Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 17:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

This thread is timely for me. I started out on Atkins seven months ago, have lost 28 lb, and feel terrific. I'm 12 lb from my original goal but am at the point now where the weight is dribbling off very, very slowly. I get weary sometimes waiting for the scale to drop a pound. I have a tendency to rationalize my way back into bad food choices and insidious weight gain, so I have to stay honest with myself. I concentrate more now on maintaining what I've already lost forever. It's true about keeping on doing basically what you've been doing since the beginning because it works! - with slight deviations. Gotta watch those deviations, though ... if I find I indulge too much (too many calories, too many carbs, too many times in a week) - I dial back to induction for a few days to reset my body as well as my mind.

Last edited by barb712 : Sun, Oct-22-17 at 17:10.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 17:12

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

[QUOTE=.

Over the weeks I have been following this WOE I have been talking to other obese folks and hearing a lot of stories like "ya I lost over 50 pounds once" or "a couple of times I got my weight down to normal" and I'm like "Oh God no! - Don't let me be like that!"

I don't want to do all this work and then flush it down the tubes but at the same time, I don't want to think I can "never ever" eat fruit or have a slice of pie again...[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere, maybe here, that most people regain the weight they lost within 3 years. I am not going to make any declarations about never regaining the weight or following low carb the rest of my life, but ideally, I'd like to be able to eat right most of the time, without having to go back to induction if I have a piece of cake at my daughters wedding.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 17:21

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I think I'm a moderator, as long as I stick with things I can have a little bit of once in a while without ill effect. Even though I do Phase II/OWL, I don't climb any ladders either. In Dr. Atkin's 1972 book, he said it's okay to pick and choose a higher carb item here and there, not in any particular order, if it helps you stay on plan. That's where I'm at and it works for me. I think in the long run it will help me maintain. I need that flexibility.

Last edited by barb712 : Mon, Oct-23-17 at 09:11.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 17:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Good clip.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 17:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
This is also my experience, although I don't actually measure ketones. At 190 pounds a low carb diet, with no attempt to control protein and eating a bit too much peanut butter or cheese still gave me weight loss. The less I weigh, the less insulinogenic my diet seems to need to be for me to maintain, even small overindulgences in carbohydrate leave me with an increased appetite for a couple days, large overindulgences throw me off for a week.

It makes sense to be more rather than less sensitive to the fattening effects of insulin once you've lost weight, at the heavier body weight we're likely to be more insulin resistant. The lower the body weight you're trying to maintain, the lower insulin might need to be.

That seems right.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 17:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
dcc, HUGE CONGRATS on reaching your goal weight!

I've had to stay at A '72 Induction level carbs to maintain my weight loss. Wish I could eat more, but like you, if I do, I get cravings so I don't.

Dr. A said this when asked about the amount of carbs to maintain weight loss in A '72 on page 263:Wishing you continued success on your journey to better HEALTH and congrats again!

Thanks for the encouragement. I read that book not long ago, but forgot the quote.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 17:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I love that quote. I know lots of people do good with the carb ladder, most of what I learned from it was that I'm one of those people who should probably stay off the darned thing.

I think I'm one of those who needs to stay off the carb ladder to stay in ketosis.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 18:41

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
Nice quote. Is that yours?

The basic idea is not mine but the way the words went together came from my head, thru my fingers, over the internet and to your eyes
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 19:01

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
Interesting article. I guess I really wont know if which I am until I reach my goal.

As the concept relates to smoking, I've been there and done that. Prior attempts at quitting failed because I convinced myself I could just "cut down" or "smoke occasionally" and eventually lost my determination. This time around I believe it worked because I have completely sworn off smoking, (been over 6 weeks now).

Carbs are a little different than smoking. I am not convinced that carbs are poison for everyone, (maybe for some people they are). I have a lot of fruit trees I have nurtured and cared for over the years and I'm not going to give up my idea of getting "well" until I know for sure. Hopefully, when it comes to carbs, I can one day be a moderator.

I strongly believe that carbs are as addictive to me as all my other addictions (congrats on quitting the smokes!!! You are taking on a lot at once)
I have lost weight and regained, for me I know that I need to stay away, for ever, one cigarette would lead me right back to smoking 2packs a day...
This is a hard reality for me...
I do believe in everything in moderation, but I don't do moderation, everything in life for me is all or nothing, I know this now...will I eat an occasional peach or pear or apple, hell ya! If it's natural yes, chocolate cake, probably a lot less often...
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-17, 06:56
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
Thanks for the encouragement. I read that book not long ago, but forgot the quote.
There's a lot of good "stuff" in that book that applies to me... The quote below by Dr. Atkins has really resonated with me after all the years I failed at "trying" to do A '72.
Quote:
Diet Revolution page 261

THE MAIN CHANGE THAT HAS TO BE MADE IS IN YOUR HEAD.

Success in maintaining your trim figure and your zest for living is guaranteed if you can achieve this radical change in your thinking.

If you have a chronic weight problem it is essential to totally accept, fully understand that your fat is one symptom of a lifetime disease. Your metabolizing processes are and always will be abnormal. Yes, even if you get slim and stay slim!

Many medical studies have shown that the biochemical responses of a formerly overweight person, such as the excessive insulin release when carbohydrates are eaten, are still quite different from a never-over weight person. In other words, you cannot eat what normal people eat and expect to stay thin.

So say to yourself over and over until you've got it through your rebellious head:

"My tendency to be overweight is one sign of a chronic metabolic disorder. My physiology doesn't handle certain kinds of foods as slim physiologies do. I mustn't try to compare my eating habits to those of a person who has never had a weight problem. Not now. Not ever."

"I have an illness, a lifelong illness. I can't cure it, but I can CONTROL it!"

Basic to controlling it is to understand that it is a permanent condition...about which you can do a great deal. Controlling it isn't all that difficult.
Now I KNOW I wasn't ready to accept responsibility for my own eating and acknowledging that I was a carb addict with a chronic carb metabolic processing disorder.

It took a lot of soul searching to finally reach that point in my life. To truly say to myself that if I wanted to lose the weight and keep it off, I'd have to give up those "bad" carbs forever! Yeah, it took me a good long while to be able to face those demons and purge them from my life!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-17, 07:06

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Great quote Jo. This is also my understanding of how my body functions and it helps keep me on the straight and narrow along with my understanding of how toxic sugars and grains are to my system. They are toxic, they are poisons, don't eat them. That's something that seems to be true for everyone. It makes no more sense to ingest high carb and/or processed foods than it does to inject heroin. No good will ever come of it.

Jean
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 13:39

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I am struggling with finding the right balance in maintaince. I set my regain amount at 5 pounds over goal . I hit goal in july and I am currently in week two of being back on plan because I regained 5 pds. I am doing a thirty day clean eating challenge because that's about the amount of time its going to take to lose the 5 regained pounds. I have learned that for me a 5 pound limit its too high. Next time around I am going to set it up at 3 pounds so I can lose it in two weeks. Mentally I think two weeks back on plan will be easier to deal with than 4. So lesson learned is continue to weigh in every few days and drop cals and carbs. when regain consistently hits two or threw pounds.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 13:57
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Maybe it's because of my advanced age. Or that I'm female. Or that I'm post menopausal. Or that I've "done" dieting of one kind of another over and over and over again.

This I've learned: I have to stay on plan just to maintain my weight loss.

Nobody, I repeat, nobody wants to think of eating OP for the rest of their lives. It's just a fact for many of us. We're addicts. Our bodies just don't process carbs the way some others do.

Sorry. It's a choice. Just don't lie to yourself the way I did for so many years.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 15:39

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Something must be in the air ... or maybe it's just the season, but I, too, have been maintaining for several years now, allowing myself to 'hover' 5 lbs. over or under my target weight of 125, but have been stuck at 129 for so long that I have to admit that I now weigh 129, not 125. I am back on a strict Atkins induction for two weeks and the scale is creeping down.
My plan, like madeyna, is to decrease my 'hover' amount to 3 lbs. and do a very slow climb back up the carb latter when I reach goal again. Basically, doing OWL again with one added food at a time to make sure I don't start another upward trend.
Maintenance is a very fragile and volatile state!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 11:54

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

Life would be so much easier if our bodies weight didn,t flux so much even without a fat gain. As of this morning I am almost two weeks back at induction level and the scales say I have gained a few pounds. I have been at it long enough that I am not going to let it mess with my head too much but oh what I would give to see those scales drop down in numbers. I am toying with the idea of a fasting day just to force it down.