Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 09:46
Registered Member

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 152/143/120 Female 5' 6"
BF:38%
Progress: 28%
Default Your Advice is Appreciated

I am going to do the Atkin’s diet firstly for weight loss, and thereafter as a way of eating. Most of the threads on weigh lost I read have been from individuals with lots, or rather, with more than 40 lbs to lose and they are making tremendous progress – congrats!! I am wondering what it is like for people with less than 20 lbs to lose. I know each individual differs, but on induction, what is the average weight loss can I expect?

Very worried about my body fat percentage which is rather high – 34% (used the fat measuring scale at the gym). Lots of fats at my stomach, upper arms, and thighs area. My wrist is very small, slim neck and visible collarbone.

I hope this don’t turn out to be like an essay – the last thing I want to do is bore you guys to death! But for the sake of getting better advice, here it goes ….. Used to be a skinny child, but when puberty hit, I was plump – about 20 - 30 lbs heavier than others (Asian size). Weight began piling in my twenties and on my 27th birthday, I weighed 250 lbs. It was on that day, I decided to change my eating habits. Eighteen months later, I weighed 115 lbs. I lost my weight by the “traditional method” – low caloric intake and exercising: 45 minutes brisk walking and doing aerobics on my own. Even at 115 lbs, I had lots of loose skin.

Enjoying my new body was short lived cos was involved in an accident – I broke my forearm and my femur (thigh bone), and due to some complications I took over two years to recover. During this period, I could not exercise – I was either in wheelchair or in clutches. I believe I was on steroids but only after each operation – had five. Still watched what I ate though not as restrictive for the sake of recovery and was not able to exercise during this period of two years plus. Started walking again at 31, 130 lbs with lots of loose skin. Wanting to get to 120 lbs with a toned body, I embarked on my weight loss journey again and after 3 years, my weight has fluctuated between 130 lbs and 150 lbs. Since the last 3 months, it has been maintaining at 138 lbs – exercising and restrictive caloric intake. It seems I just can’t lose weight as I did the first time round.

I have been taking Hydroxycut (without ephedrine) – 6 pills a day for 3 weeks: so far, no effect on my weight. I take Vitamin C, E and Omega 3 & 6. I have no medical or health problems, not on medication, not on birth control or hormone pills, do not have a sweet-tooth, not under stress. I walk 5x a week on a rather trying hill trek – takes about 1 hour to complete. Another 45mins. everyday running & walking with my rottweiler.

All comments and advice appreciated. THANK YOU!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 09:54
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Since you have less than 20 pounds to lose, you can do an induction, but I think Atkins says you can also just move on to OWL if you want. During an induction, you can expect to lose around 10% of what you need to lose-so that would be around 2 pounds. I lost 4 and I needed to lose 35-40. This probably won't be a fast weight loss for you, but I hope it will be steady. I think induction is important to start breaking our old eating habits.

Exercise will help, a lot! Combined with Atkins, your body fat should shrink fairly quickly. I would definately start taking measurements and keep track of your BF% as you go along. Even on the weeks your scale doesn't move, you will find that you shrink and/or lose BF. I haven't really moved more than a pound in over a month, but I have lost .8 inch in my waist in that time.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 11:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hello, well I think you have done really well to keep most of that weight off, during the time of recovery

In looking at your profile, ~ 5'6" you may have set your goal alittle low.

I personally think if you do the Atkins induction for a few weeks, then go on to OWL, you'll be pleased with the results.

But I would also suggest to ditch the drugs, and add to your supplement plan instead. There is a good thread here, supplements and nutrition.

Good luck, Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 15:09

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

How much protein have you been taking in on your
"reduced calorie diet? if you have been getting less then what your body needed and exercising daily you have probably lost muscle mass.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 23:01
Registered Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. Starting on induction today & got rid of the pills too!

When I was on my low caloric diet I ate just about anything as long as I stay within the region. Judging from my food, it will be mainly rice, noodles, lots of vegs, and a little meat. If I had an ice-cream on that day, oh boy, I will then fast throught out the day! So, you are right, I was eating carbs and exercising and losing muscle mass.

You will laugh, but when I first lost my weight of 125 lbs, I had never read a diet book or even knew or thought weight was an issue. I wanted to lose weight cos I was not happy with myself. Now that I need to lose 18 lbs, I am astounded at the knowledge I am getting.

I do agree with you about setting my weight goal too low for my height. It is just that I have soooo much fat in my body and I guess I will make a better decision once I lose the fat and see how I feel in clothes. For now, my clothes are keeping the fats in place but when I take it off, omg!! it just juggles like jello. I sure can understand why my husband cringed at the sight of that!!

I know this will not be a speedy weight loss / fat loss for me. But at least, I can eat and will be eating right. I just can't take the low calorie thing and now understand and totally agree about carb issues.

Would you suggest incorporating whey protein powder?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 23:50

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by amistad
Would you suggest incorporating whey protein powder?

Not on induction. Your first two weeks, or more (forever if you like,), should be REAL food only. Stick to a basic low-carb non-processed food diet. Avoid processed dairy, like cheese slices, and cured meats. No Atkins bars, and shakes. Flush the pills, they don't work anyway, and probably make you more unhealthy. Vitamen and mineral supplements are recommended, though, if needed.

Fresh green veggies, fresh meats, eggs, fish -- stuff like that. If you haven't seen the <A HREF="http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html">Induction Acceptable Foods</A> list, do check it out.

Good luck to ya!!!

Last edited by Coriolis : Sun, Jun-22-03 at 23:51.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 00:32

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default Good Luck

Please let me know how it progresses for you. It sounds as though we have similar bodyfat and structure. I am generally small boned (small wrists, collar bones visible) but have a lot of fat on my thighs, etc. If excersise seems to be it for you, let me know. I have a hard time with it but if I knew someone was getting good results and had a body type similar to mine, that would be very encouraging.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 05:53

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Amistad, I have two words for you...lol...STRENGTH TRAINING I think most of us could lose until we were severely underweight and still not be happy with the results without building muscle mass and toning everything up. I'm absolutely sold on it. I've been lifting for just almost three months now and wow...I can see those muscles just under a layer of fat, but I just can't believe how much my body has changed. Even though I still have so much to lose, I don't look bad at this weight and I know it is because of the toning and building of muscles.

I saw a kid that used to live next door to me yesterday. His uncle owns a gas station down the street from where I live. I hadn't seen him in several years (he is from another country) and his uncle said to him..."do you remember this lady"? The kid said he didn't and his uncle told him, "Its Nathan's mom...but she's lost about 100 lbs.!" OMG...I couldn't believe it...lol. I've only lost a little over 40, and he was serious that he thought I had lost that much.

Anyway....I am a firm believer that strength training will make all the difference on how happy we are with our bodies when we get to goal.

L
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 20:51
Registered Member

Default Day 2

ThininBC - I will surely let you know my outcome in 2 weeks time but if there are significant changes earlier than that, you will be the first to know!

Congrats Whyspers on your progress. Strength training that's the way to go but have been avoiding that. Even at the gym, when the trainer ask me to do free weights, I will somehow escape and go on the treadmill, the stairclimber and even the bike (I hate the bike - I feel it makes my already chunky thighs more chunkier!) and spend 2 hours on it - just so the trainer can see I am busy doing something.

But no escaping it now - strength training it is.

I had a terrible day yesterday when I didn't take the Hydroxycut (no ephadrine) pills. I had such a huge migrane and wanting to beat it, slept throught the day. This morning I woke up with the same effect and had no choice but took 2 pills and it got better - My classes starts today and I have tons of things to do, so ..... I will have to phase it out slowly I guess.