Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 08:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/170/135
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default newbie questions

what is the minimum amount of water daily required for lc woe/induction phase?

is there a maximum # of calories, as long as you are under the max carb grams/day?

i've seen books listing anywhere from 20 to 50g of carbs per day. how much faster
would a person lose if they had 20 carb grams/day vs. 50?

how much exercise is needed, generally? is 3x per week of moderate aerobics enough?

i've been on lc woe for about 6 weeks now, staying under 30g per day, most often
take in about 25, but so far, it appears i haven't lost anything. i've been very
committed and careful. last night i got on the scale [that i've only been on three times
since starting, and it looked like i've GAINED 4 lbs.

i'm trying to trust this lc woe. it feels good to me, but i am feeling afraid
it might not be right for me. i have 100% more energy than before, and my asthma
condition has improved greatly. so i'm thrilled about those things.

but is it possible to gain weight? does this woe just not work for some folks?

i listed a more detailed page on what i am doing in the journal section of this website.

i am most grateful for all feedback, especially from people who have had success.

looking forward to your guidance,

kathryn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 09:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Kathryn, I'd suggest you pick one plan (check the "Which low-carb plan is right for me?" link to your right, under the Quick Links sidebar), read the book, and stick with it. You'll find most of your questions answered in that book.

Since most plans have slight differences, you'll drive yourself crazy if you try to take one thing from here and another from there.

Drinking water is crucial. That's one thing people agree on. The general rule seems to be 64 ounces a day (that's 8 8-ounce glasses) PLUS another glass for each 25 pounds you are overweight. (A simpler formula is to divide your weight in pounds by 2.2 to convert it into kilograms, then drink one ounce per kilogram.)

For calories, they do count, and most people would advise you to aim for 10-12 calories per pound. Eating less (and not drinking enough water) could hinder the diet.

If you're feeling better, then low carb probably is for you. I can't help on why you've gained four pounds -- I can imagine the frustration. (I saw your post last night, and perhaps the reason no one's responded so far is because no one has come up with an answer. You'll find that people around here are generally very helpful.)

Give it another two weeks. Pick a plan and stick with it. Weigh on the same scale at the same time of day once a week. OR weigh every day and average your weights at the end of the week. It is possible that if your start weight was taken at the beginning of the day, you would weigh four pounds heavier at the end of the day. Also, the weight of your clothes may make a difference.

Read through some of the journals herre. You'll find struggles and successes. But it's hard to read these jounals and still have doubts that low carb doesn't work

Good luckl!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 09:14

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: newbie questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathryn
i'm trying to trust this lc woe. it feels good to me, but i am feeling afraid it might not be right for me. i have 100% more energy than before, and my asthma condition has improved greatly. so i'm thrilled about those things.

Kathryn, it's very important that you pick one of the books you have read (as listed in your profile) and follow that plan. I recommend Protein power; it gives you a good amount of carbs and it contains the answer to everyone of the question you asked in your post. A re-read is in order.

LCing works; it must be done right however.

Water = 64 oz minimum (8 glasses) and 8 more oz for ever 25 lbs you wish to lose.

Calories = 10 - 12 times your body weight in calories every day to maintain basal metabolic functioning.

Generally speaking going below 30g of carbs wont make you lose any faster.

Often if you're exercising and come from a low fat / low calorie diet you'll show a scale gain; it's muscle. Any kind of exercise (this includes walking) involves resistance; if you've been protein and calorie deprived your body will be using what you're now feeding it to get back on track. Taking measurements is advised; scale gain doesnt mean fat gain; chances are you've actually lost some inches. Remember, fat and muscle will weigh the same, but one pound of muscle will take up less than 1/3 the volume of one pound of fat.

If you're eating more protein, exercising, and not drinking enough water chances are you're retaining water.

Protein power is a great book regardless of which plan you decide to follow. If you no longer have a copy of it check out the local library they usually have a few copies kicking around. This place, www.half.com , also sells books for pennies.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 16:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/170/135
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out Protein Power again this weekend.

I've begun to drink as much water as I can hold. I'm thinking that insufficient hydration could well be at the bottom of my troubles.

Are a majority of the members on one particular program? Has one program consistently generated more effective results than others?

It seems to me that the Atkins and Protein Power were quite similar - only the induction on Atkins was more limited than PP. Can it really make such a difference sticking to one particular plan?

Also, I tried to privately email a member, and despite the fact that I was logged in, I was denied access to that ability. Anyone know why that might be?

Feeling hopeful again, and supported by you!

Kathryn
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 17:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Are a majority of the members on one particular program? Has one program consistently generated more effective results than others?

There is a saying you will see often here. It goes, "Your milage may vary". Not everyone loses at the same rate, even on the same plan, and not everyone prefers the same plan. Picking a plan is a matter of personal choice. Also, all of the LC plans work because they are based on the same principles. What makes them not work is not following them correctly, not drinking enough water, frequent lapses.

Quote:
Also, I tried to privately email a member, and despite the fact that I was logged in, I was denied access to that ability. Anyone know why that might be?

You won't be able to PM someone until you have posted a minimum number of messages. I think it's 50 but can't remember for sure.

Good luck on your journey.