Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-08, 22:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158.6/143.2/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Grains & Cereal

I would like to keep away from grains/cereal which PP allows one to eat.

What are you all doing with respect to this?

What can we substitute this with?

Sorry for all these newbie questions.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 00:56
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I'm still just a few pages into the first chapter of PPLP, but apparently there are 3 plans you can choose from: Hedonist, Dilettante, and Purist. The Hedonist plan allows the most food variety, the Dilettante plan is slightly more restrictive, and the Purist plan is the most restrictive. That's as far as I've gotten in the book right now, but it shows you that there is quite a bit of flexibility in how you follow PPLP.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 06:12

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I've been avoiding all grains & cereals for about 2 years. I eat eggs alone or with bacon or sausage for breakfast, have "sandwich contents" in a salad with plenty of fat & protein. Instead of pasta I slice cabbage into "noodles" or "lasagna" and steam separately or cook the strips until al dente along with whatever I plan to eat them with. You can make "pancakes" with ground flax/almonds, an egg & pinch of baking powder.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 07:11

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I avoid grains in all forms. I have a wheat intolerance to begin with, and other grains trigger wicked munchies.

Allowed doesn't mean REQUIRED.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 07:16
Registered Member

Stats: 166/162/146 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

I just bought the Vanilla Flax Cereal from Flax Snax - whicj is not bad - my husband loves it, it has the texture of a hot cereal, needs some splenda and a spot of cream or 1/2&1/2
we also live on the flax muffins (listed below
143 cal a serving
7g fat
12g Carb
10g Fiber
13g protein
= 2 net carbs
www.lowcarbsuccess.org
1866-flax-2-go

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/flaxme...on_muffins.html
KIM'S FLAXMEAL CINNAMON MUFFINS
3 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup sugar free syrup, such as Da Vinci or Torani
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon (the amount is correct)

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. With a fork or spoon, beat in the oil, syrup, water and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients, then stir into the egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into 12 well-greased muffin cups without paper liners. Bake at 350º 12-15 minutes, or until they are lightly browned and seem set to the touch. Remove from the tin at once to cooling rack. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes 12 muffins
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 130 Calories; 12g Fat; 3g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carb
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 07:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hmm that website sent me to the wrong place - think they should change the back of their cereal bag

http://www.carbsmart.com/lowcarbsuccess.html

they had some of the products listed - sorry about that
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 08:06

BF:

Teliasov: Those flax muffins sound good. I have the regular flax seed that I purchased when I started Atkins about a month ago, and have not used it yet.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 08:22
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I eat Mission LC tortillas with 7g net carbs -- two or 3 a week. I put a little butter in a skillet and toast them then convert them into a quesadilla or use them folded over as a bread with sandwich fillings (tuna salad is excellent).

I don't eat cereal but there is a commercial brand that would work -- Weight Watchers Flakes n Fiber Oat and Cinnamon cereal is 8g carbs per half cup serving.

While allowed doesn't mean required, it does mean allowed. I don't get cravings from eating tortillas, they help me stay on plan and I enjoy what I make from them.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 06:59
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Mary - I am not a huge fan of the flax muffins but my husband LOVES them - I eat eaggs with cheese or a LC quiche for breakfast.
Good luck,
Tammy
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 10:56

BF:

Thanks Teliasov.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 11:07

BF:

Teliasov: Do you find these flax muffins to be filling?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 18:02
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Moretta, I'm glad you asked this question (so don't apologize for such things!) because it's a great point of conversation.

Now I like grains and haven't noticed a problem with them, but I have them sparingly. Once in a great while I might try a one-slice sandwich (very specific on the type of bread) and recently i've come to love whole wheat Melba toast...a piece or two is enough and what crunch! And I like oatmeal in moderation. But so far these things haven't disagreed with me and I'm liking enjoying them in a hedonist fashion. However, most mornings start with an omelet or bacon (nitrate free) and eggs (packed with Omega 3) and my coffee with cream! Since I cook for my DH and Mom I usually just make them a starch on the side for dinner (garlic toast or fries) and I don't partake. However with pasta dishes I do enjoy Dreamfields pasta...again in moderation and always measured.

As you can see, this WOE is so flexible you can make it be whatever you want it to be really...paying close attention to what your body needs, of course.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-04-08, 09:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I actual made a batch of the carbquick cheddar scones (the recipe is on the side of the box) they tasted better the next day but I have to say I find them really yummy. I don't find the flax muffins that filling - my husband LOVES them but they are really not my taste.

Hope you found some new ideas - good luck
Tammy
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 23:33

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

At this point, I don't plan to introduce any of the low-carb grain products (tortillas, bread). I've done that before, and they induce cravings for more.

I've done PP a few times (never stuck with it for more than six months), and this time, I'm going to plan for "off-plan" meals about every 6 weeks to prevent the feelings of deprivation (mental, mainly) that led me astray other times. Off-plan, for me, won't mean pizza, french fries, or pasta carbonara, but it will mean about 1/2C of my wife's cajun-fried okra with chili (parsnips instead of beans), plus 1/2 oz of my favorite chocolate as dessert.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-11-08, 13:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I only eat about 1 serving of grains per week- half a serving of rice twice a week.

I don't try to "replace" grains in meals, I try to increase veggies and fill up on naturally grain-free foods.