Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 06:57

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default shouldnt complain..getting rid of clothes..

I knowwww I shouldnt complain but is anyone else cringing to get rid of clothes that are too big?! I have pairs of American Eage $40 jeans I wore 2x and there is no possible way for me to keep them now, theyre huge!! And then theres my black Express $60 pants Ive had for so long and just LOVE LOVE LOVE, and Ive been shopping everywhere and cant find a pair as nice. Im taking it all to a Teens Only consignment shop so at least Ill get SOME money. The lady in there laughs at me cuz I bring in 2 pieces of clothing a week cuz I cant stand getting rid of the stuff so Im doing it slowly. Anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 22:37
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Heck, I'm pretty popular at work right now because there are so many that are my old size and they all want to pick over the bags of professional quality clothes I bring in. Some I hadn't even worn yet because I bought them off season last year. Beautiful sweaters, skirts, suits, etc. I subtly let those who really need it pick first. What I haven't been able to give up is my brand new leather coat. I had finally broken down and bought myself a nice one for Christmas last year and wore it three times. I spent too much to give that away to a co-worker!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 22:41

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

wow i love the consignment shops around here... i thought i was the only havin a rought time gettin rid of expensive stuff though... and EBAY is another way to get rid of stuff and make some money

when i get down about gettin rid of stuff i think about all the sexy new stuff i will buy soon
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 23:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I am glad to see mine go but I have a closet full of small sizes to look forward to getting back into!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 01:37

Stats: 285.4/278.2/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 6%

Same here...I bought 2 pairs slacks about 6 weeks ago, not thinking I'd shrink at the rate I have been...had to give 'em to my sis.

The rest of my old clothes (and, believe me, there were ALOT), like Neener, go to any of my employees who either can wear them themselves or know someone who can. I know I gave alot of money for them, but I'm glad to give them those who need them and can't afford any better.

Just my two-cents worth.

Sherry
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 08:49

BF:

Youre all right and it feels good to give things to people who need it. The $$$ is such an issue especially cuz Im workin my butt off now to pay for college/insurance...BUT..it could be alot worse!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 12:08
Whoosh me baby!

Sherry,
As a side effect, it's a good reminder of how you used to look when you see co-workers in your fat clothes-and not want to go back to it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 13:59

Plan: The Zone-as much as I can
Stats: 231/165/175 Female 5ft9in
BF:?,33+/24.2/22
Progress: 118%

I have a hard time getting rid of anything. I keep thinking of all of the money I spent. I have a pile of clothes that I am "spiffy-ing up" to take to a resale shop. My clothes shaver is getting a workout. I am wearing a pair of jeans today that are two sizes too big because A. They are still really nice jeans, and B. I don't have any in my new size. I did give a lot of my nice stuff to my sister. Yesterday my mom bought a courdroy button down shirt that I could wear. I have never been able to raid my moms closet before. I told her I just might have to borrow it sometime.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 14:28

BF:

Im afraid Im gonna gain weight back and then I wont have anything to fit in if I get rid of everything too big and buy stuff in smaller sizes.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 14:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/155/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 79%

I too have run out of clothes that fit. Every pair of pants is too big. I'm wearing pajama capri's to the gym b/c my old gym pants actually slipped off my bum a few weeks ago!
I've been through my clothes twice now, deleting everything that is too big. I took it all to work and left it for the women there. Now, I work in a shelter for abused women. They often have not a stitch of clothing when they come in and believe me, they appreciate the clothes. Sometimes we have nothing for the little women, but more often, we don't have anything decent for the larger women to wear.
I feel good, they feel good. I'm glad to give it away. I'm also not having to worry about the cost of buying new quite yet. I'm a thrift store shopper and every month or so, I go out and find a few pairs of pants that fit, more than happy to give them away when they get too big.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 16:05
Whoosh me baby!

I refuse to keep my clothes for fear I'll gain weight. To me it's negative self talk that could be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I want my current size getting too tight to be my warning that I'm going up instead of down. Get rid of the clothes. They will do you no good.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 16:21

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by el corazón
Im afraid Im gonna gain weight back and then I wont have anything to fit in if I get rid of everything too big and buy stuff in smaller sizes.

I am reading Dr. Phil's book and he says that if you hang on to the old clothes then deep down inside yourself you are expecting to fail and need them again. He says to get rid of them as soon as you outgrow them. Weather you like him or not, this makes sense to me!

I agree with Neener. Don't expect failure!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 19:13

BF:

Good point!!! Ill get rid of those clothes, as hard as its gonna be!!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 20:13

Stats: 285.4/278.2/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 6%

Neener...I agree about the incentive! Meanwhile, I keep trying to convert them to LC!

El Corazon...Bite the bullet and let 'em go! Don't even keep that "favorite"! I try to buy just a few mix/match pieces at a time ('cept for that 1st little spree...lesson learned) in styles that will pass if they get just a bit loose...sale items only if at all possible.

Sherry
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 20:57
Whoosh me baby!

That's why I buy only every other size. I buy them snug and wear until they are really baggy-then buy snug again.