Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 01:55
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%
Default Glycerine

How and what do I count it as if I use it in a recipe. I have read the basics of glycerine metabolism. But can anybody spell this out in english so a non-biochemist can understand it.

Is it to be treated as a carb(by difference or otherwise)?
And if so at what rate and how many.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 08:44
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

When it is used in bars and franken foods, they say it can be discounted from net carbs. Many bars will use this to keep a nice texture, and sugar free icecreams will use it to keep from turning into concrete.

I have a feeling it's going to be another one of those topics where net carbs and actual effects is more of a debate then a defenative answer.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 09:24
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
When it is used in bars and franken foods, they say it can be discounted from net carbs. Many bars will use this to keep a nice texture, and sugar free icecreams will use it to keep from turning into concrete.

I have a feeling it's going to be another one of those topics where net carbs and actual effects is more of a debate then a defenative answer.

I understand all that. What I seek is if I put 1/4 of a cup of glycerine in a recipe, how many carbs is it, whether I count it or not is irrelevant.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 10:47
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Kevin--I posted the EXACT same question about 3 months ago--nobody, and I mean nobody could give me a nutritional analysis--I couldn't find one anywhere either. Everybody gives the same line about not impacting blood sugar blah, blah ,blah--yeah that's all well and good, but I still want to know in the event that I do want to count the carbs. If you can find out a number please don't keep it a secret. Won't be making nutty almond lace cookies--tooooo good! Thank goodness it only made 4.

Lisa

Here was the thread:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=271921
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 11:07
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I think part of the reason you may not be able to get a straight answer is that glycerin technically isnt really a carbohydrate but an alcohol. Glycerin is a trihydric alcohol that is derived from animal fats and plants emollients.

The food and drug administration classifies it as a carbohydrate because "When part of the fat molecule as the glycerin components of the fatty acid-glycerol esters, glycerin is included in the weight of total fat in nutrition labeling. However, when added to a food as a separate ingredient, glycerin is labeled as part of total carbohydrate. "Carbohydrates are polyhydroxy aldehydes or ketones conforming to the general formula (CH20)n and their derivatives... ...three carbon sugars include glyceraldehyde (an aldehyde) and dihydroxyacetone (a ketone). The hydrogenated derivative of both these is glycerin [CH20)3H]. The chemical definition of carbohydrate is clearly inclusive of all three compounds...There is no rational basis to consider glycerin as anything but a carbohydrate."

http://www.ift.org/divisions/food_l...n1.htm#glycerin

The number of calories in glycerin are 4.32 per gram, the same as sugar or other carbohydrates.

Based on that if you want to know how many carbs are in 1/4 cup of glycerin just throw it on the scale. How many grams does it weigh? Thats how many carbs are in it. If you want to know how many calories are in it multiply that number by 4.32.

Hope that helps.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 14:44
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Kevin--I posted the EXACT same question about 3 months ago--nobody, and I mean nobody could give me a nutritional analysis--I couldn't find one anywhere either. Everybody gives the same line about not impacting blood sugar blah, blah ,blah--yeah that's all well and good, but I still want to know in the event that I do want to count the carbs. If you can find out a number please don't keep it a secret. Won't be making nutty almond lace cookies--tooooo good! Thank goodness it only made 4.

Lisa

Yes I saw your post along with about a dozen other going back several years. I also read a very informative article about glycerine and the bottom line is the USDA calls it a carb by difference(take the total subtract out the fats and protein and whats left is carbs). Oh well, I guess I'll try counting it by weight for now till I can find an bio-chemist I can drill.

This is the link for the article http://www.getbig.com/articles/nutritionbars.htm

Anyway I made a killer batch of brownies last night using glycerine that had the perfect texture but I used dutch cocoa and the chocolate taste left me wanting. I going to try them again using different chocolate and if they turn out the same with a chocolate taste I'll post it.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 20:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was just reading in SCD that glycerine is technically a fat.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 20:55

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

If you mix glycerine with nitric acid, you get nitroglycerine and can blow the fat away.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 21:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
If you mix glycerine with nitric acid, you get nitroglycerine and can blow the fat away.

Buwahahahahahaha!!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 02:50
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

I always thought it was a fat... comes from bones, right?

e
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 02:58
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheets

e

in the link I posted above it says
Quote:
Glycerine is not fat since it has no fatty acids. Glycerine is not a protein since it has no amine group (nitrogen containing portion). The only category left is carbohydrates.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 09:46
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheets
e

Could you be thinking of gelatine??? Which in it's natural form comes from the marrow of bones
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 10:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerine

Quote:
Glycerin has approximately 27 food calories per teaspoon and is 60% as sweet as table sugar. Although it has about the same food energy as table sugar, it does not raise blood sugar levels, nor does it feed the bacteria that form plaques and cause dental cavities. Glycerin should not be consumed undiluted, as unhydrated glycerin will draw water from tissues, causing blistering in the mouth and gastric distress. As food additive, glycerin (glycerol) is also known as E number E422.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 10:10
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy

Quote:
Food energy is the amount of energy in food that is available through digestion. The values for food energy are expressed in kilocalories (kcal) and kilojoules (kJ).

One calorie is the amount of energy (heat) to raise the temperature of one gram of water one degree Celsius. The magnitude of human energy requirements makes it awkward to use such a small unit, so the convention of the capitalized Calorie is equal to 1000 lowercase calories, and is abbreviated kcal to indicate that is 1000 times as large as the calorie.

The International System of Units unit kilojoule is becoming more common. In some countries (Australia, for example) only the kilojoule is normally used. Some types of food contain more food energy than others: fats and sugars have particularly high values for food energy. One Calorie is approximately equal to 4.1868 kilojoules.

In the early twentieth century, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) developed a procedure for measuring food energy that remains in use today.

The food being measured is completely burned in a calorimeter so that the heat released through combustion can be accurately measured. This amount is used to determine the gross energy value of the particular food. This number is then multiplied by a coefficient which is based on how the human body actually digests the food.

For example, pure sugar releases about 3.95 kilocalories per gram (16.5 kJ/g) of gross energy but the digestibility coefficient of sugar is about 98% in humans, so the food energy of sugar is 0.98 × 3.95 = 3.87 kilocalories per gram (16.2 kJ/g) of sugar.

Energy content
Protein contains about 4 nutritional calories per gram (17 kJ/g)
Carbohydrates contains about 4 nutritional calories per gram (17 kJ/g)
Fat contains about 9 nutritional calories per gram (38 kJ/g)
Alcohol contains about 7 nutritional calories per gram (29 kJ/g)
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 10:21
Kitchen Experimenter

ok, but after all that......how many carbs in a 1/4 c. of Glycerine?.....lol