Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 03:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default on mcdonalds / burger kings

what do you guys eat on mcdonalds / burger kings and other fast food? i eat chicken nuggets on mcdonalds... anyone here removing buns and eating only the burger at those places?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 03:13

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Talking I confess

I go to Burger King about once a week, and I have the bacon double cheeseburger. Without the bun, naturally! I just make a stop at the garbage cans on the way to the table to divest my sandwich of its bread. I use the wrapper to keep all the stuff from getting everywhere. The BKs here let you sub a salad for the fries in a value meal, which I wish more places would do.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 03:32
Registered Member

BF:

i'm having trouble doing that... throwing buns to the garbage can because i live in 3rd world country where you see beggars standing outside mcdonalds asking for food.

our burger king here don't have salad...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 07:25

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

i think i will have mustard noses whenever i dig into a mac or BK burger. usually people will see a huge lump of leftover wrapped on my tray....they will most prob know its the bun that i've decided not to eat it.

usually for convenience i'll order a pkt of 6 piece nuggets...but i'll get sick of it .....

my favourite one : purchase a whole bbq chicken from the bbq section at supermarkets....usually after i finish off 2 chicken legs i will be satisfied. at times i can finish 3/4 of a whole chicken at one sitting...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 07:29

Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

I can see where that situation makes it feel wrong to throw away the buns - and offering just the bread to the the beggars our front would probably be kind of insulting, too.

Do watch the nuggets, don't have the exact number on top of my head, but they are pretty high in carbs - they are breaded and might contain fillers, too. I know they've been mentioned here before.

I don't go to these places very often, but when I do, I usually get 2 or 3 of whatever burger is on sale and toss the bun - other than any kind of breaded chicken or fish filet burger, that is.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

We give the buns to the birds. My daughter enjoys that part of it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 09:50
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

FYI - on their site a 4 piece of chicken tenders (at BK) is 10 carbs - and that is with no sauce. Burgers and bacon burgers w/ no ketsup or roll have 0. Cheese has 1 per slice. As always, it is up to you what you choose to eat.

Jtan... I don't know what I would do in your situation. I have such empathy for the hungry faces you see everyday.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:00

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

jtan,
I don't know how easy it would be to effect a change, but let the manager at Burger King know that you would like them to offer salads on the menu. If enough people request salad, maybe they would change the menu. I let my son have the chicken nuggets in place of fries. But I always eat a chicken cesar salad, or something like that. I have had the burger, without the bun. I've even ordered it without the bun...but that doesn't work because they gave me JUST the meat. No lettuce, tomato...nothing. How boring is that? So, now I will order a burger, or the broiled chicken sandwich, and then toss the bun.

Victoria
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 17:34

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Thumbs up Hamburgers no bun

Well, I have mastered to toss the top bun, then use the bottom one just like a little plate, slowly sliding the burger and trimmings over to the edge after each bit, works great.
But just remember to ask for only Mayo on them, some of the sauces can be deceiving.

Cheers Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 18:44

Stats: 225/182/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Couldn't resist this thread!

I ask for two of whatever burger is a buck, usually the Whopper or the Big and Tasty. I ask for it with extra mayo and onion and no bun. Sometimes, they act like this is a common request, but if they look at me like I have two heads, I just say, "If you could just put both burger patties in one container and add all the stuff on top and wrap or put a top on it, I would really appreciate it!" And I give them a big grateful smile out of my skinny face, and they do it! I'm lucky. There's a BK down the street that I go to every Wed. and the kid that works up front asked me why I didn't eat the bun. I told him it was my Low Carb diet and he said, "Yeah, that's usually the reason why we have extra buns, but don't worry, I'm used to it because my mom's allergic to gluten.". He's so sweet to me! He even puts my burger patties in the salad containers so I can cut the meat a bit easier! I go there because it's fast and easy and they're so nice!!

Other than that, I get a salad and bring my own dressing, because they've all turned traitor and gone Low Fat!!

Amber
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 20:29

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

It just ain't worth it to me. When I first started LC, I had a hamburger at Wendy's without the bun. Never realized until then just how thin those burgers are. And without fries, it was a pretty boring meal.

I tried MacDonals salads, (mostly lettuce), but they only have low cal dressings. No matter what I said, I couldn't convince the server that I wanted the "fattening" salad dressing.

The only fast food place I've been in since is The Wing Machine, they're pretty good, and there's no breading on their wings.

judy
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 06:35

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 230/221/165
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default No Buns...

My friend and I also ask for the $1 burger without a bun, in a box. Sausage, egg and cheese things for breakfast too!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 08:49
Registered Member

BF:

i'm thinking of getting a pet, a cavy (guinea pig) to give him all the rice/bread i get from fast food... you think that gonna be a good idea....
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 10:25

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I had lots of guinea pigs (caveys) when I was a kid & never knew them to eat bread ... if I remember correctly they like alfalfa grass and vegetables. is it healthy to feed them bread?

regarding fast food, I only eat it when I have no other option. I usually go to Wendy's because they are the only ones with tolerable unsweet iced tea. The burger with no bun is small, but to my surprise it fills me up.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:38
Registered Member

Stats: 268.5/262/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

It's been posted on these boards before, but for those that don't know, In-N-Out is extremely accomodating for LCers. You can order a burger "protien style" and they will wrap it in lettuce leaves instead of a bun...absolutely delicious! Just make sure that you order it without any of the condiments. At first I thought it would be nasty to have a burger without the condiments, but then I remembered that the only real reason I always wanted them was so the bread wasn't dry. LOL

About the guinea pigs...I used to have them when I was a teenager and I never knew them to eat bread. I don't really think it would be all that healthy for them, as the bread would be processed and not anything they would eat in the wild. The less processed, the better. Ours loved bunches of parsley, the tops of carrots, and tomatoes....but they loved the parsley so much they would squeal when they smelled it!