I don't have it here).
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/146/140 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 83%

I've been growing a sourdough starter in hopes of making a decent sourdough bread for my family since I've been reading a bit on the benefits of fermented foods especially the Nourishing Traditions book.

My sourdough starter is pretty much 'authentic' in that I started with 1 cup of organic whole wheat flour and 1 cup room temp bottled water. I've been feeding almost daily and its been growing like crazy.

So far, I've made my family sourdough pancakes when I have to dispose of a good cup or so of starter before I feed it again.

This morning I made some blueberry sourdough pancakes with 2 cups of starter and 1 cup of Atkins baking mix. Dh couldn't even tell the difference between mine and the 'regular' variety

I'm really on the search for carb counts on fermented flour. Under the SCD, the home made yogurt recipe has a 24 fermentation period and after 24 hours there isn't a trace of lactose left. I wonder if after my sourdough starter 'dies' if there are starches left? I do have to feed it after 48 hours or it will go dormant...