Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 19:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/ultra low carb
Stats: 265/202/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Another newbie question!

I just sat down with both the CAD and CALP books to view the differences in the basic eating plans in an effort to decide once and for all which plan will be my choice for my family and I. I am really leaning toward the CALP way although it sounds to me like the salad is the only defining difference in the two. I can't see what difference that one dish will make other than to fill you up more and leave less room in the tummy for the reward carb items.
There in lies my question - on looking at the sample menus, they suggest salad, soup (one cup of each, I assume) and then 1/3 protein, 1/3 good carb and 1/3 reward carbs to include your bread, pasta or potato and dessert. Seems to me that in order to add in that 1/3 reward carb amount of three items (if that is what you choose) you either won't get much of the other two items (protein and good carb) or you have to eat a heck of alot of them to get a decent size portion of the reward carb items. Am I interpreting this right?

Hope I am not coming off as sounding like I am nit picking this to death, I am just a very detail oriented person and I surely want to do this correctly.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Jacque
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 21:31
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

You're interpreting it correctly. However, some people balance the meal but don't include dessert in the balance. Each person has to find his/her own balance in light of body chemistry, sensitivities, activity levels. If you eat all the foods suggested, you do get pretty full before you get to dessert. Therefore, dessert is usually a reasonable portion not the extra large size we would normally go for.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 14:54

Plan: Atkins to CALP to general LC + BFL
Stats: 188/174/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

I second what Zuleika has said. Usually by the time I get to dessert, I'm too full to enjoy anything heavy. On the plus side, fruit almost always sounds and tastes great to me and is probably the healthiest choice by far. I was just at the grocery and picked up a container of freshly cut mixed fruit--can't wait until tonight!

Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 15:07

Plan: Atkins---> CAD!
Stats: 126/116/116
BF:
Progress: 100%

When I first began CAD, I was careful to make sure that my 1/3 of high carb, was the exact amount as the other 1/3s. I would have to either choose to have a potato (or rice..etc), or dessert; which consisted of a cup of ice cream, or a fruit. However as I started to alter my low carb diet, I discovered that my body does allow more high carb than the 1/3, without "messing" up my low carbing. So now I do have an extra something other than the 1/3 of high carb allowed. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that I only have 2 meals a day (a CM lunch, and RM meal), and/or the fact that I drink a LOT of water during the day. So my best advice Jacque, is to begin with an strict RM meal, and work your way through it, until you start experimenting a bit, and listen to your body! because afterall your body is a better manual than the book! But it's essential that you get started with your low carb plan of choice =D. Good luck!