Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 07:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Weary of fads? March to G.I."

Weary of fads? March to G.I.

February 6, 2004, BY SARA FIEDELHOLTZ Staff Reporter Advertisement

http://www.suntimes.com/output/life...r-gidiet06.html

Atkins, the Zone, South Beach, Weight Watchers, and Jenny Craig: There probably isn't a diet you don't know about (or haven't tried.) But according to Rick Gallop, author of The G.I.: Glycemic Index Diet (Workman, $18.95), these types of programs don't work long-term for many people.

"Anyone can lose weight on a fad diet, but the difficulty is maintaining the weight loss,'' Gallop says. "People fail on diets for two reasons: One, they feel hungry and food-deprived. Two, the diets are too complicated."

According to Gallop, our obsession with the latest diet is because of a fundamental misunderstanding. "Diet really means a way of eating. When people are eating to lose weight that is the weight-loss phase. After they've been successful, they then create a diet that allows them to maintain the loss," he adds.

We got the lowdown from Gallop on his addition to the well-fueled diet book industry.

Q. What is the Glycemic Index (G.I.)?

A. It is the relationship between food and the speed at which your body breaks it down, converting it into energy. The faster the body absorbs the food, the higher the G.I. Index. If you eat foods that break down slowly, you can lose weight without going hungry.

Q. What are some examples of food with high and low glycemic indexes?

A. Low G.I. foods include most fruits and vegetables, grains, low-fat dairy and nuts.

High G.I. foods include items that are processed --doughnuts, granola bars, white bread, fruit juices and sweetened juices. You should definitely stay away from anything processed ... anything that comes from a manufacturer. It is always better to eat the fruit than drink the juice.

Q. But this isn't a new way of dieting.

A. Correct. The idea of thinking about eating foods by the way they break down in the body was discovered in 1980 by Dr. David Jenkins. Dr. Barry Sears incorporated the G.I. index with his food blocks to create the Zone diet.

Q. So how is your book different?

A. The key principle to creating a diet is to keep it simple. The Zone is just too complicated. I've used a simple color coding system using the traffic light. Green foods, eat as much as you want; yellow foods, be a bit more cautious; and red foods, stay away from.

Q. When you say eat as much as you want, isn't that part of the problem? People in the United have portion distortion. Is it really enough to just eat certain foods while avoiding others?

A. No, you need to use moderation. We are definitely a supersize society. The way you need to think of the G.I. diet is as a dinner plate. Dish out enough vegetables to cover 50 percent of your plate, enough meat, poultry or fish to cover 25 percent and enough, rice, pasta, or potatoes to cover the remaining 25 percent. But don't break the rules by piling the food too high.

Q. Why do you think the general population is getting fatter?

A. It is because we are eating so much more processed foods. We have a supersize mentality. It is because food is viewed as a commodity. It really doesn't cost the fast-food chain [much] to super-size your meal, but you think you're getting a deal.

Q. What are your three key suggestions to weight loss and lifelong healthful eating?

A. One, understand the G.I. principles. Two, look at and control your portions. Three, get all the red foods out of the house so you won't be tempted.

Q. What about exercise?

A. Exercise is definitely essential to maintaining the weight loss. If you stick to the diet, you will lose the weight. But absolutely, exercise is essential to maintaining your new weight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 08:14

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Weary of fads? Try this new fad, just invented in 1980. . .

And put pasta, rice, and potatoes on our plate.

Sheesh.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It's a balanced diet. Works for a lot of people.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 08:50

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

my guess is that this approach is a big improvement over a typical persons ordinary everyday diet... looks like it cuts your carbs down to Zone levels, more or less.

A lot of folks argue that Atkins got it wrong with the idea that the level of carbs is a controlling factor - it might not make much difference if your carbs are at 20 a day versus 100 a day, the important thing is that they are not 300 a day...

I dont know whats what, but I do know in my case, I stopped losing weight at a certain point no matter how few carbs I ate, so there was no way to find my CCL or whatever its called. The only way I think I can lose any more weight is controlling calories, not carbs...

and maybe drinking less beer, ha haa
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins maintenance
Stats: 112/112/112 Female 5'5"
BF:20%
Progress:
Default controlling calories as well as carbs

"I dont know whats what, but I do know in my case, I stopped losing weight at a certain point no matter how few carbs I ate, so there was no way to find my CCL or whatever its called. The only way I think I can lose any more weight is controlling calories, not carbs..."

I have been limiting carbs entirely for the health benefits. I have found that I can easily gain weight unless I carefully watch the calories...even with minimal carbs. Just my experience. Judging from some posts I've read, the closer to goal weight you are, the less metabolic advantage from fat-burning ketosis. I know most interest in low carbing comes from the weight loss aspect but in my mind the health benefit (especially on age-related disease) of lower insulin release is phenomenal. I also feel certain supplements can drastically reduce risk of age related diseases....Dr. Atkins Age-Defying book changed my life.

I plan to be enjoying life... traveling and dancing when I'm 100 (and visiting friends in the nursing home). I am convinced changes in diet determine how you age.

Last edited by newdawn : Fri, Feb-06-04 at 09:41.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 08:26

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 288/217.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Walt
Weary of fads? Try this new fad, just invented in 1980. . .
And put pasta, rice, and potatoes on our plate.
Sheesh.

Hi K Walt. I can only speak for myself ... but it's no fad diet as far as I'm concerned. Low carbing was just another yo-yo dieting experience for me. I lost weight on low carb plans but it always came right back because I couldn't live without bread, pasta and cereal. Now I don't have to. This is finally a way I can eat sensibly for life and still lose weight. My husband and I are both losing weight by eating low GI foods and never feel deprived ... we DO eat Pasta, all the time. Rice is not a low GI food ... there are some kinds that are moderate, but we just don't eat rice. Potatoes we have once in a while, but they are new potatoes or better yet sweet potatoes ... much lower GI than regular. I don't see it as a fad when I've lost over 54 pounds to date. I lose at a steady rate of 2-2.5 pounds per week, which I think is a healthy rate. And believe me, I eat lots of carbs now ... just the right ones.

Anna
288 / 233.5 / 130
54.5 Pounds Gone using Low G.I.

My favorite Low G.I. Recipes
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 09:15

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic
Stats: 245/167/180 Male 71.5
BF:30%/11.4%/9%
Progress: 120%

Low G.I. works well..Just because high carb foods like rice, pasta and potatos are ate, does not mean they are bad for you.

Before doing Atkins, I was doing a VLC (very low calorie) diet and it sucked. Then I read up on the Glycemic Index and learned what foods would make me hungry and which one wouldnt. The diet suddenly got very easy because I was no longer hungry, and in some cases, eating less.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 19:59

BF:

Wow ... what amazing progress you've made! Congratulations on MORE than meeting your goal!

Anna
288 / 233.5 / 130

My favorite Low G.I. Recipes
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 20:59

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
It really doesn't cost the fast-food chain [much] to super-size your meal, but you think you're getting a deal.

And when you say no thanks, you'll take the small size, they actually get annoyed with you. Go figure!

Quote:
Weary of fads? March to G.I.

And if Low-carb is a fad, so is GI, even more so because it truly is young, whereas low-carbing has been around "forever."

I low-carb for the health benefits, I have reduced my calorie intake to lose weight. When I have reached my optimum weight, I'll go back to simple low-carbing. It's a lot easier than any GI system I've seen. Besides, low-carbing uncovered some food allergies I didn't know I had. I will never eat wheat or corn again, unless I forget like I did recently when I had some popcorn and paid the rest of the day, yuck! And besides, when I'm honest with myself, I don't really even like starches.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 22:14
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

That probably would work fine for the average individual with a minor or no weight problem. If you have symptoms of a tolerance issue with sugar (diabetes, hypoglycemia, other types of IGT, PCOS, morbid obesity, "apple shape"), which by the way describe a large percentage of obese people, it isn't enough.

For me, low glycemic alone would be helpful, but it's not enough. I do the best on pretty low carb actually.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 22:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreddy
my guess is that this approach is a big improvement over a typical persons ordinary everyday diet... looks like it cuts your carbs down to Zone levels, more or less.

A lot of folks argue that Atkins got it wrong with the idea that the level of carbs is a controlling factor - it might not make much difference if your carbs are at 20 a day versus 100 a day, the important thing is that they are not 300 a day...

I dont know whats what, but I do know in my case, I stopped losing weight at a certain point no matter how few carbs I ate, so there was no way to find my CCL or whatever its called. The only way I think I can lose any more weight is controlling calories, not carbs...

and maybe drinking less beer, ha haa

I think the key is controlling for both carbs AND calories. I think carbs and calories are both independent factors which affect weight balance. The more sugar sensitive you are, the more carbs matter. When carbs are too high it is possible to not lose weight even though you *should* be making deficits. But then on the other hand, when calories are too high, even though carbs are low, you will also not lose.

Everyone needs to find a balance between carbs & cals that works for them. Some lucky people don't even need to worry about cals, and some don't need to worry about carbs, but I think you'll find all people need to control at least one of those variables to lose weight & maintain it. Very few people need to worry about not eating too much protein or fat. The calories from protein and fat, yes these could cause problems... but protein and fat themselves? No, not like with carbs. Carbs, independent of their caloric value, tend to promote weight storage and gain.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 07:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
That probably would work fine for the average individual with a minor or no weight problem. If you have symptoms of a tolerance issue with sugar (diabetes, hypoglycemia, other types of IGT, PCOS, morbid obesity, "apple shape"), which by the way describe a large percentage of obese people, it isn't enough.

Actually, I do have PCOS and am obese with an apple shape. Low GI is working great for me. In fact several of the newest books out on PCOS recommend Low GI. Everyone is different, and I think because it's new, people are skeptical. It's the easiest way of eating I've ever followed, way better for me than any low carb plan I've ever tried. And it's something I can do for life. Maybe some of you can go without bread, cereal and pasta for life. I can't. More importantly, I know that I won't. Which means that when I lose weight on a low carb plan, as I have several times, it's guaranteed to come back when I start eating carbs again, which I will.

NOW I can eat carbs. They just have to be the right ones. It's so easy I follow it without even thinking, and I'm NOT "on a diet." I've changed how I eat ... from now on. I love Low GI because it works.

Anna
288 / 233.5 / 130
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 09:56
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
More importantly, I know that I won't. Which means that when I lose weight on a low carb plan, as I have several times, it's guaranteed to come back when I start eating carbs again, which I will.

I think your self-awareness and practical, long-term approach are the best keys you have to successful weight loss, Anna. I don't know anything about this specific diet (though I am familiar with the glycemic index), but obviously it's working for you. That's great.

I agree with mrfreddy that the plate portions described in the article would be a huge improvement for most Americans. In my house growing up, the starches were always the main attraction because they were the cheapest thing on our plates. Mom gave us a lot so that we'd fill up. (We always had veggies too, but our meat portions were small or sometimes absent.) A favorite breakfast treat was leftover rice with milk and cinnamon and sugar. Like a cross between cold cereal and rice pudding, I guess. That type of thing may be a low-carber's nightmare, but I think it's common for many poor families.

Last edited by RosaAlta : Mon, Jun-14-04 at 09:57. Reason: User error
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 10:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Personally, I believe that a combination of these two woe will be the 'wave of the future' as the BB's and GenX people age. I took care of three Type II diabetics last night, none of them have any clue as to the proper types of food for them.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 11:24
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topangasun
Actually, I do have PCOS and am obese with an apple shape. Low GI is working great for me. In fact several of the newest books out on PCOS recommend Low GI. Everyone is different, and I think because it's new, people are skeptical. It's the easiest way of eating I've ever followed, way better for me than any low carb plan I've ever tried. And it's something I can do for life. Maybe some of you can go without bread, cereal and pasta for life. I can't. More importantly, I know that I won't. Which means that when I lose weight on a low carb plan, as I have several times, it's guaranteed to come back when I start eating carbs again, which I will.

NOW I can eat carbs. They just have to be the right ones. It's so easy I follow it without even thinking, and I'm NOT "on a diet." I've changed how I eat ... from now on. I love Low GI because it works.

Anna
288 / 233.5 / 130

Hi Anna,
I am glad to hear that low GI alone has been successful for you thus far. I never tried to say that one with obvious sugar metabolism problems could lose weight ONLY on a very low glycemic load diet (i.e. low carb), I was only saying that such programs are the very best for people with these problems. I have no doubt that eating to the GI would have helped me shed pounds. What I doubt is that it alone would have allowed me to get to the low weight I am currently at with very low carb.

Of course, if you can't stick to very low carb, than how well it works or doesn't work is meaningless. Even if you could get thinner on very low carb than you can on low GI, what difference does it make if you can't maintain it? Ultimately we should all do what works AND what we can live with. Personally, I could care less if I never eat flavourless bland chewy starch ever again. I mean, ideally I would like to enjoy rice from time to time (I can already eat pasta, thank you dreamfields), and a nice crusty croissant or garlic bread or deep dish sicilian pizza sounds delish... but to me being thin and healthy is way better than eating those things. I have very little temptation to stray from plan, and when I do I can control myself to just one or two bites.

So obviously low carb is working for me, and low gi is working for you... here's to good health .