Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 12:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/163/140 Female 5'9'
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default need advice from the fitness gurus out there

I remember reading that if you only have 20-30 pounds to lose, you are better working out before you eat to maximize your calorie burn, whereas if you have over 30 pounds to lose, you should eat first.

My question is -

1) Is that true?
2) If I eat after working out, did I stall my metabolism for the day because I didn't eat until 2 1/2 hours after working out (drive time included - I'm not that dedicated to my workouts LOL.

I started a new aerobic class and it's at 9:30 a.m. on my only day off, so should I eat at 7? or should I wait until 10:30?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 13:10
Registered Member

Stats: 155/118.0/128 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 137%

Most true experts will tell you that the tiny amount of extra calories that may be burned on an empty stomach are not worth the risks it can pose!
If you are working out in the am, I would try and hydrate first. Then have a little something small. It doesn't have to be much, but some small protein and a lil carb is perfect.
You wake up after the night of a fast. Your body needs to hold onto lean muscle mass (it's too hard to gain, you don't want to burn it away, and it's what helps you have a higher metabolism)
So, I don't think it's ever good to go from a 12 hour or so fast into any type of work out. I've done it, but it can't be good. again, you don't have to eat a whole meal............but feed your muscle with some protein, it's the building block .........and then do your work out!
Just my 2 cents
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 13:16

Plan: Lots of milk+milk protein
Stats: 27.2/14.5/09.0 Male model, 6'1"
BF:lbs:237/200/212
Progress: 70%

Eating takes a lot of energy - if you eat before you workout, you are short-changing your workout.

Working out changes the environment of your body - afterwards, it is looking to refuel your muscles. You need to eat some quickly-digestible food ASAP after working out, or else the results of your workout will not be nearly as good. Are you eating any carbs? Save them for after your workout, and make sure you eat some protein.

Just don't eat fat after working out, becuase it really slows down the digestion process.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 13:37

Plan: Atkins/Meat & Egg
Stats: 213.5/191.4/155 Female 5' 5
BF:??/37
Progress: 38%

Manaburn,

I'm wondering if I'm sabotaging my workouts? I wake up and get on the treadmill still 1/2 asleep, drink a full 24oz bottle of water during the work out, then shower, then eat (usually an egg or 2). This morning for example I only did 1 mile then headed over to the weights and worked my arms for about 30 minutes. Then I had 1 hard boiled egg.
Since eggs have fat in them is that a mistake? I know you work out a lot and I value your advice. TIA!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 14:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaburrn
Eating takes a lot of energy - if you eat before you workout, you are short-changing your workout.

Working out changes the environment of your body - afterwards, it is looking to refuel your muscles. You need to eat some quickly-digestible food ASAP after working out, or else the results of your workout will not be nearly as good. Are you eating any carbs? Save them for after your workout, and make sure you eat some protein.

Just don't eat fat after working out, becuase it really slows down the digestion process.

I value your advice too - in fact I almost named this thread - Hey Manna, any advice on eating before or after workouts? -

Can you give me some examples of what you would eat before and after the workout? Also, what times - just before, an hour before, etc.

Thanks!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 14:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 183/000/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 345%

I know for me, doing my cardio first thing in the morning before any food is eaten makes me lose A LOT faster. I do my weights in the evening after I've had a few meals. I've found that over the past few years, this has worked wonders for quicker results
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 15:05

BF:

I also always did cardio first thing in the morning, but added the weights in at the beginning of the workout to stimulate fat burn. Help! I'm getting confused.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 15:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 183/000/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 345%

yeah thats a good way to do it too; if you have to do both then do weight lifting first; I'm sure mannaburrn can tell you exactly why its better to do weights first; I guess it uses up the left over glucose or something like that. Regardless of why it works...it just does! lol =)
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGal8
I know for me, doing my cardio first thing in the morning before any food is eaten makes me lose A LOT faster. I do my weights in the evening after I've had a few meals. I've found that over the past few years, this has worked wonders for quicker results
If you're going to do both that is EXACTLY that way to do it.

Why?

Because when you work out in the morning before eating you are burning your body's reserves, and not the food you've been eating.

And when you do resistance trainig, you need to eat something, digest and get to bed as soon as you can so your muscles can begin the repair process (which happens only while you are asleep).
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimGin2B
I value your advice too - in fact I almost named this thread - Hey Manna, any advice on eating before or after workouts? -

Can you give me some examples of what you would eat before and after the workout? Also, what times - just before, an hour before, etc.

Thanks!!!!!
Here are some really good links on that:
http://www.ast-ss.com/research/crib...scle_growth.htm
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/317/

You could also look up information on a "Targeted Ketogenic Diet", but a lot of those articles are not based on studies like the above two links are. I've seen a lot of "opinions" based on personal experiences, but not a lot of science behind it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 15:44

BF:

"Exposed: The Top Ten Diet Fallacies -
And The Truth to Set You Free

Diet Fallacy #2. EATING BEFORE EXERCISING will provide your muscles with instant energy

Recent studies demonstrated that eating fast releasing foods before or during exercise could be counter effective, to say the least. Investigators in the school of sport and exercise science, University of Birmingham, Edgbastion, England found that ingestion of carbs before exercise adversely elevated plasma cortisol levels. Interestingly enough, there was a significant reduction in post exercise cortisol when carbs were not ingested before exercise. Furthermore, there was a faster shift from carb to fat fueling during exercise, when a pre-exercise meal was not applied. "

I got this from your second link, manna, your first one seemed like a supplement ad or something, anyway, I couldn't find anything except this. So I guess I'm ok the way I'm going.

But to repeat one question: Is eating for the 1st time at 10:30 too late to start your metabolism for the day - could I have a small breakfast at 7am and workout at 9:30 and still get the same benefits? Or is that too close to the workout?

Thanks
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 15:49

Stats: 385/338/225 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
I also always did cardio first thing in the morning, but added the weights in at the beginning of the workout to stimulate fat burn. Help! I'm getting confused.

Doing weights first is a good thing.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 16:00

BF:

Thanks! Now one more quick question for those in the know - I seem to remember something about weight training. Is it more reps lighter weights to tone, and heavier less reps to bulk up, or what? I want a defined tone, not bulk. Thanks.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 16:02

If you have to do weights and aerobics in the same session, do the weights first. Lifting weights correctly takes a lot of reserve power and concentration.

It's much harder to have a good resistance training session after aerobics than it is to have a good aerobic session after resistance training.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 16:03

Quote:
Thanks! Now one more quick question for those in the know - I seem to remember something about weight training. Is it more reps lighter weights to tone, and heavier less reps to bulk up, or what? I want a defined tone, not bulk. Thanks.
You can't bulk up - you're a girl

If I were a girl, all I would work would be my legs and back. And that's it!