Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/145/125 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default tummy wont leave!

I was wondering if this was a result of PCOS, it seems that I am losing weight everywhere except my tummy, is it harder for women with PCOS to lose the fat in their stomach area?? I read alot of helpful things in the atkins forum, but just wanted to post here to see if women with PCOS have found that their stomach just wont go away!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 10:19

Stats: 188/181/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Unhappy Tummy won't leave either

I was surprised to see your post because I always blamed my second child, which is almost 4 now, on the dreaded tummy problem. I was diagnosed with with PCOS 5 years ago when trying to conceive our first baby. Steadily, my fasting blood sugar has been elevating and therefore I have cut the carbs. I work out 4 times a week which include ab crunches. I feel the muscle definition, but yet have lost weight in every place but there also. I would also be curious if anyone else has had the same problem. I haven't even read about this symptom anywhere else. I am seeing a new doc next month and hopefully she might be able to tell me something.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:08

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Abdominal fat is one of the most obvious symptoms of insulin resistance (which most with with PCOS have). It's the excess insulin which causes us to make abdominal fat and to prevent us from losing it.

LCing well help get your insulin levels in control which will help. However, most women also find that they don't lose the abdominal fat until they are close to goal. It's usually one of the last things to do.

So all I can say is hang in there!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 17:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/300/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdaisy
Abdominal fat is one of the most obvious symptoms of insulin resistance (which most with with PCOS have). It's the excess insulin which causes us to make abdominal fat and to prevent us from losing it.

LCing well help get your insulin levels in control which will help. However, most women also find that they don't lose the abdominal fat until they are close to goal. It's usually one of the last things to do.

So all I can say is hang in there!

Gee.. I was diagnosed with PCOS a year ago.. and hypothyroidism 3 years ago.. anyway.. the dr I saw about the pcos did not tell me much.. just gave me some meds to lower my testosterone.... but really did not give me much info... I never heard about the insulin resisitence thing...I will definitely check that out.. is there any other info you can give me about it...???
thanks..
Shel
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 21:46

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Sure, here ya go:

Insulin Resistance:
http://www.pcosupport.org/living/nu...n/insulinre.php

That pcosupport.org site has a lot of really good information. You may also want to come visit www.soulcysters.net, which is a message board dedicated to PCOS women. I find it very helpful and supportive.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/300/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdaisy
Sure, here ya go:

Insulin Resistance:
http://www.pcosupport.org/living/nu...n/insulinre.php

That pcosupport.org site has a lot of really good information. You may also want to come visit http://www.soulcysters.net, which is a message board dedicated to PCOS women. I find it very helpful and supportive.

Thanks bunches... they look like great sites to get more info...
much appreciations...
Shel
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 15:19
Registered Member

Stats: 175/148/140 Female 173.7cm
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default hi

soulcysters has been a great place for me since being diagnosed, i have many friends there and they are very friendly.My Gyn has told me losing weight with pcos will be alot harder then for someone without pcos, and also Pcos tends to make you put weight on around stomach and thighs ( and for me my bum) lol
I guess it's yet another hurdle for us but i am sure with extra determination we can all lose our tummys in the end. Good luck
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:17

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

Shelm, what meds did your doctor give you to lower testosterone please?
The only thing i am on for my ir/pcos is glucophage.

Abdominal fat is usually the last to go on us i think. Those with insulin resistance have a tendency to develop fat below the abdominal wall as well as over it where most people just have fat over their muscles.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:22

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

If You're still around that is ....
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:08

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I know aldactone (spironolactone) is an anti-androgen. Lowers male hormones. I tried it but I never found it terribly helpful. I also worried about taking it on low carb because it does affect your potassium levels.

I decided for me the best thing to do was get the IR under control and see if the situation didn't improve on its own. Too early to tell but I think my face is a little clearer and my facial hair growing more slowly.

I know the skin tags are definitely getting better.

Squid