Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 19:30

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hey Anleigh! How's it going? Long time, no see-- We missed ya!

Got some questions for ya, if u don't mind...

Do you eat the low carb yogurt only? What is the yogurt fast, and isn't that kinda anti-atkins?

Do u just eat the tuna salad/chicken salad plain? Any recipes?

lowcarb bagel? Where do u get them from? any recommendations?

Do u ever eat fruit? How do u get your carbs up to 60/70, and do u know your calorie intake?

Thanks!

Rose--5 lb is a good range to have.... wouldn't worry about it too much, scales are evil! As long as u feel ok, all should be fine!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 09:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/142/110 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:

I am curious too, what is the yogurt fast?
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 19:15

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

Sorry girls but I don't check in too often. The Yogurt Fast, I learned about from another lowcarb board. The so called, Yogurt Exception, says that the live bacteria in the yogurt destroys much of the carbs in the yogurt and, therefore, is allowable by some lowcarb standards. Yes, it is contradictory to Atkins. Of course, it has to either be plain or at least sugar free. A very popular yogurt is the Blue Bunny Lite or the Kroger Lite (sugar free). Many make yocheese from the regular full fat yogurt (drain the whey from it) and add such sweeteners as Davinci flavored syrups. Now that the lowcarb yogurts are finally on the market that just adds more choices. The fast involves eating 5-6 containers of yogurt only per day. I lost a lot of weight doing the modified fast which involves yogurt for breakfast, lunch, and snack and a regular lowcarb dinner. I still eat a lot of yogurt everyday. Couldn't live without it. I don't have any trouble getting my carbs up to 60-70 per day eating lots of veggies, lowcarb bread, nuts, etc, and the yogurt. I also eat a lot of toppings off pizza. I crave it and that adds up pretty quick. I also like the lowcarb pizza from Sams. The lowcarb bagels I get from a place called Lowcarb Emporium. I order them online. They are really good; expensive and usually a little dry but they sure make up for the real thing. My tuna and chicken salads are made with sugar free pickle relish sweetened with Splenda and Duke's Sugar Free Mayonnaise. I just eat it with celery, lettuce or lowcarb bread. About the only fruit I eat is berries in my yogurt. I also eat a lot of peanutbutter. I'm amazed at my CCL and the number of calories I can eat and not gain weight; probably 1800/day at least. One more thing, I don't know if I have mentioned that I am 55 years old and the grandmother of a little two year old boy, Jonah and 3 week old girl. Her name is Anleigh, after me whose real name is Ann Lee. I'm just a lucky lady.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 09:07

Stats: 145/142/110 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:

Hi Anleigh,
I was wondering where I could find more information about the yogurt fast? Also how long did you do it for and how much weight did you actually lose on it? Can you do it with plain whole milk yogurt or do they have to be the new low carb ones? About how many calories are you suppose to eat of yogurt daily? Sorry for all the questions but I am curious about it. In your opinion, how unhealthy do you think it is?
Thanks,
Pez
P.S. Congrats on your granddaughter, I am sure she is beautiful
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 09:21

BF:

I lost from 120 lbs. to 95 lbs. doing the Modified Yogurt Fast. I would do the regular fast only for a couple of days at a time. When doing the regular fast, I would only have about 600 calories a day. I primarily ate the BB Lite and Kroger Lite while losing weight. The new lowcarb yogurts were not on the market at that time. Also, the yocheese is made from plain, full fat yogurt. Some people like it much better, says it satisfies them longer due to the fat and would have more calories. In order to be healthy, one would probably need to do the Modified version if doing it long term. I still have yogurt one meal a day. I love it! If you are truly interested in where I learned all about it, just pm me and I will give you the scoop. Ann
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 09:34

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi all

I joined this website about a month after reaching my goal. Good to see a maintenance site here, too.

While I understand that BMI (body mass index) isn't so necessary, I was wondering for Anleigh and others, what is your final BMI? There is a chart in DANDR. Mine is about 26 right now, but I am back on "Induction" until I go to Cuba in two weeks to bring my weight down about six pounds. However, I can't seem to eat only 20 carbs now! The two days I've been doing it, I hit 30 and almost 40 carbs! I am already sitting at about 14 for the day, and I only just had breakfast (crustless quiche 6, coffee 4, strawberries 4).

Mary
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 10:29

BF:

My BMI is a little low at barely 18. I feel good at this size and seem to not have a lot of problems with Maintenance. I do have to watch it like everyone else but as long as I stick to the basic rules, I'm fine.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 16:21

Plan: semi low carb
Stats: 103/1015/ Female 66.5
BF:
Progress:

Hey 600 calories a day is not a good idea! That will definately cause loss of muscle mass, not fat.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 09:11

BF:

Angelpaws - you are correct about the 600 calories. I didn't do it for more than a couple of days at a time. I exercise quite a bit so I'm developing a good bit of muscle mass. Actually quite strong for a shrimp.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 19:15

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Anleigh
Wow too bad you have no journal .I am lucky I found you. I would love if you PM me the Yogurt fast.
I eat some every day .I find it fascinating you manage to get to 95 pounds.
I am your age and on HRT. I am having a harder time. I used to be 107.
Thanks in advance for your help
Pene
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 09:24

BF:

Penelope - Not a whole lot to the yogurt fast. 5-6 BB Lite or Kroger, or now the new lowcarb yogurts per day. I would only do this for a few days at a time. For an extended period of time I did the Modified Yogurt Fast as mentioned before. About 3 yogurts per day and then a lowcarb dinner (usually meat and veggie or salad). You can probably use most any sugar free yogurt but I used the ones I did because they were made with Splenda. Other sugar free brands seem to have more carbs. I based this on the yogurt exception which amounted to about 5 carbs per 6 oz. container for the yogurt. Many people like the full fat plain yogurt drained of its whey, which is called yocheese. Then you just mix it with sugar free syrup for flavor and eat as you would the other. They say it stays with you longer but I didn't do it much for lack of time. I don't take HRT and have had very few problems. I guess I got lucky with my metabolism. I can't believe I lost as much as I did either and what is even more fascinating is how well I can maintain eating 60-70 carbs/day and I know my calories must go to about 2500 some days. My weight fluctuates between 92-95 lbs. I weighed 94 this morning. Good Luck. Anleigh
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 10:59

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hello! I'm glad I found this thread. I met goal back in October 2003, had a fabulous time in my new body, and then backslid up the scale for a full 10lbs. I'd gotten back down to 117 at the beginning of Spring, but I kept nibbling this and that and avoiding the scale until I finally got to 123. I think I fell prey to the post-goal depression. Whatever. I'm not going to wallow it in. I'm exercising again, on Induction again, and this thread is strengthening my resolve to MAINTAIN the second time around.

I had never really dieted before. I had no idea what to expect. Now that I've read this thread all the way through my forehead is sore from all times I smacked it and said "d'oh!"

So THAT'S how it works!

Isa

P.S. Special Hi to trish, Sarah, and downscale, who all avoided the pit I so clearly fell into.