Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 03:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%
Default Sorry to everyone else for drifting so far from the subject of alcohol!

That's fantastic Christine, thank you! Broken down for the uneducated... essentially 2 and 10 bad.

I've ordered the Bernstein book, but it'll take a couple of days to arrive, and a while longer for me to be able to sort her out a programme from it (bearing in mind we move house tomorrow!). I know she's anxious to switch diets as soon as possible... would you say it's okay to start her off on the Atkins induction?

Also (sorry to bombard you with so many questions... I promise I'll stop soon!) does it say in Bernstein about what you found with having a drink, or will I need to figure that out separately?!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 03:26

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

is your mam overweight?
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 03:30

Yup. She's 175lbs (possibly heavier; one of the things which really upset her was how fast she put on weight since being put on the doctor's diet) and about 5'2".
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 03:37

BF:
Progress:

to get a quck insite to dr b,s book go to
www.diabetesincontrol.com/bernsteinarchive.htm
you can read the book on line.i,ll catct up about the alcohol thing later.the kids won,t let me play with the internet fof very long.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 04:39

BF:
Progress:

hi urbanGypsy,
baby,s asleep now, i can play.
i,ve never done induction as i didn,t need to lose weight but i know other diabetics who have .it stabalizes bgs quicker as well.
bgs swinging from 2 to 10 would make me feel awful.i,ve never had a bg of 2 since i stopped the insulin and went l-c.never had a 10 neither.in uk, the recemended bgs are,4 to 7 before meals and up to 10 after.i used to have bgs like that but now they are 4 to 6.normal.
as to the alcohol thing,i didn,t read this anywhere,it was just experiments with a lot of testing and listening to other peoples stories.i had very sore fingers for a while.my bgs are listed in my journal along with what i eat.
always remember dr b,s statement-small inputs, small mistakes.its my diabetes code that i live by.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 04:58

Hi Christine

Thank you so, so much... you've really helped more than I can say.

Glad the baby's giving you some peace now too!

Me, I'm off to do some serious reading and type up the results for her! Well, it beats packing the kitchen (which is what I'm meant to be doing!) anyway...
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 05:39

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin! (Barry Groves)
Stats: 158/135/130 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hi UrbanGypsy,

May I also suggest the following (excellent) article on Diabetes by Dr Barry Groves (The UK author of Eat Fat, Get Thin!):

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/diabetes_index.html

This should get you started as at the end of the articles are lists of what to eat and what not.

Best of luck!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 05:44

BF:
Progress:

good thinking no honey.i like that site.saw b.groves on the tv and have spoke to him by e-m.he,s a lovely man,talks a lot of sense.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 06:08

That's a fantastic help No Honey... thank you very much indeed!

Between this and the Bernstein advice, I should have her right as rain in no time! Funny, I've no real "mini goals" of my own, but my goal with my mother is for her to go back for her tests and turn up absolutely normal...

Doctor (looking smug): Ah, as expected, the diet I gave you has worked. I am, indeed, a god.

Mother (looking more smug): Actually, as expected, your diet made me ten times worse. I've cured myself doing precisely the opposite of what you prescribed. You are, indeed, a wan...

Well, it rhymes with anchor, put it that way!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:25

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Whilst talking about beer and other alcohol I found this amusing in the City diary in the Times today. Found the article in media watch.

So the chief exec of Scottish and Newcastle Brewery is on Atkins!

Atkins diet gets bitter
Dominic Walsh

TONY FROGGATT, the extremely personable new chief executive of Scottish & Newcastle, the UK’s biggest brewer, is the latest FTSE 100 boss to be unmasked as an acolyte of the Atkins diet.
The only problem is that beer is on the list of things that followers of the low-carbohydrate regime are supposed to steer clear of. Which may explain why, as Froggatt reluctantly admits, the diet is working “only slowly”.

There is another reason why the Atkins diet sits rather uneasily with Froggatt. Earlier in his career he helped to launch Weight Watchers in Australia, developing it into the country’s leading dietary brand.

But the rugby-loving Australian is determined to persist with Atkins, albeit accompanied by continued imbibing of his favourite tipple, John Smith’s ale. “I’m not going to live my life not drinking,” he says. “I love beer.”

Last edited by LittleAnne : Tue, Aug-12-03 at 09:29.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:42

Why doesn't that surprise me?!

Well spotted Anne!

Meanwhile, according to the guy who wrote the second-opinions website, all vegetarians are violent and agressive whilst you meat eating types are as docile as lambs. Who'd have thought... football hooligans, Tony Blair, George Bush, everyone who marched against the Iraq war... so many vegetarians in the world today...

Sigh. Surely there's enough opposition from outside sources without supposedly intelligent people interjecting moments of sheer lunacy in an otherwise informative site to prompt cynics to dismiss everything - good and ludicrous alike - they say out of hand.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:57

Stats: 186/173/165 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH57
Back from my research again.

Per 100ml ............

Miller Pilsner ........ 30.0 Cals - 2.4g Carbs + 4.0g alcohol carbs

Per Pint ( 570ml)

Miller Pilsner ........ 171 Cals - 13.6g Carbs + 22.8g alcohol carbs

Steve

Steve - what exactly is "Miller Pilsner"??

Are you referring to "Miller Genuine Draft" or plain "Miller"?

I as as previously someone in an earlier thread had said:
Quote:
1. Miller (UK) = Miller Lite (US)

This was good news and almost too good to be true. I checked the alcohol content and confirmed they are the same and checked with the brewery twice to confirm. Miller Lite was rebranded in the UK because British men won't drink something called 'Lite' - it makes them feel like girls. Don't confuse it with Miller Genuine Draft which is higher in carbs. Miller (UK) is 0.7g per 100ml. MGD is 3.2g per 100ml.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:13
Lost the Plot

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 285/285/217 Male 72 inch
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoko
Steve - what exactly is "Miller Pilsner"??

Are you referring to "Miller Genuine Draft" or plain "Miller"?

I as as previously someone in an earlier thread had said:

Sorry Stoko l can't answer the question, all the details came from a uk food database and thats how all the beers were listed.

As l dont normally buy / drink the bottled lagers l just extracted all the references to any beer l could find in their database during my 3 day free access to their website ( full access is 7 quid a month).

Steve
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:31
Lost the Plot

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 285/285/217 Male 72 inch
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooz
So Steve, dont you suffer from hangovers drinking a bottle of wine a night?? Dont get me wrong, I used to do that too pre low carbs, but during induction I abstained, but had a blowout at the weekend (day 13 of induction) thought I was going to die on Sunday morning!!

Hi sooz & ebbie

Not to worry about the question, i'm just supprised it took so long for someone to ask it

l dont seem to get many hangovers, maybe if i did i wouldnt drink as much

l can only think that as l drink on a regular basis and drink a couple of pints of water when l get back home, that my system manages to cope. Whereas when ive been on a long night blowout (mixing drinks) its gets too much for the body to cope with so it fights back and boy does it fight back..

Steve
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 11:51
Registered Member

Stats: 200/182/160 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 45%

Does anyone have 1-2 drinks per day and still lose weight? thanks.