Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 20:47

Plan: IRD/SCHWARZBEIN
Stats: 159/157/129
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default A few questions from a newbie

Hi all,

until yesterday I had been trusting in the Montignac method wich I had been following in and off for 2 or 3 years now. But I went definitely off a few months ago because I wasn't as faithfull as before. There were some points of the method that were so contradictory or wasn't proved scientifically (i.e separate pro/fat and carbs).

Anyway, the declic happened yesterday when I finally read two books that I had bought last year : THE INSULIN-RESISTANT DIET and THE SCHWARZBEIN PRINCIPLES. I had started reading these books last year but closed them really soon because I wasn't ready to read such things (that was in contradiction with Montignac method which I though was reliable).

I'm happy I eventually read them because it really makes sense to me. Everything is scientifically explained and I have been given the answers I couldn't get with Montignac.

Though, as a newbie, there is still some dark points. So if anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated :

1- In the INSULIN-RESISTANT DIET, vegetable proteins (i.e lentils) don't have to be considered in my daily carb intake because they are already balanced (54gr. carbs/24gr.proteins in 100gr) and "they are not used in your body in the same way as other carbohydrates ". What about SCHWARZBEIN?

2- Do carrots (raw) are starchy vegetables or veggies. IRD does not list carrots as high-barbohydrates food because carrots have a low GL (despite their high GI). What about SP?

3- I read on the forum that there are several SC types. I don't have the new SP book so I have no way to know which type I am. Could you please help me with this?

Last edited by jujuF25 : Wed, May-07-03 at 20:49.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 08:27

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Hi and welcome Juju

I have my TSP I book loaned out right now, but I believe there are really helpful listings of many different foods and their carb counts per serving. I think cooked carrots are listed as a carb to count and raw as one not to count (not many people willeat a bag of raw carrots at a time) Can someone help me out here?? This is how I remember it and count carrots.

I also believe lentils can definitely be included (they are very nutritous). I do count them as a carb.

I think TSP I has been used by several by itself to get healthy and is a great start. I would recommend reading TSPII for further education at some point ,especially if one is aware of a hormonal imbalance, or already have a disease of metabolic aging such as HBP, diabetes, insulin resistance, etc. But take it in steps. TSPI and II are both excellent books! I found I had to go over TSPII several times to grasp it, and many have commented it is confusing, and some have said it helped to refine the program for them.

I know what you mean about the food combining theory of Montignac . I have one of his books and followed Suzanne Somer's plan for awhile (which I think is an *americanized* version) It started me on the path to controlling carbs in my diet which helped me get started, but after awhile I found it unecessary and adding stress to my life. I found that TSP made more sense for my life.

I have also read 'THe Insulin Resistant Diet' and find that very similar to TSP. The one difference being a little more allowance of refined/processed products.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 08:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Yes, Raw carrots are considered vegetables and do not count in your carbs, cooked carrots are considered in the carb count. Lentils are part of her recommended carbs.

You must be insulin resistant if you read that IR Diet book. I'm sure following either one would be an improvement. I tried the food combining thing but could only do it for one day, too complicated and not condusive to real life. I've only read the SPII book but have also heard that the first book is less complicated. You may want to get that down first and fine tune if you need to with book 2.

Welcome to the board,

Piano
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 17:23

BF:

Thanks rosarugosa and piano for your welcome and for taking time to reply me.

I read several Somersizing books as well and it's definitely the same plan as Montignac (the one difference being Montignac allows fructose). Suzanne found about this plan when she had a trip in France, and then made it popular in US.

As for The Schwarzbein Principle and The Insulin-resistant Diet , I guess it is the same plan. The one difference is that TSP allows full fat and eggs whenever I need to, when TIRD tell us to reduce the fat (only the bad fat). Also in TIRD , apples are free food; not in TSP . But I did not read TSP II so there may be more differences between the 2 plans.

That's why I don't have to be Insulin-resistant to read TIRD , because eating low-carb is a healthy woe; and I don't want to unbalance my pancreas by eating unproperly.

As for the carrots, that's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure before I eat plenty of them (it makes me tanned, I love it! )

The raw carrots are low GI (or GL) when cooked carrots are high GI. Cooking may change the GI of any aliment . That's why raw carrots are allowed as veggies, but cooked carrots are considered as high-carbohydrates. Meanwhile, carrot juice must be considered as carbs.

Too bad about lentils being considered in that carb count! I am a vegeterian and I love having vegetable proteins such as lentils. TSP and TIRS tell we have to mix the lentils with another carb (i.e rice) to get a whole protein for the body. Mix means less lentils, and then less proteins. So I must have an additional protein.

Everywhere I can read that people who read TSP II found it confusing. I think read it later when I'm more comfortable with this new woe, and if I feel the need.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 17:37

Plan: WW Lowcarb style
Stats: 280/269.5/250 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi juju! I just wanted to welcome you and say hi!
The IR diet sounds good. I make the best lentils, my grandmother tought me how to make them and they are sooo good, too bad we have to count them as carbs
Hey do carrots really make you tan? that is so cool, I had no idea, no wonder my baby's mouth gets all orange when she eats carrots!
have a great day and welcome!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 19:51

BF:

Luisa777,

thanks so much for your warm welcome!

yep, the carrots make me tan. It's due to the beta-carroten (spell?). I have always had the hardest time to get tanned. Last month, I started eating carrots on a regular basis (I had barely eaten carrots since ages because it was said to be a bad carb) and OMG! you can really see the difference.

Btw, I just checked out your profile and noticed that you were born on Sept. 15th 1980. I was born on Sept. 16th 1978. Funny

Last edited by jujuF25 : Thu, May-08-03 at 19:55.