Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 18:32

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 200/172/140
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Sweetners and Schwarzbein

The book tells us to avoid artificial sweetners because they cause us to still crave sweets. Many of the LC recipes I have been reading are using them. How do we handle this? D o we handle this? If we ignore the premise of the book are we fooling ourselves? Is weight loss at the expense of our health an option? Is it possible to be true to SP in the real world where we want what we can't have, but some one gives us an alternative? I am troubled by my own thoughts and I have no real answers.
I am afraid for my suucess.

Judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 15:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You bring up some interesting points, and a lot of people probably wonder the same thing when faced with making a big life change. It's all very scary at first because the future is unknown. Carrying on with the status quo seems safe because at least, it's known.

Here are some of my thoughts...

I think it's important to take whatever plan you are following initially on faith. The authors have more experience with their own plans than any of us will ever have.

That said, what do you want to get out of changing your way of eating? Losing weight is only one part. There is also being freed from addictive behaviour in your relationship to food. Sweets are highly addictive, both physically and mentally. If you have ever turned to them for comfort, or called yourself "and emotional eater", you know what I mean.

Right now, you probably can't imagine life without dessert. You may think that you'll be an "outsider" when it comes to social occasions because your way of eating will be so different from everyone else's.

The way you will learn to eat with the SP will become the way you eat. It's the process that is all important. Do SP as written at first, always listening to your thoughts and how your body feels. If you feel safe after a while to venture out, do it, but again listen to your thoughts and body. Does branching out cause you to crave? Do you think about and anticipate sweets?

You are the "someone" that gives yourself the alternative. Just because it exists and other people are doing it, doesn't mean that it's right for you.

Trust me when I say that you can live quite comfortably without them. It does take a while, and it's not easy but it can be done.

From my own experience, I know I should avoid them and most of the time I do. My physical cravings are gone. When I choose to eat them, I know the consequences they carry because I have listened and learned.

There is one thing in your post that I'm not sure of.
Quote:
Is weight loss at the expense of our health an option?

I think if weight loss is achieved by starvation diets, diet pills, or any quick fix method, the answer is yes.

Do you think that you are healthy now? Not thin, not fine, but truly healthy in body mind and spirit?

How do you see your health suffering by following the Schwazbein Principle?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 20:54

BF:

Thanks for the clarity Karen. I know you are right. Why is it being right is so difficult? When I asked the question about weight loss and health I was referring to sweetners. SP believes that all AS are bad for you. The exception seems to be something called Stevia. I am not familiar with this at all.

I have had mixed results on with this new way of eating. The first two weeks I lost 7 pounds. Lots of bloat I am sure. The third week I gained 4 back. Since I have not concentisiously cheated I have to look for other reasons. I suspect I am not eating enough. And the things I am eating have too many calories. I use almonds to get me through the really busy times until I can get to a salad or something. This is do to a very busy "hands on" business. When we are putting out fires (not literally) we don't have time to eat. The funny part is, I work with food. I am busy feeding everybody else. I guess I'm a little like the cobbler with no shoes.

I am experimenting with some vegetable substitutions. Tonite I tried garlic mashed turnips. Not too bad.

My biggest challenge will be at work. I bake fresh goodies all the time. So far I have been an angel. No sweets or sugar have passed through my lips since February 1. What seems to call me are breads. I have not yielded, but that is where my biggest weakness lies.
I know what you mean about making the decision to change my way of eating. I have made that decision. Sticking to it will be a challenge. I am trying very hard and I feel a like I will be successful. I am looking forward to a month down the road and then more.

Thanks for the feed back.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 01:29
Forum Founder

BF:

If it's any encouragement, I've been in the same business as you for 25 years. It has been my triumph as well as part of my downfall. I have been with my new way of life for 2 years and 8 months.

One of the the things I told myself when I first started is that I knew what everything tasted like, so why did I have to keep on eating it? I still eat for flavour, and eat some wonderful things, but now my focus is on the right type of nourishment.

Although it's better to take a break to eat, there are ways around it. Keep cubed meat, low carb vegetables and a small amount of cheese cut into small pieces that you can munch on while you're working. It beats eating too many almonds.

Quote:
Why is it being right is so difficult?

Habits, peer pressure and addiction. It can be a tough slog at times, but you will change if you are determined and willing to keep an open mind. Listen to what your body is telling you and listen to your thoughts. It gets easier the more you do it, especially when the "carb noise" is gone.

Here's a link to info on Stevia:

What is Stevia

You may want to start a journal in the Journal Forum. It is good to have a record of how far you've come.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 12:30

BF:

Karen,

Thank you for your wisdom and experience. I'll try to get to the health food store soon and try Stevia. Its nice to know I am not alone in working with food and trying to start a new WOE. Your right about knowing how things taste. The cookies and sweets don't tempt me unless I am really hungry. They are often a quick fix. (Strike that. They used to be a quick fix.) Fortunately for me I am in charge of the menu. I have decided Fritatta will make an excellent addittion to our fare. I now will have an instant answer to my problem and the variety is wonderful in terms of flavor.

I have started a journal and I will try to keep up with it.

Here's to you! (I'm toasting with my 4th glass of water of the day) I'm off to the trenches. Asparagus Fritatta today!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 02:13
Forum Founder

BF:

Excellent!

I look forward to reading of your progress!

Karen