Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-13, 21:26
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 220/207/170 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Intermittent fasting plus Paleo?

I fell off the wagon a few years ago but got back into Paleo in January. Since then I've put on about 3 kilos and was wondering what was happening. Then I saw Eat, Fast and Live Longer on TV - it's a BBC documentary looking at latest research into the effects of intermittent fasting. The presenter (a medical journalist) is now on the plan himself and has published a book I'm buying.

I expect a lot of members have heard of "Alternate Day Fasting", "The 5:2 Diet" etc. What they all have in common is that you eat normally on your feeding days but on several non consecutive days (every other day, or two days a week or whatever) you limit your intake to 600 calories for men and 500 calories for women. So it's not strict "fasting" as such, just quartering your daily intake of calories on those days.

They've found that you can lose a couple of pounds a week, but that other things improve as well over time, such as blood pressure, good cholesterol, blood sugar levels - and it can even protect against cancer and Alzheimers.

Strikes me that this really mirrors the Paleo way of life - make a big kill, gorge for a few days till the deer or bison or goat is eaten then subsist for a day or so on the occasional egg or what you can scrounge off bushes until you make the next kill.

I've decided to do the 4:3 version, with diet days on Mon, Wed and Fri, and take weekends off. And eat Paleo of course.

Typical diet day for me is no breakfast, lunch of 3 eggs and a couple of tomatoes, then later a bit of grilled chicken and some veggies to total 600cal.

Will report progress - currently 94 kilos whatever that is in feet, leagues or ounces
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-13, 22:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/195/175 Female 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

Look forward to seeing how this goes for you!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-13, 00:25

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

600 cals- its a bit meagre isn't it? Or is that the idea?

A fellow aussie here- and a new paleo. We also have similar starting weights. I was with toying the idea of IF- but I remember before paleo I was eating about600-800 cals per day, and it was hard work for nothing. Since I started paleo 2 months ago I have had a heap of success, and am still losing at a steady rate- trying to suck down as much fat as I can (however I refuse to drink butter lol) seems to be working for me ATM.

I will certainly be interested in hearing how you go with IF because I'm sure to stall at some point and might give it a go.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-13, 04:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I'm all for whatever version of IF works for you, assuming that you are comfortable while doing it. Only concern, particularly for women, is the stress from being very hungry. Paleo + IF is doable and appears rather common among the many Paleo blogs I read.

However just for an another viewpoint, Zoe Harcombe recently posted her analysis of the 5:2 Diet and how it might work, which you may find of interest.
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2013/04/the-2-day-diet/
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-13, 10:21

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

I think I saw that documentary. I don't think the guy was on a paleo diet was he? If he wasnt, then taking a break from foods that are not that great can probably be a good thing but I really dont see how taking a break from good foods (paleo) is all it's cracked up to be
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-01-13, 09:02

Plan: paleo/optimal diet
Stats: 235/195/185 Male 5feet 11inches
BF:12%
Progress: 80%

Im following a very similar path!

I decided to take up alternate day fasting, and follow a "Lacto-paleo" diet.

I usually follow Optimal Diet ratios, but on my fast days I eat about 100g fat with very little protein or carbs. Very similar to the Atkins "fat fast". About 1000 calories. I think the end result is the same as 600cal of veggies/protein because of the hormone balance. The fats also provide great energy boost, so its really not hard to do.

Ive no idea how much weight Ive lost, but I appear much leaner already, and its only been about a week and a half. Im starting at 208lbs, about 95kg, so we shall see where I end up.

Keep us posted with your results!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-01-13, 09:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have a really hard fasting. I get WAY hungry.

I'm definitely the female rat in this article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/wome...ittent-fasting/

Quote:
In male rats:

No matter the duration or degree of nutritional stress, male rat brain chemistry responds with similar changes. Nocturnal activity and cognition stay fairly stable, regardless of the intensity of the fast. If you push the fast long enough, males will get a little wonky and frantic, but overall they maintain pretty well. It’s like they’re equipped with the ability to handle nutritional stressors.

In female rats:

Any degree of nutritional stress (fasting or mere caloric restriction) causes increased wakefulness (during the day, when they normally sleep), better cognition (for finding food), hyper alertness, and more energy. In short, female rats become better at finding and acquiring food when they fast, as if their bodies aren’t as well-equipped to deal with the stress of going without food. They also become less fertile, while the males actually become hornier and more fertile (probably to account for the females’ plummeting fertility). Ovary size drops (bad for fertility), adrenal gland size increases (which in rats indicates exposure to chronic stress), and menstrual cycles begin to dysregulate in proportion to the degree of caloric restriction.

In humans, the male-female fasting literature is quite scant, but Stefani also found considerable differences beween the sexes, when data was available:

One study, which I’ve cited before as evidence of a benefit to fasting, found that while IF improved insulin sensitivity in male subjects, female subjects saw no such improvement. In fact, the glucose tolerance of fasting women actually worsened. Ouch.
Another study examined the effect of alternate day fasting on blood lipids. Women’s HDL improved and their triglycerides remained stable; men’s HDL remained stable and their triglycerides decreased. Favorable, albeit sex-specific results.
Later, both obese men and women dropped body fat, body weight, blood pressure, total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglyercides on a fasting regimen. These people were obese, however, and perimenopausal women were excluded from the study, so the results may not apply to leaner people or women of reproductive age.

And I also resemble human females. Funny that!

I always considered myself a failure at IF and IER. It is good to know that my rat sisters are too!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, May-01-13 at 09:22.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-02-13, 04:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

And after our rat sisters "diet", then they binge to make up for it.
New Dr Briffra post on the female binging in rats
http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/05/02/...than-male-rats/

For a while this spring I added a "safe starch", sweet potato, to dinner, and then was able to IF to noon the next day. Without the carbs, I too am an IF failure. And I did not lose weight, whole point of the experiment, so I am back to eating breakfast.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-05-13, 17:39

Plan: paleo/optimal diet
Stats: 235/195/185 Male 5feet 11inches
BF:12%
Progress: 80%

Yea, I definitely think its easy to fast. On occasion though, I get a super heightened sense of my surroundings, and all my senses are ignited. Especially my sense of smell.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 23:46

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

I have to wonder what on earth people are eating on their non fast days that makes them feel so sub-optimal? Surely the food that we eat should be making us feel good?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-14, 05:41

Plan: paleo
Stats: 167/167/140 Female 68
BF:
Progress:

H BeachBum - did you try the 5:2 diet with Paleo? Wondering how it went as I'm thinking about giving it a go.

Thanks
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 11:13

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am Paleo with a lot of food allergies like no nuts, eggs etc. I eat lunch at 11:00a.m. which is usually a salad with kale, veggies, meat & raisins, EVOO & vinegar & honey for dressing, then maybe a light dinner at 6:00p.m. or earlier. Then nothing till the next day at 11:00a.m.. If I am traveling etc I can go all day without eating. I have to have meat at dinner at least every other day. The meatless dinner day I can skip dinner with no problems. Needless to say i have no problems with blood sugar. This is now just my routine of life and how I feel the best. With all my food allergies I feel best when not consuming food all the time.