Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 09:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/190/145 Female 5.2
BF:restart 4/24/09
Progress: 27%
Default Why Oh Why do I do this to myself???

I went out for lunch on Friday with my girlfriend and my son met us too. We went to Cosi, which is tough for me because they have that yummy flatbread. But I was good. I had my salad without the bread and did fine. My son ordered the pepperoni pizza on the flatbread. As I sat there watching him eat this (one of my absolute favorites at Cosi), I went crazy inside my head.

That night, I was to pick my younger son at his father's house. We take him out to dinner before he comes to spend the weekend with us. It's always at "our place" - a pizza/italian restaurant. Generally, I do fine there and order something low carb without any problem. But this time I had it in my head that I was going to have pizza. And I did 4 pieces of pepperoni pizza and it was amazing. We took the leftovers home for my son to have the next day and, sure enough, I had a slice first thing in the morning. Cripes!! what is WRONG with me?! I know I have a carb addiction and I gave in. I'd like to not beat myself over the head with it, but I think the carb withdrawal - and MAN to I have a headache today!! - will do that for me.

Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 09:11

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Next time...

Order this off the menu:

A salad with all of the pizza ingredients on it, even if they have to cook some of the ingredients. It is satisfying and keeps you on low carb... try it and post the results...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 09:16

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago, see my journal. Its not the toppings that will get ya in trouble but the crust. I absolutly love the crust and I know now that I cant just have one bite. I will end up eating way too much and beat myself up later, or immediatly. I had to accept that I would not have the crust. When we go out for pizza, usually Pizza Hut, I get a big order of hot wings and have the salad bar. I eat all of mine before I even think about the pizza. If there is a slice or two left and I just have to have it I only eat the toppings. Since I am full by this time it is much easier. If I did not think I could restrain myself to this I would avoid Pizza places until I could.
Anywho, so ya overdid it, we all do. Put it behind ya and learn from it and move on.

Tammie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 14:57

Plan: atkins modified
Stats: 225/162/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 97%

Yup. You can't beat yourself over it, just get right back on. I haven't cheated in months. Last night I did, but it wasn't really my fault. I didn't plan for dinner, since we were invited to a friend's house. Well, that fell through, so we wound up going to my boyfriend's parents, and his dad had made a fish stew. Fine, we took some home. I didn't like it AT ALL. I had NOTHING in the house to eat. I almost started to cry, because I was SO hungry, and had nothing to eat. I ordered some buffalo wings from the place down the street. They were breaded. I didn't care. I had been so good the rest of the day, I figured even if it knocks me out of ketosis, I had to eat something. And just get right back on it this AM. Which I did.
I can't beat myself up about it...it's just the way it went down. My boyfriend took one look at the wings and said "oh my god, they're breaded!". I looked at him, shrugged, and ate them.
Oh well.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 15:03

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

pizza is a killer, please do not punish yourself over this like you said the headache is punishment enough

argh that is enough to keep me from loosing my grip right now

I do just take as many pieces as I think I want and dump the toppings on my salad (a version of Cajunboy's idea) and toss the crust back (someone at the table will usually eat it!)

there is no point for me in even trying I will eat and eat and eat

hope you feel better soon
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 15:13

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%

when im in the mood for pizza we go to a local buffet. That way I can eat varieties and get full on toppings. They have a BLT one that is fab. I also get a salad. Another plus is their crust isn't that good so it is realy easy to pass on it.

Tammie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 16:13

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

When I'm in the mood for pizza, I wait for Domino's 2xTuesday - buy a large, get one free. One goes to family. One goes to me. I scrape off the cheese and dig in. Quite filling, and it hasn't had any negative effects on me.
If I'm PLANNING a mood for pizza, I always go for Deep Dish Pizza Quiche right here in the forums. Even the kids request this sometimes. (And they hate eggs...shhhh...I don't tell them how the "crust" is made!)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 07:47

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Our local CiCi's makes THE BEST low carb pizza. I just go in and order it and wait while they make it and bring it to the table for me (it's not on the buffet). Basically they take a foil take-out container (similar to what some places put take-out Chinese in) and make me a pizza of my choosing without the crust. Comes to the table all covered in golden cheese - YYYYYUUUUUUUMMMMM! My favorite! I get it to go sometimes. I also started making the same thing at home, in a pie pan. Layer all the meat and cheese and other LC items I want, bake and enjoy. A wonderful alternative to the real thing, though I really like having it as an option at CiCi's because it let's me say "YES" when someone says, "Wanna go out for pizza?"
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-09, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/190/145 Female 5.2
BF:restart 4/24/09
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioch
When I'm in the mood for pizza, I wait for Domino's 2xTuesday - buy a large, get one free. One goes to family. One goes to me. I scrape off the cheese and dig in. Quite filling, and it hasn't had any negative effects on me.
If I'm PLANNING a mood for pizza, I always go for Deep Dish Pizza Quiche right here in the forums. Even the kids request this sometimes. (And they hate eggs...shhhh...I don't tell them how the "crust" is made!)

Yum! I have to make this. Thanks everyone for your support. I sort of went on a carb binge yesterday too, but I'm over it now - my mind is too carb fuzzy to continue life like this.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-09, 09:00

Plan: Custom low-carb
Stats: 240/188/140 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

It's really hard having a carb addiction >_<

I've been on a crazy binge for two weeks. Bagels, cinnamon buns, a LOT of sushi... It was as if my hands and mouth were rebelling against my brain Well, I finally got tired of the carbs and am back on track. Induction day 2 right now and I've behaved.

You can't beat yourself up over a slip every now and then. The thing is to shrug it off and keep going. Otherwise you'll always be regretting the things you cannot have. IMO, better to slip sometimes and write it off as a treat than make it that much tempting by making it a sin
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 02:05

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Not too long ago 4 slices of pizza would have been an appetizer for me. I would have four slices of pizza or maybe 5, then bread sticks and then wings. I miss pizza the most and it wasn't even something we had that often maybe 2x in this last year. It was however, something we had a couple times a month back in Minnesota. Anyways, I have been having a lot of egg pizzas. Going to do a bacon crust pizza soon.

ETA I don't think you should be too hard on yourself. Your body seems to have a way of handling the cheats.