Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-04-08, 14:40

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

You can do all sorts of exercises with them. The advantage is that kettleball exercises are more functional, the sort of thing you'd do in real life, so they train your body to work as designed.

I don't know where all the myths about women and body building start, but to gain visible, you've got to train really hard, and eat really carefully. It doesn't happen by accident (ok, I know one woman who has the genetics for huge muscle mass, but she's stick thin and gets muscular just walking to work. Not you? Then don't worry)

I go to the gym and lift as hard as a man, but I still have an hourglass figure. The biggest difference when I'm in really hard training is that my waist looks smaller.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-04-08, 14:43

BF:
Progress:

Oh, what do you think of this woman? http://www.heavysports.com/emagimages/HPIM0718.jpg

Strong, but not so you'd point if she was walking down the street?

http://www.heavysports.com/emagimages/HPIM0670.JPG

http://www.heavysports.com/emag/aneta.html
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-04-08, 14:48

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Honestly, I don't like the way she looks. To me she looks too muscly. Thats just MHO!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-05-08, 11:20

Plan: My Own
Stats: 200/180/175 Male 5'11.5"
BF:sz36/sz31/sz30
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen H
Oh, what do you think of this woman? http://www.heavysports.com/emagimages/HPIM0718.jpg

Strong, but not so you'd point if she was walking down the street?

http://www.heavysports.com/emagimages/HPIM0670.JPG

http://www.heavysports.com/emag/aneta.html

As an adult male, I would say, eh... okay looking. Well, then again, compared to the fat American average, much better!! But she appears to have (in that first picture, did not check all the ones on the last link) worked away from her natural feminine form. She is not BAD looking, but not that great. Ya know what I mean?
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-05-08, 13:47

BF:
Progress:

But the point is that while she looks like someone who trains hard, she doesn't look like Arnie. And she trains only for strength, not for overall appearance or general fitness or to look good in a bikini.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 02:38
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen H
But the point is that while she looks like someone who trains hard, she doesn't look like Arnie. And she trains only for strength, not for overall appearance or general fitness or to look good in a bikini.

And she lifts HEAVY HEAVY weights....yet still no Arnie. If she dieted down to a low BF%, she would like Jillian, but better (more muscle, ).

Quote:
Squat 207.5 kg.
Benchpress: 100 kg.
Deadlift: 213 kg (it was junior European record).
Best Total: 507. 5 kg.

In pounds, that's
Squat-457#
Bench-220#
Deadlift-469#
Total-1,116.5#

#22   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
And she lifts HEAVY HEAVY weights....yet still no Arnie. If she dieted down to a low BF%, she would like Jillian, but better (more muscle, ).

This is probably true. I do not understand why ppl do that. Work their muscles to great strength, but do not attack the fat problem.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 08:34
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Do you think she's fat? She's not as lean as Jillian, but she's probably right in the normal range for bodyfat. As a powerlifter, they like to keep a little extra mass, as it can help with their lifts.

#24   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
Do you think she's fat? She's not as lean as Jillian, but she's probably right in the normal range for bodyfat. As a powerlifter, they like to keep a little extra mass, as it can help with their lifts.

Was speaking more in general not really about her. There are some REALLY fat ppl in the gym lifting a lot more then me.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 20:40

Plan: animal diet
Stats: 217/211/170 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Humans need Exercise not Steroids

First, those people in the pics you posted probably take anabolic steroids. That's how the majority (not all!) of bodybuilders do it. Those that don't take steroids must do tons of workouts, yet they cannot approach the steroid users in terms of muscle mass.

Second, the only way you gain fat is by having high levels of insulin. You can have high levels of insulin if you regularly eat lots of carbs, which I assume you don't since you are on this forum.

Third, the way that muscle mass is depleted by the body is the mechanism called Gluconeogenesis , and that only happens if you are starving (i.e., your body needs to generate glucose for the brain and the only source is your muscle mass). This is extremely rare and as long as you have enough fat intake, nothing to worry about.

Fourth, and this is more my personal opinion, is that the scenario of bodybuilders gaining lots of weight after not working out is caused by continued intake of high carbs (often deemed essential by athletes, even though they are not) plus the stoppage of steroids. Bodybuilders often eat a lot of carbs, even while claiming to eat high protein (you can't eat but a certain percentage of protein, so the rest is either carbs or fat, and most bodybuilders mistakenly opt for the carbs). It's entirely likely that once a bodybuilder stops working out intensely, he or she believes that she should stop eating so much (true) and cuts back on the protein and fat first (wrong).

Good Luck, I hope you keep on working out!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 20:54

Plan: animal diet
Stats: 217/211/170 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Of course, muscle depletion can also be caused by the natural course of life ... aging and non-use being the biggest factors. Aging is a very gradual process. Non-use cannot make you "fat" ... there just isn't enough mass in the converted muscle to make much of a difference.