Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 06:13
Registered Member

Plan: LC (<25% of Cals.) & IF
Stats: 248/231/115 Female 5'5.5"
BF:52%/51%/15%
Progress: 13%
Default Bread Question

Hi!

I was wondering, is there any GI advantage to Stoneground Whole Wheat bread over a bread that lists "Whole Grain Whole Wheat Flour including the Germ" as the first ingredient?

My understanding was that the benefit of stoneground whole wheat was that it wasn't just white flour with a little brown bit thrown in. It SEEMS like my non-stoneground whole wheat bread is just as good.

If it matters, the one I get now (non-stoneground) has some flax and sunflower seed, whereas the Stoneground Whole Wheat loaf from this brand does not.

Which should I choose?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 07:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

#3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 07:19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

Hehe, thanks but that wasn't the question. I am a regular on Mark's blog too, BTW. Nevertheless, I still choose to incorporate some grains at this point in time. I am not under the impression that we NEED grains or anything...

ETA: A moderator can feel free to move this to a more appropriate section. Not looking to start an argument here, and I am hoping some folks who incorporate some low GI whole grains can advise me.

Last edited by JSchoon : Thu, Sep-22-11 at 07:27.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 07:27
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I think that those that do incorporate something like this, generally use something like Ezekiel bread, which is a sprouted whole grain bread. You can view their website here: http://www.foodforlife.com/

Most of the grocery stores around me carry it - it's kept in the freezer.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 07:30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalr
I think that those that do incorporate something like this, generally use something like Ezekiel bread, which is a sprouted whole grain bread. You can view their website here: http://www.foodforlife.com/

Most of the grocery stores around me carry it - it's kept in the freezer.

Thanks. I have used it, but I am asking more about typical loaf bread. Hmmm... Maybe this should be moved to the Semi-Low Carb forum.

I do like the Ezekiel cereal (hardly eat any cereal, but when I do it is one of my favourites!)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 07:45
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchoon
Hi!

I was wondering, is there any GI advantage to Stoneground Whole Wheat bread over a bread that lists "Whole Grain Whole Wheat Flour including the Germ" as the first ingredient?

My understanding was that the benefit of stoneground whole wheat was that it wasn't just white flour with a little brown bit thrown in. It SEEMS like my non-stoneground whole wheat bread is just as good.

If it matters, the one I get now (non-stoneground) has some flax and sunflower seed, whereas the Stoneground Whole Wheat loaf from this brand does not.

Which should I choose?

Thanks!

HI,
IMO and experience, we want to chose the bread that has the least processed grain. Sounds like both of your choices are highly processed if they have any white flour in them at all.
Thats why most of us chose the Ezekiel as it is made from sprouted grains and is a flourless bread. I have it only once in a while when I'm feeling like a slice with my eggs. I think it tastes amazing!

As far as I'm concerned, I had to avoid all flour during my weight loss. I started having some when I was very close to my goal weight. That might be a strategy you want too consider going forward.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 07:56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
HI,
IMO and experience, we want to chose the bread that has the least processed grain. Sounds like both of your choices are highly processed if they have any white flour in them at all.
Thats why most of us chose the Ezekiel as it is made from sprouted grains and is a flourless bread. I have it only once in a while when I'm feeling like a slice with my eggs. I think it tastes amazing!

As far as I'm concerned, I had to avoid all flour during my weight loss. I started having some when I was very close to my goal weight. That might be a strategy you want too consider going forward.

Thanks Judy! I am losing well and not craving or anything. At THIS point. You know how it is, though, it isn't a static thing and I may change my plan at any point.

Question: Where is the "white flour" in my bread? By processed do you mean ground without being sprouted? Just wanted to clarify that there is NO white/enriched/"wheat" flour in any of the bread I buy. Only "whole grain whole wheat including the germ" and my question is asking if I am better off switching to stoneground, if there is some advantage garnered by being ground by stone vs ground in other ways.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 08:08
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Thanks Judy! I am losing well and not craving or anything. At THIS point. You know how it is, though, it isn't a static thing and I may change my plan at any point.

Question: Where is the "white flour" in my bread? By processed do you mean ground without being sprouted? Just wanted to clarify that there is NO white/enriched/"wheat" flour in any of the bread I buy. Only "whole grain whole wheat including the germ" and my question is asking if I am better off switching to stoneground, if there is some advantage garnered by being ground by stone vs ground in other ways.

you said:
Quote:

I don't see the ingredient list of your choices so I could only guess based on your words.
When you read the list of ingredients, look to see if it says white flour anywhere. If it does, it is not your best choice.
When I say white flour, you need to know that it is in most grocery store breads.
Any White flour is like heroine to me. So they may use some white and some not white flour in the bread...too much white for me! Its all in the processing.
I'd chose the one that has the germ.
But I wouldn't buy a bread that is made from wheat alone....its not my best choice. That's why I like Ezekiel.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 08:41
Registered Member

Ah I see where our confusion is! Sorry...

Yes I am very aware that most "whole wheat bread" is basically white flour with some non-white flour and like you I want to stay away from that. "They" say that stoneground is better because then you are guaranteed for it not to be simply "white bread with a little germ thrown back in". So because of this I don't consider Wonder or Dempster's "100% Whole Wheat" the best choice necessarily.

However, my bread now is market bread - not grocery store - and BOTH choices I am considering use true whole wheat including the germ. The difference that I am confused on is, one is stoneground and the other is not specifically stoneground, though it includes some seeds and flax which lower the GI.

So my question is, is there a glycemic advantage to a wheat being specifically stoneground, that would warrant my choosing it over my current bread which is NOT stoneground, but does contain flax and seeds (both of which contribute to lower glycemic index). Or, on the flip side, would the flax and seeds in the non-stoneground loaf be a better choice (being low GI) even considering the wheat isn't stoneground.

If I understand you correctly, out of the two, you would pick the one with flax and seeds, since it isn't just wheat... That's my thinking too, and if I can make it to the market early enough the lady has also some 12-grain choices which may be even better?

I hope this makes it clear! Sorry, it was my mistake!

Last edited by JSchoon : Thu, Sep-22-11 at 08:47.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 08:45
Attitude is a Choice

Being that you don't know how they process the one that isn't stoneground, I'd chose the one that has the flax, seeds and is lower GI.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 08:54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Being that you don't know how they process the one that isn't stoneground, I'd chose the one that has the flax, seeds and is lower GI.

Now IF I can make it to the market early enough, should I consider her 12-grain loaf? No seeds at all, but it has some spelt, barley, oat, etc. It is probably the least percentage wheat she has. Though she does have a loaf that is mostly OAT, but it also contains a little honey.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 09:21

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Since you seem determined to have bread, yes, the one with the least GI impact would be your best bet, I'd think. One of the worst things about modern wheat is that it has a GI impact greater than that of a Snickers bar, per the book Wheat Belly.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 09:39
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I wonder how much honey is in the 12 grain - that would be a turn off to me.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 09:40
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Now IF I can make it to the market early enough, should I consider her 12-grain loaf? No seeds at all, but it has some spelt, barley, oat, etc. It is probably the least percentage wheat she has. Though she does have a loaf that is mostly OAT, but it also contains a little honey.

Yes, consider the 12 grain loaf. I'd consider the oat loaf, even with a bit of honey.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 14:39
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
I am losing well and not craving or anything. At THIS point. You know how it is, though, it isn't a static thing and I may change my plan at any point.

I also wanted to add something that I didn't share earlier.
When I started out 7 years ago, I couldn't deal with the thought of giving up certain foods forever.....it really pushed my buttons, so to speak. The feeling of being deprived of my old favs was more than my mind could tolerate.
So I made a deal with myself. I picked 2 foods and would alllow myself to have a small portion once a month.
For me, that meant 2 ozs of Dreamfields pasta or 1/2 of a real NYC bagel, insides scooped out.
I did that for the entire time I was in weight loss mode and I made it work for me. Now that time has gone by, my food has evolved to a new place and I no longer even miss the Dreamfields....or the bagel and haven't had either in a couple of years.

So...I wanted you to know that I read your journal and wanted to say that I think that you need to make a deal with yourself too.