Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 08:33

Plan:
Stats: 205/205/180
BF:
Progress:
Default LC Bread

I'm new to low carbing. (2 days) I tried the LC bread recipe last night that I found in here yesterday. Its great! I mixed the ingredients in my bread maker, then took it out and let it rise for about an hour, then baked at 350 for about 50 minutes. Fantastic. The texture is heavier than regular bread, but delicious. As an added treat this morning for breakfast, I mixed some cinnamon and sweet-n-low and sprinkled it on. Tasty!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 08:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/116/100
BF:
Progress:
Default bread

I'm confused Rob...this is only day 3 for me. When I went to the recipe section and looked at the Lo Carb bread it said "60 carbs" and on the induction diet (Atkins) it says you can only have 20 carbs a day. Is there another bread listed with less carbs than 60?

Thanks for you help....

Tina
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 09:16

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Tina it is 60 carbs per loaf, or around 4 gms per slice. Much better than the 12-15 gms per slice of normal breads.

#4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 09:21

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Question

Isn't that for the complete loaf? Not per slice? Another good quick bread for the bread machine is carbolite bread...about 2 carbs per slice. Has the heavy texture...but not as bad as the other bread machine breads...and a much better flavor...my 9 year old thinks it taste like luby's rolls! That say something by it's self!
I have everything to make the recipe here...just not the time!ha! YET!
Hey Keto products also have pancake mixs thats good to! I haven't tried the pizza dough yet. But I have it.

Also...you may want to consider switching to splenda...and get away from the chem's sweetners. Much better for you. AND TASTE SOOOOOOO GOOD! Just like sugar! texture and all!

Lorraine
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 11:18

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default lc bread

Which bread recipe did you make???
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 11:30

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default lc bread

I used the lc bread recipe from atomhockeymom. You can find it at the top under the red banner for recipes. Then scroll down to breads.

It is about 2g of carb per slice, but I found this morning that 2 slices filled me up and it lasted until noon with no hunger pangs.

Its really simple to make, but if you use a regular oven watch out for overbaking. The crust will just start to appear brown and slightly crusty when its done. Its tastes great and fills your kitchen with that super fresh-baked bread smell. Yum.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 11:31

BF:
Progress:
Default thanks

Thanks agonycat and Lorriane, guess I need to learn how to read a recipe, huh? 4 grams per slice sounds a lot better than 60 grams per slice....and I think my kids would even like it, perhaps I can get them off that Wonder Bread?

Sharon, I haven't actualy made any bread. I read Rob's comment on LC bread and went to the recipe section to look it up I beleive it was titled "Lo carb bread" anway, I apparetnly I read the carb content wrong and thought it said 60 grams per slice not 60 grams per loaf.

Sorry guys
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 11:38

BF:
Progress:
Default Flour

Thanks for the directions Rob, the bread sounds yummy and I can't wait to try it!

All the recipes seem to call for either gluton or soy flour. Can you buy gluton and soy flour at a regular grocery store? Would it be in the baking section with the rest of the flour?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 12:49

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi Tina: Yes I found both Gluten and Soy in a regular grocery store. I used the Gluten flour last night. May try the soy next time but the gluten was really good.

Good luck. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

By the way, anyone know if natural honey is okay for LC diet???
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 14:17

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

honey=pure sugar=blood sugar going up=carb cravings
(17 gms per tbls)

I wouldnt use it if I were you. Stick to the no carb sweetners.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 14:50

BF:
Progress:
Default darn it

I was hoping that someone would say "Honey? Why yes, honey is perfectly ok to eat on an LC diet" but I kinda figured you wouldn't..... hahaha

17 grams? For a little ole tablespoon? I only get 20 grams a day so it doesn't seem worth it to use up most of my carbs on a little tablespoon of honey. Now if we were talking about a bowl of ice cream.....just kidding, I'm guessing the same rule would apply there, right?

Ice cream=sugar=blood sugar going up=carb cravings

We'll just have to find something else to put on that great tasting bread, right Rob?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 17:33

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default lc bread

Hi breadmakers...the recipe I've had the most success with is Kay's Final Protein Bread recipe...which is very similar to the one Rob mentioned. I fine 30 minutes is lots of time to bake it in the oven...overbaking creates a thicker crust.

I sometimes take a couple pieces to the office with Smuckers or ED Smith Sugar Free Jam and like Rob says, it fills you right up. It's like eating a porkchop!!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 10:17

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default LC Bread

Tina: I'm disappointed about the honey, but my sweet tooth demands that I find something to substitute for sugar. I guess I'll look for some LC jelly or something similar.

One thing about the bread is that you may want to keep it refrigerated. Without preservatives and with the yeast, it may start to mold on you.

And yes indeed. It is filling. Two slices and a couple of hardboiled eggs in the morning and I don't get famished before lunch. In fact, yesterday I was barely hungry when noon rolled around, so I just had another slice of bread and one egg.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 11:30

BF:
Progress:
Default Hey Rob

I have to get up off my lazy butt and buy some of that special flour and some sugar substitute! There are all kinds of desert recipies on this site and others, but they all call for sugar substitutes...I keep searching as if I am eventualy going to find one that allows a pound of sugar! LOL

One question, I noticed in your first post (about the bread) you said you "took it out of the bread maker, let it rise and hour, and then baked it" why did you take it out of the bread maker? why did you bake it in an oven instead of leaving it in the breadmaker? At what point did you take it out...after the kneading cycle? My machine kneads then rises, then kneads and rises a second time, and then bakes.

Sorry to keep buggin you about this bread, especialy since I haven't even got the flour yet.

Tina
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 14:45

BF:
Progress:
Default no gluton flour

OK I searched every isle of the grocery store and could not find gluton or soy flour. I could find whole whet, rye, con unbleached and a couple hundred other kinds but no gluton and no soy.

I even asked the box boy and he says "flour? Look in the flour isle" Gee thanks buddy that would have never crossed my mind.... hahahaha

Can somone tell me the name of the store where I can get it or the name of the company that makes the flour?

Thanks alot